Indian Cinema Recommendations?

Started by Bud_Clay, April 21, 2003, 10:55:02 PM

Bud_Clay

I work at an independent theatre & they are wanting to expand to audiences with a bit more cultural interest than What A Girl Wants. Being as they have a connection to an Indian restaurant they are wanting to show Indian films with Indian cuisine on special nights. I'd like to save them from blindlessly picking titles like "Lagaan", as I know they are proned to do. I really have never felt influenced to watch an Indian film, seeing as they've never been recommended or promotioned very well. Can anyone tell me some Indian titles that are absolute musts?.. I checked out the Criterion Collection for Indian films and to my surprise they have zero. Recommendations?...anything crucial to see?

Ghostboy

My personal favorite Indian film is Mira Nair's 'Monsoon Wedding.' It's really wonderful.

I know Satyajit Ray's 'Apu Trilogy' is highly acclaimed, but I've never seen them and am pretty sure they're not available on DVD yet.

Of the handful of Bollywood films I've seen, the best is 'Dil Se,' which is a three hour long political romance musical. It's got some pretty awesome musical numbers in it.

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyMy personal favorite Indian film is Mira Nair's 'Monsoon Wedding.' It's really wonderful.

I know Satyajit Ray's 'Apu Trilogy' is highly acclaimed, but I've never seen them and am pretty sure they're not available on DVD yet.

Of the handful of Bollywood films I've seen, the best is 'Dil Se,' which is a three hour long political romance musical. It's got some pretty awesome musical numbers in it.

Apu Trilogy is available in the UK on DVD.  I posted the link somewhere in the DVD Hype forum.

I'd recommend Lagaan, Dil Chahta Hai, Aalavandhaan (campy thriller), Mission Kashmir, and of course, any of Satyajit Ray's films.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: GhostboyMy personal favorite Indian film is Mira Nair's 'Monsoon Wedding.' It's really wonderful.

I've heard of Monsoon Wedding...I only recall the title though. Thanks I'll definitely be looking into all of those.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: RaviI'd recommend Lagaan, Dil Chahta Hai, Aalavandhaan (campy thriller), Mission Kashmir, and of course, any of Satyajit Ray's films.

Really? Was "Lagaan" actually good? I remember seeing the trailer for it and not being able to control my laughter.

Thank you, tis all noted.

blu

anything with this babe in it.  ohhhhh ,yeaaaaaa!

Ravi

Quote from: Bill Maplewood
Quote from: RaviI'd recommend Lagaan, Dil Chahta Hai, Aalavandhaan (campy thriller), Mission Kashmir, and of course, any of Satyajit Ray's films.

Really? Was "Lagaan" actually good? I remember seeing the trailer for it and not being able to control my laughter.

Thank you, tis all noted.

If the Lagaan trailer you saw was like the one on the Mission Kashmir DVD, then I totally understand your response.  The subject matter of Lagaan is nothing new, but the acting is good, the songs are good, the technical values are way above average for an Indian film, and the script/direction are such that it gives a new twist to material we've seen before in some form.  It's pretty long, about 3 hr 45 min, but it is entertaining.

Right now Hindi cinema is in a slump.  There hasn't been a hit so far this year, and a ton of films are remakes of either Hollywood films or of Indian films of other languages.  Keep in mind that there are a variety of languages in India, so they all have their own industries and good films.  "Bollywood" is the term used to describe Hindi cinema from Bombay (now Mumbai), and it does not represent all of India.

The actress posted by Blu is Aishwarya Rai, and she's going to be on the jury of the next Cannes film festival.  They probably chose her just for the glamour, since she's not a particularly outstanding actress.

FYI, in late 2002, "Kaante", a Hindi remake of Reservoir Dogs/City on Fire, was released.  It was shot in LA with an American crew.  It's awful, but its out there if you are curious.  None of the wit of RD is in the remake, and the script is downright terrible.  They give back stories to all the characters and reasons as to why they enter crime.  The Harvey Keitel equivalent has a sick wife, one has a mentally handicapped sister, etc.  It's really hokey.  Plus there are songs.  The cinematography is annoyingly flashy, with almost constant use of speed ramping, and all outdoor shots have an annoying orange tint.

xerxes

Bud_Clay

Quote from: RaviFYI, in late 2002, "Kaante", a Hindi remake of Reservoir Dogs/City on Fire, was released.  It was shot in LA with an American crew.  It's awful, but its out there if you are curious.  None of the wit of RD is in the remake, and the script is downright terrible.  They give back stories to all the characters and reasons as to why they enter crime.  The Harvey Keitel equivalent has a sick wife, one has a mentally handicapped sister, etc.  It's really hokey.  Plus there are songs.  The cinematography is annoyingly flashy, with almost constant use of speed ramping, and all outdoor shots have an annoying orange tint.

that sounds putrid. i hate production companies that think it's a good idea to do remakes of shit just because they don't speak the original language.

Ravi

I recently saw a funny film called Mumbai Matinee.  Much of it is in English.

Chester R Pennywinkle

Swarthy blokes those Indians are. I lost many of fine plantations over there after their so called ' independence'.
Rather...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Chester R PennywinkleSwarthy blooks those Indians are. I lost many of fine plantations over there after their so called ' independence'.

You just started and you've already managed to post once in almost every forum. (at least every one in the upper portion) Welcome and take note you are the first to do this since Godardian. But, welcome to the boards and hope you enjoy the kindness from everyone that is cloaked in bitter fighting as mature as a 12 year old little brother.

Chester R Pennywinkle

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: Chester R PennywinkleSwarthy blooks those Indians are. I lost many of fine plantations over there after their so called ' independence'.

You just started and you've already managed to post once in almost every forum. (at least every one in the upper portion) Welcome and take note you are the first to do this since Godardian. But, welcome to the boards and hope you enjoy the kindness from everyone that is cloaked in bitter fighting as mature as a 12 year old little brother.

Thank you kind sir. It has been a pleasant surprise to find most everyone welcoming and kind. I feel that I shall enjoy my stay here.
Rather...

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?