Gabi on the Roof in July

Started by jenkins, December 23, 2012, 01:50:00 PM

jenkins

This one's on Netflix streaming. Basically I've been devouring the movies listed at noudgefilms.com, since I discovered that site by a confluent Bad Fever watching and St. Nick posting. I wrote about William Never Married here, but the lowbudge scene is diverse enough that the things I wrote about that movie hardly apply to Gabi on the Roof in July.

Basically, this movie makes it seem like Eric Rohmer wrote in broad strokes. Really precise character details that steer the narrative in such an extraordinarily organic way.

I feel like Gabi on the Roof in July is notable because of the high number of character details, and the consistency of those details, and the way they form large-feeling characters -- I feel like there's more detail here than you usually see, maybe, it's tough to compare really, but maybe more than you see in like a Baumbach or Bujalski movie, I think, at least it seems that way 'cause everyone talks an awful lot and you learn a lot about them and they interact with each other in interesting ways that end up overlapping psychological dynamics.

Also means that it's one of those movies in which everyone is supposed to be so interesting that they can just sit around shooting the shit or otherwise leading their normal lives and little else has to happen cinematically. I think the photography is consistently pretty, but basically it's people standing around talking, that ol' thing. Done really really well. They do things like drink alcohol and eat and talk about art, you know what I mean. I think everyone is white, you know. You know.

If you like these movies like I like these movies, this is one to watch.

Have you seen it already? Well, you should've said something! Go on --