Carrie (2013)

Started by MacGuffin, October 15, 2012, 11:05:47 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: March 13, 2013

Starring: Chloƫ Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore, Judy Greer, Gabriella Wilde

Directed by: Kimberly Peirce

Premise: A sheltered high school girl unleashes her newly developed telekinetic powers after she is pushed too far by her peers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

I can't find anything wrong with this, but I know it's there. Gotta be somethin'

I've always wanted to see an extended, more detailed version of the catastrophe at the end ( do they have to spoil it for the kids? ) and that's really the only reason to remake this movie. Everyone onboard seems good, but they'll NEVER top that opening scene, I'd like to see 'em try. Can't beat credit bush.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

Just saw the trailer, gives away everything. Unnecessary film.

Reel

check out Gregg Turkington's review, he makes sure not to spoil it:

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

kimberly peirce has a people talent. she's good at spotting the particulars of a person that shape a social life. somewhere in the middle of this movie are 20 or so minutes that i felt accurately portrayed the complexities of individuals and how those complexities fuse into the structures of high school power dynamics. imo, for 20 or so minutes, characters form through believable and realistic representations that help gel the plight of carrie

yet while admiring certain foundational layers and their inclusion, i think they're surrounded by nonsense, and peirce's greatest abilities aren't able to be fully represented. this one starts badly and ends badly. that's some religious and mystical bullshit. chloƫ moretz gives a fine performance, which helps, but a disappointing dedication to a disappointing genre waters down the full picture

i think carrie 2013 impressively illustrates how people have changed since the original movie, and disastrously illustrates how genre movies have changed since the original. they gotta be all explosive and fantastical now, and from those points they drift from their characters. i'm generalizing. it's not always true. it's true here