Dark Horse

Started by wilder, November 29, 2011, 05:42:13 PM

Reel

So, I was rating my purchases on Amazon and they were all satisfactory except this one firewire cord I bought that wouldn't work. I don't even think it was their fault, the computer I was using it on was probably outdated. Anyway I rated it 1* and said it was a piece of shit, and I was given a refund of $4, so guess who's watching Dark Horse on Amazon prime tonight? And guess who else is watching my copy of 'Welcome To The Dollhouse' right now? ( my little sister and her friends.. love it )

you guys should really take advantage of this. I'm gonna start complaining about everything I buy online, see what happens...

Jeremy Blackman

I saw this last night, and I feel somewhat indifferent. I think I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Todd Solondz is apparently done making confrontational movies.

But if I ignore that context, it's a really good and very strange movie. I especially liked how it handled dream sequences. The Toys R Us scenes were fantastic.

Maybe I should revisit Life During Wartime and see if I can appreciate it without expecting something big to happen.

Reel

This was the first of Solondz films that I totally understood upon first viewing and there wasn't any confusion about if he was using his characters as a mouthpiece for himself or not. Abe is pretty clearly laid out as a despicable person by the way he treats those closest to him, yet he seeks redemption, and as audience members we have to ask ourselves- does he deserve it? His behavior throughout the film makes a great case for why he doesn't and the way things turn out for him follow suit ( no spoilers ). In the end, like most of Solondz work, the film presents the question of- what kind of values do we root for when we partake in a cinematic experience? Should an unsavory character have his day in the sun or get what's coming to him? It all depends on how much you identify with the material, I guess. However you approach it, you can't deny how bittersweet the outcome of this film is.

Definitely a buy from me. I've already seen it twice and I think it deserves more viewings. It might even be one of my favorites of Solondz because my initial reaction to it was so positive. All of his other films have left me really confused the first time I watched them and I had to wrestle with them for awhile before I could decide if I liked them or not. With this I felt like I was along for the ride from the very start- I really enjoyed it, probably made me laugh the most of any of his films with Abe's childish antics.

Solondz is on WTF today, should be the best interview with him ever. Since Maron totally get's him and doesn't shy away from the tough questions or treading heavy emotional terrain.

classical gas

This is on Netflix instant now, for real.  Who else is gonna stick it in their queue and think about watching it sometime?

Stefen

Quote from: classical gas on January 18, 2013, 03:23:43 PM
This is on Netflix instant now, for real.  Who else is gonna stick it in their queue and think about watching it sometime?

I watched it. Thought it was dumb. It's basically Forever Alone: The Movie. There's one plot point that is kind of edgy, but it's mostly just about a fat nerd doing fat nerd things.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jenkins

if that was like an audience card it'd be a total shrugger. movie is or isn't good, but obvs about things, has things

ElPandaRoyal

I saw this yesterday and even though I didn't love it, it made me feel quite uncomfortable and been thinking a lot about it. It has a great central character, the kind that makes you laugh at for being such an idiot but you can see has very strong demons inside him. Good watch, reminded me I still have to take a look at some Solondz's stuff I've missed, like Palindromes and Life During Wartime.
Si