Drive

Started by wilder, May 17, 2011, 09:16:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pozer on September 23, 2011, 10:48:07 PMi think i forgot most of it when i was watching.

How could you forget the trailer while watching the movie? I saw the trailer only once, but it had an impact on me. We both know those were some absolutely key scenes, in terms of plot and visuals. I recognized at least 4 or 5 key scenes from the trailer (how could you not?), and the giant hole where the tension or revelation should have been was profoundly disappointing.

Sure, there were still other scenes that were surprising/suspenseful/revelatory, but about half as many as there should have been.

I normally avoid trailers, but people were going nuts about it in this thread so I felt compelled to join in.

My complaint is with the trailer, not the movie. Still liked the movie very much.

pete

Quote from: Pozer on September 23, 2011, 10:48:07 PM
and i almost think telling people how spoilery that trailer was is more spoilery than the trailer.

SPOILER
the above statement was vapid and contained no logic nor counterargument.
END SPOILER
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

mainly was speaking about Jer Black's pointing out/highlighting mask/window scene being spoils. "you watched that trailer you will be spoiled and dont expect to be surprised by anything!"

rewatching trailer there was one too many spoiler images in there. personally i didnt think too much about them while engrossed in the movie. trailer by no means ruined all surprises. forget it.

squints

I'm givin' you a to tell you how i feel....

I cannot stop listening to this fucking song.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Wow. Yeah, great song. Thanks for linking it. I've never bumped a soundtrack before I saw a movie before. I'm about to do that! ( hope it's not spoilerific tho )

Stefen

It's awesome. That rare type of film that is both style AND substance.

The music was great and I can swear I heard bits of The Social Network score in there. Two separate pieces of it, too.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

theyarelegion

Quote from: S.R. on September 26, 2011, 07:29:55 PM
The music was great and I can swear I heard bits of The Social Network score in there. Two separate pieces of it, too.

did you download the screener torrent? I saw it in the cinema at the weekend and then downloaded the torrent yesterday and there's pieces from The Social Network in there that weren't there when I saw it first.

Stefen

Quote from: theyarelegion on September 26, 2011, 08:31:32 PM
Quote from: S.R. on September 26, 2011, 07:29:55 PM

did you download the screener torrent? I saw it in the cinema at the weekend and then downloaded the torrent yesterday and there's pieces from The Social Network in there that weren't there when I saw it first.

Yes, which I regret big time. But it wasn't playing near me until this weekend and I couldn't wait. I'm going to catch it on the big screen on Saturday.

I watched it again last night. It's really, really good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

I thought it was a good rip, a screener at least. I still don't think it does the movie justice on my lil laptop screen, but I can't afford going to the movies anymore. I don't wanna just be another asshole saying it was good so I'm gonna go on the record and say it sucked.

martinthewarrior

A miscast Mulligan spends another movie, ala "money never sleeps", looking worried and doing nothing else. Gosling's performance was so stiff and self conscious that it was drawing laughs. I have to admit, I joined in. No chemistry between any of the characters. A whole lot of hollow heist cliches wrapped up in an admittedly beautiful package. Wanted to love this, but it rang so completely hollow. By the end I was trying to convince a friend that it was just a big joke about American action movies. Right down to the wasted A-list cast. Really disliked it, either way. Brookes did turn in a great performance, despite coming off as a completely unconvincing gangster. How are both things I just said possible? I don't know. Probably a testament to the movie's underlying weirdness, which I liked. Just didn't like anything below that weird surface. Plan to watch it again. A lot of smart people are responding to it so positively. Saw the Times review today, and think it articulated most of my problems with the movie.

squints

Hmmmm, so if a film has characters that speak very little dialog throughout, then that means their performances were hollow and their talent wasted? You're saying the only person who was any good was Albert Brooks, who guess what?, just happens to have the most lines!

i don't agree.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

I thought the performances were good, especially Gosling and Mulligan. To say Mulligan did nothing and Gosling was stiff suggests that a rewatch is in order.

Cranston did a surprisingly good job creating a distinct character. (SPOILER) Also, the scene where Brooks cuts Cranston was absolutely chilling, the nurturing way he says "that's it, it's over" etc.

Ron Perlman was a little unconvincing and stereotypical, but at least he had a small role.

I think the movie could have been amazing with a better screenplay, so I won't argue that there was wasted potential. But in the end it's 90% a director's movie, so it works.

Stefen

I thought Mulligan was miscast because she didn't do shit but stand there and smile or do the deer in headlights thing. She's better than that.

Jeremy Blackman

It was a silent role, but that doesn't mean she did nothing. I dunno... I saw of acting going on there.

Reel

You saw a BIT of acting there, is what you're saying? I did too, and I saw that in every actor in the movie, they all do bits of GREAT acting. It took me awhile to not be annoyed by Gosling's goofy dumb face but I got over it, because Refn is so good. Is that it, or is it Winding Refn?