Martha Marcy May Marlene

Started by wilder, March 20, 2011, 04:10:00 PM

JG

Quote from: S.R. on October 22, 2011, 04:54:16 PM
What this place needs is some controversy. It needs a polarizing film or something.

I think this movie might do it. Honestly, I'll be confused if at least some of you don't share my view that this movie is totally vapid.

72teeth

This was great! Both visually and and from a storytelling standpoint.
It made me ask myself a question that i think would be a compliment for any work of art: Do I listen enough?
I think someone hit Olsen's nose with a shrink-ray, she a quarter inch of nose between hot girl and alien

SPOI

I'm glad this stayed M's story and never delved into the leader or another character's story.
I definitely would have ended it differently, but who the fuck am i...
ive always told myself that a good storyteller knows when one story ends and another begins, that i think applies to this. But a better example is Love Liza.
I think ive suggested Love Liza before, but in case you didn't listen: SEE LOVE LIZA
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

RegularKarate

I saw this.  I can't say that I liked it as much as everyone else here, but I did enjoy it.

Elizabeth Olsen's tits are a good actress and everyone did a great job in the movie.  I liked the flashback nature and the pacing was pretty great except for some dragging moments around the halfway point.

I don't think it's very rewatchable though.

SPOILERS

I really didn't like the ending.  I'm getting tired of "ambiguous for ambiguous".  I don't think it does anything for this story and I felt it just distracted from having an actual end to a story.  If it were going to end this way, the movie should have been shorter.

Reel

Elizabeth Olsen....So hot

John Hawkes....So Manson

That's pretty much all you need to know. You don't even have to see it, really.

socketlevel

Quote from: Reelist on December 14, 2011, 02:45:22 AM

John Hawkes....So Manson

Not true. I know you're being tongue and cheek, but man i totally forgot to nominate this film. i think it's one of the 5 best of the year, possibly even winning the cinematography award.

should be in the redux
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

Quote from: socketlevel on May 23, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

John Hawkes....So Manson

Not true. I know you're being tongue and cheek, but man i totally forgot to nominate this film. i think it's one of the 5 best of the year, possibly even winning the cinematography award.

should be in the redux

I don't even remember why I didn't like it. Think it just left me confused...Yeah, disregard that comment. I'll watch it again, I just hope it doesn't make me too depressed.

socketlevel

Quote from: Reelist on May 23, 2013, 04:05:43 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on May 23, 2013, 03:27:23 PM

John Hawkes....So Manson

should be in the redux

I don't even remember why I didn't like it. Think it just left me confused...Yeah, disregard that comment. I'll watch it again, I just hope it doesn't make me too depressed.

It's a good kind of confused, like is her headspace a product of that environment or is there something to actually be afraid of.
the one last hit that spent you...