MacGuffin

Best Film: DISTRICT 9

THE NOMINEES

District 9
Inglourious Basterds
A Serious Man
Up
Where the Wild Things Are
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I Love a Magician

i'm assuming the votes got split up somehow

Sleepless

This was my prediction, although it is not what I voted for. Quality film, but not a classic. Perfectly appropriate winner of the Xixaxies though, akin to Children Of Men winning back in 2007.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Gamblour.

I think this is great (and I'm pretty sure I voted for it!)
WWPTAD?

New Feeling

Quote from: Sleepless on March 06, 2010, 12:32:13 PM
This was my prediction, although it is not what I voted for. Quality film, but not a classic. Perfectly appropriate winner of the Xixaxies though, akin to Children Of Men winning back in 2007.

in that they are both horribly overrated pseudo-serious sci-fi films that will be all but forgotten in 20 years?

definitely the worst of the nominees.  major xixax fail

Stefen

Children of Men isn't overrated.

I thought for sure WTWTA would win (and it should have).
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Captain of Industry

Only fully serious films which will be remembered by all and for eternity deserve this award.

john

I'm surprised by this as well. It was a completely competent film, and I was relatively engaged while watching it on initial viewing, but I didn't think it would hold peoples affections to strongly months after it's release.

I appreciate that it integrates a faux-documentary style with a classic cinematic structure without being too clumsy, makes fine use of special effects, and delivers a terrific performance by an unknown actor (and to do all this within a relatively large summer film as well)... but that doesn't make it any more interesting on repeat viewings. At this point, seeing it again would almost be a chore.

Really, every film nominated in this category was superior to District 9.

I also don't understand the comparisons to Children of Men, other than they belong in the same section at the video store.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Gold Trumpet

District 9 deserved to win for the sole reason its praises have been far more interesting than its dissents. I'm still looking for some reasons why this sucked or wasn't that great, but it's being summed up by general distaste.

Sleepless

Quote from: john on March 06, 2010, 04:32:08 PM
I also don't understand the comparisons to Children of Men, other than they belong in the same section at the video store.

Don't get me wrong, both films are great. I thoroughly enjoy both of them. D9's screenplay alone is an awesome lesson in structure and originality. But is it really the best film of the year? Personally, I don't think so. But out of the nominated films I didn't vote for, so glad this won.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

children with angels

Come on...

Quote from: Captain of Industry on March 06, 2010, 02:51:21 PM
fully serious films

Really? I feel there may be some serious anti-genre-film snobbery to this. D9 didn't get my vote, but I can't get behind objections on the grounds of lack of so-called seriousness.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

modage

Quote from: kal on March 06, 2010, 12:15:25 PM
really?

If we had counted the nominations instead of final votes, this would have swept the awards.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

THis was good.  I'm drunk, and I'm going to comment on every award I think I should say something about.

I think I voted for a serious man, though.

This movie is cool.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Captain of Industry

Quote from: children with angels on March 06, 2010, 10:24:25 PM
Come on...

Quote from: Captain of Industry on March 06, 2010, 02:51:21 PM
fully serious films

Really? I feel there may be some serious anti-genre-film snobbery to this. D9 didn't get my vote, but I can't get behind objections on the grounds of lack of so-called seriousness.

Actually I said, "Only fully serious films which will be remembered by all and for eternity deserve this award," and it was intended to be a sardonic jab at New Feeling's accusation of District 9 being a semi-serious film that will be forgotten in 20 years (as if that alone disqualifies it from bestness).

I thought "fully serious" and "by all and for eternity" were good enough joke indicators.