MacGuffin

Best TV Show: MAD MEN

THE NOMINEES

30 Rock
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Lost
Mad Men
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

the lack of Breaking Bad is a disgrace i can only attribute to the lack of people seeing it, but this is an excellent runner-up.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

In a world where Best translates to "Overrated, but watchable"...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on March 07, 2010, 12:32:13 AM

Fuck you if you think Mad Men is overrated...

Stefen

Watched like the first 10 eps a few months ago. Wasn't feeling it. I voted for It's Always Sunny. Would have been happy with 30 Rock.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Happy with Mad Men, but surprised LOST didn't win.  I think it's suffering for it's weaker new season, like the Norbit-Dreamgirls Eddie Murphy incident.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: kal on March 07, 2010, 01:41:25 AM

Consider me fucked.

Also, fuck everyone who didn't even get Peep Show nominated.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on March 08, 2010, 07:32:25 PM

Pretty sure me, you, and mod were the only ones who nominated it.  Also pretty sure we're the only ones who have watched it.  Maybe next year.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

i love peep show to death but this season wasn't quite in the top 5 of the year for me. it did have a few awesome (!) eps, but the finale was a real disappointment. the performances went off the rails/stopped being believable. next year perhaps.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: picolas on March 08, 2010, 09:55:20 PM
i love peep show to death but this season wasn't quite in the top 5 of the year for me. it did have a few awesome (!) eps, but the finale was a real disappointment. the performances went off the rails/stopped being believable. next year perhaps.

Please help me out and give me some of your reasons for not liking season 5.  I thought season 5 was stellar.  I mean, holy shit, the finale was in no way a disappointment...

************ SPOILER ALERT *************
It was one of the most monumental buildups as a season and it ends with either Jeremy or Mark being the father of Sophie's child.  Jeremy and Super Hans join a Scientology type cult and Jeremy is only snapped back into reality when Super Hans destroys the HD TV... what else did you want to happen?  I was in tears the whole season.  Especially the new girl Mark is interested in that's into LARPing...

Hell, what DIDN'T you like?

polkablues

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on March 08, 2010, 10:40:13 PM
Especially the new girl Mark is interested in that's into LARPing...

I love Dobbie.  She's been the best addition to the show of the last couple series.

And I think you're missing a season, Walrus.  Season 6 was the latest one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh fuck you're right.  I still haven't seen 6.

I guess I was off by a year then, so maybe season 6 wasn't so good.  I'll be downloading that now and I'll watch it all in one sitting tonight and then maybe I'll have a rebuttal.

picolas

also, reread my post. i never said i didn't like the season.

pete

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on March 08, 2010, 07:32:25 PM
Quote from: kal on March 07, 2010, 01:41:25 AM

Consider me fucked.

I'm with ya about Mad Men.  I mean, I wanna fuck/ be don draper as much as every person on the planet but I don't confuse my newly discovered heterosexual envy/ homosexual admiration for a fictional character/ handsome actor with a show that's only been good for about three episodes.  all it proves is how much homosexual admiration can entice viewers and critics.

so I wouldn't consider mad men overrated - because it's not everyday when you can successfully tap and unleash the secret sexual desires of liberal-minded college-educated American men - I would considered it mis-praised.  people convince themselves of all sorts of things just to wash that yucky but lovely feelings off.  it's the same reason the first james bond was such a success.

goddamn this is some academic bullshit.  I'll stop at james bond before I implicate every male icon that's ever existed.  I know one of you film scholar queers can probably make a case for every man figure who's ever existed, probably some butch ladies and animals and ghosts too, but I feel like that desire is only ever indisputably indulged with a few episodes of Mad Men.  after those universally tantalizing episodes, the rest become sink-or-swim, as only those viewers with more potent tendencies stayed on and watched.  some even got hostile defending it on the internet.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

picolas

i'm not sure if you're being serious, but if you are:

i can't stand these overwrought justifications for why so many people love mad men. it's a great show on many levels/for many reasons. if you don't get those, fine. don't try to manufacture silly excuses for why other people like it and turn that into a criticism of the show. figure out your own reasons for not.