Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

jenkins

Sissy Spacek Reveals Paul Thomas Anderson Convinced Her To Star In Andy Samberg's 'Hot Rod'

Quote"My husband, Jack, had worked on 'There Will Be Blood' with Paul Thomas Anderson, and Paul called him to say, 'This is not a film that Sissy would ordinarily do, but they want to offer it to you, and they know you'll never see the script unless we get to you. These guys are great — you should do it.' And when Paul Thomas Anderson talks, you listen! So that's why I did it, and now I'm friends with all these young, cool guys with crazy names like Akiva, Jorma, and Andy," reveals Spacek.

Fuzzy Dunlop

I'VE BEEN DRINKIN GREEN TEA ALL GOD DAMN DAY

jenkins

Jason Blum Talks [About] Why 'There Will Be Blood' Is The Best Film In Two Decades

QuoteBlum is asked who his favorite filmmaker of all time is. Not all that shocking given the director's pedigree, the producer says it's none other than Paul Thomas Anderson. "His movies are so precise. He can make a movie about pretty much anything and the movies seem flawless to me: the performance, the production, every aspect of the filmmaking is so good. 'There Will Be Blood' is probably my favorite movie in the last 20 years," revealed Blum.

Yes

Jonah Hill says PTA saw an early cut of "Mid90s"

QuoteOther industry friends gave more constructive criticism, including Miller and Spike Jonze. Paul Thomas Anderson watched an early cut of the film and sent Hill a text message so positive that he framed it for his office. (He won't say what the text said because he doesn't want to "sound like a douchebag.")

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-jonah-hill-mid90s-20181020-story.html

wilberfan

Paul Dano appeared with Terry Gross on FRESH AIR on Oct 24, 2018.   

Here is a pertinent excerpt:

GROSS: You were directed at age 22 by one of the greatest directors of our time, Paul Thomas Anderson. Were there things you learned from him about directing, about how to work with actors that you've tried to carry through in the rest of your acting career and now in your first-time directorial effort?

DANO: Yeah. Paul, I think, has a lot of love. I think he loves his actors and his crew. He has an incredible eye for detail. I think it's definitely been important for me having - wanting to have been a filmmaker for a long time to have seen directors like this go to work, meaning to see them wait for the oil drip to be right even though time and money is, you know, burning. I remember one time in a costume fitting, you know, him noticing something in the stitching of the tie that nobody else would have noticed. You know, just sort of the focus, the care and the integrity. And it's also important when you see somebody like him able to enjoy their work and have a moment of fun probably too. But I absolutely loved working with him. And frankly, many of the directors I've worked with, I think the common theme is really hard work.

Transcript & Link

wilberfan

'The Amaranth': How Pushy Octagenarians and Paul Thomas Anderson Inspired An Unsettling Tale
QuoteNFS: Albert, you have worked with Paul Thomas Anderson on a number different of projects, and you thank him in the credits of this film. Based on your work with him, did you take any specific lessons learned or any advice he's given you over the years into this particular project?

Chi: Oh yeah, without question, everything. I'm serious. I'm totally dead serious. My wife, Jen, jokes about it all the time. Paul and I had a working relationship that was pretty close for a long time. He's my mentor, I'm his apprentice, so there's no version of me making anything artistic at this point that doesn't have its roots from Paul's life and his canon of work, and his philosophies about things. Anything that I do, The Amaranth or anything else, I know at some point, I'll be in the room with Paul, and I'll have to own up for it, and I want to be able to stand up for it.

Beyond that, my favorite thing to do is to steal stuff I know he'll notice, put it in there, and then talk it about it with him. It's almost like asking permission to steal the car. I like that. I think he likes it, too. In fact, I know he does because he's one of those guys, like if he gives you shit, you know you're in a good place. If he just ignores you, that's when you have a problem. He is constantly giving me shit.
Link

modage

For a little more context: Albert was PTA's assistant for a long time, nice dude. Didn't know he made a film, good for him.  :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on October 25, 2018, 11:10:43 PM
Paul Dano appeared with Terry Gross on FRESH AIR on Oct 24, 2018.   

I listed to the actual audio of the interview today.  Quite interesting.   And I didn't know it was pronounced "Day-no"...

wilberfan

Something Spanish

they're still giving oscars to little ronnie howard...

Heisenberg

PTA got a special thanks in the end credits for Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Heisenberg on November 02, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
PTA got a special thanks in the end credits for Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria.

First billed special thanks, too!

wilberfan

For those of us out of that particular loop, what's the gratitude for, specifically?

Heisenberg

I'm thinking maybe he helped convince Thom Yorke to do the score. Also, there were moments in the film where I felt a bit of a PTA influence. He may have also been one of the first to see it and had nice things to say about it. I remember him saying Call Me By Your Name was his favorite film of last year.

wilberfan

Awards buzz is icing for John Krasinski and 'A Quiet Place'

QuoteCritics loved its high concept thrills, too, and while many have offered their praise, a certain phone call stands out for Krasinski — the one he got from his favorite director, and friend, Paul Thomas Anderson.

"It was probably 30 minutes long about how much he loved the movie and how much it meant to him and how much he wished movies like this happened every Friday. I genuinely blacked out on that phone call," Krasinski said. "He said, 'I'll tell you the best compliment I can give you: As I was walking back to my car I thought, OK, I need to get back to work.'"

Anderson actually provided some inspiration for "A Quiet Place." Krasinski said he studied the opening of "There Will Be Blood" and other modern films that employ silence to figure out how he would approach it in his film. He also looked at "Jaws," ''Rosemary's Baby" the films of Alfred Hitchcock for ideas in tension-building.
Source