Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Punch Drunk Hate

FilmCell, I hope you start educating yourself on understanding people before making such a bigoted comment. That kind of crap belongs nowhere on this forum and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on February 28, 2018, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2018, 06:30:07 PM
some of these newbies are lowering the bar big time here from what great members we had in the past.

I'm liking some of the new additions, but there are always a few really bad ones that pop up when there's an influx of new members...

Pretty much every post this guy has made so far has been dogshit. If this is the type of guy that some people imagine when they think of PTA fans, I can understand why we have a bad rep. It's really unfortunate.

I'm disheartented that such a person would come to resemble our fanbase. It's not hard to get concern when I made a thread about our demographic because select people think we acted in the manner of the poster.

jviness02

The issue with the Jennifer Lawrence situation is she has a Best Picture vote and doesn't even give the film a chance. Anyone who judges a film on three minutes shouldn't get to vote. 99% of the Academy does this which is one of primary reasons why it's all bullshit, but just because other people are pulling that bullshit doesn't excuse Jennifer Lawrence. She deserves any flack she gets for this. As a fellow artist she should realize how disrespectful it is to publicly judge a full work of art based on a very small sample of it. She probably would not be happy if PTA watched one scene from mother! and then went off about how she should win the Razzie. If she doesn't like the movie, that's her right, but she shouldn't vote for Best Picture without watching it and she doesn't need to bash it publicly.

jenkins

i think he's the guy who said "They're still giving Oscars to little Ronnie Howard with Beautiful Mind (Laughs in the audience)" and there's no crying in baseball. i'm 100% positive he's not crying.

Just Withnail

Quote from: FilmCell on February 28, 2018, 06:09:22 PM
A few critics only watched 3 minutes of Phantom Thread and then wrote sweeping, generalizing reviews? Didn't know that. How is NOT watching a movie and then critiquing it for being problematic towards women a "perfectly valid response?" Enlighten us.

Ironically, if Ms. Lawrence would've pulled her head away from binge watching episodes of Keeping Up With the Kardashians and watched the film, she'd see that the characters played by both Vicky Krieps and Leslie Manville are strong, powerful women who eventually go toe-to-toe with Daniel Day Lewis and essentially control him. But, the good news is, now that she's insulted him, Paul won't hire this dull redneck in one of his films and we'll get the twin joys of never having her spoil a PTA picture with her generic performances AND get more discoveries like Katherine Waterston and Vicky Krieps! If he's one of her favorite directors, this wasn't exactly a smart way of ensuring a future collaboration between the two. If this is how she handles her career, no wonder all of her non-ensemble starring roles(Joy, Serena, Passengers, mother! and now Red Sparrow) have all been clunkers! She probably thought mother! was genius and edgy and bragged to Amy Schumer about how "I'm finally gonna be in one of those movies that hipsters who belittle me will watch!" But, when it didn't get the awards recognition she thought it deserved, she's decided to lash out at films like Phantom Thread that confuse her itty bitty brain and give her another nauseating, rehearsed way to demonstrate how much of a "normal person I am" for not liking "films" and only loving "movies."

Hey, Jennifer, stop sending nudes to overweight producers and start watching art films past the 3 minute mark. Your career will thank you. I don't know what mixture of hay and raccoon droppings were mixed into your baby formula back in Kentucky but it must've stunted your mental growth. Ultimately, it's not her fault. Her parents, who are probably second cousins, must've forgotten to teach her how to be a professional in between swigs from their jug of moonshine, five course smorgasbords of roadkill possum with all the fixin's under that kerosene lantern hanging from the ceiling by that wire hanger they called a chandelier back in Kentucky. Luckily for us, her 15 minutes will be over soon!

You have a very ugly soul, mister, and you don't seem to realize that you reveal it in your writing. Your words say nothing about their subject and very much about you.

Jeremy Blackman

If it wasn't clear from Polka's post, FilmCell was banned yesterday.

axxonn

Quote from: jviness02 on March 01, 2018, 01:15:44 AM
The issue with the Jennifer Lawrence situation is she has a Best Picture vote and doesn't even give the film a chance. Anyone who judges a film on three minutes shouldn't get to vote. 99% of the Academy does this which is one of primary reasons why it's all bullshit, but just because other people are pulling that bullshit doesn't excuse Jennifer Lawrence. She deserves any flack she gets for this. As a fellow artist she should realize how disrespectful it is to publicly judge a full work of art based on a very small sample of it. She probably would not be happy if PTA watched one scene from mother! and then went off about how she should win the Razzie. If she doesn't like the movie, that's her right, but she shouldn't vote for Best Picture without watching it and she doesn't need to bash it publicly.

Not exactly surprising though, this is how I always imagined the Academy watching process went down. Explains a lot of the past winners ;)

jviness02

Quote from: axxonn on March 01, 2018, 09:32:21 AM

Not exactly surprising though, this is how I always imagined the Academy watching process went down. Explains a lot of the past winners ;)

Oh, for sure.  Which is why it's all bullshit. I personally know three Academy members who refuse to watch Get Out. It's so fucking stupid.

wilberfan

Quote from: jviness02 on March 01, 2018, 10:11:20 AM
Oh, for sure.  Which is why it's all bullshit. I personally know three Academy members who refuse to watch Get Out. It's so fucking stupid.

Not to mention the members that vote a 'party line' (eg, voting for the films their company released, etc), or that give their ballot to someone else to fill out, or vote for the film they 'heard' is deserving...

Gold Trumpet

You hit a lot of nails on the head. Most don't really watch many of the films yet vote. The Academy is bullshit but really, all award shows are. When I was a kid, I could name every Best Picture winner for every year. Now I haven't watched the Oscars in over 10 years.

wilberfan

In keeping with this recent discussion of the Oscars:

The surprising fact behind how much it costs to win an Oscar
The glitziest Academy Awards actually cost the least, one analysis shows; predicts wins for "Phantom Thread" director and "The Post"

https://moneyish.com/ish/the-surprising-fact-behind-how-much-it-costs-to-win-an-oscar/
The big caveat to Giffgaff's analysis is that it doesn't necessarily take into account a big part of the Oscar nomination and award process: lobbying. The run-up to the March 4 ceremony, involves months of campaigning that includes cushy junkets (AKA "value-added opportunities") for Academy voters, though these perks are restricted as the big night grows near.

Giffgaff however is so confident with its analysis that it's even predicting winners in select categories for Sunday night. Its pick include Steven Spielberg's "The Post," which cost $50 million to make, for Best Motion Picture, and "Phantom Thread" auteur Paul Thomas Anderson for best director.

Kind of a Moneyball approach to predicting Oscar wins. 

Punch Drunk Hate

Reel

It's a lot less awkward to watch two people in there at the same time, they should make it a trend

Fuzzy Dunlop

There's a scene in the pilot episode of HBO's Barry that heavily features a version of Linda's A-to-Z Pharmacy breakdown.

Lewton

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on March 27, 2018, 05:42:14 PM
There's a scene in the pilot episode of HBO's Barry that heavily features a version of Linda's A-to-Z Pharmacy breakdown.

I liked the series premiere. There's a PTA vibe elsewhere in the episode, too, but maybe it's a bit low-key outside of the example you just mentioned.

I mean, among other things, Barry Block (Hader) reminded me of Barry Egan.

Robyn

I wanted to hear what Johnny Greenwood has said about PTA, and found this. don't know if it has been posted here yet.

https://www.stereogum.com/1983217/jonny-greenwood-and-paul-thomas-anderson-seem-to-have-a-delightful-working-relationship/news/

Quote"He said, 'Either you come and you're dressed like an idiot, and that'd be brilliant. Or you come and you have to say something on stage, which would also be brilliant. So win-win for me,'" Greenwood said in a recent interview. "It's a kind of abuse, really, the way he treats me."

QuoteWhat makes them such a good match?

"Like any good long-term relationship, I'd say mutual respect and date nights," says Anderson.

"He has faith in me and he likes making fun of me," says Greenwood. "I think they're the two prongs of the perfect relationship, really."

Quote"He won't push gently into something that doesn't come naturally. He needs to find a legitimate way in to something rather than just juke-boxing. The music he came up with is just deeply felt — by him, clearly. I don't know why some people can do it and others can't, but he can access something inside him and get it to come out though his fingers into his instruments. It's weird. He can even make Toca Band on his phone sound like something spectacular and moving."