Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Reel

I don't have enough fingers to count the English period dramas I don't want to sit through

jenkins

there are fuller and lighter perspectives being presented as well, i want to appreciate those, that's what i'm currently doing.

for preventive measures toward not reengaging my defense, i'd like to summarize my point of contention: she isn't being a bad or stupid person by saying what she said, she's being a normal person with feelings related to who she is. my basic philosophy is it's okay for people to be themselves. but it's not as easy as all that and one can say it but living it is another thing. everything about this: no big deal.

©brad

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2018, 10:28:28 AM
She's a great actress but it seems Phantom Thread reminded her of uncomfortable past situations with men and just wasn't for her. This isn't a big deal.

Thank you my friend. There are a few hot takes in this thread that need to be extinguished quick-like.

Her critique is one echoed by quite a few critics and it's a perfectly valid response, even if you disagree.

Fuzzy Dunlop

FilmCell

I wonder if she can make it past 3 minutes of films by Bergman, Bresson or Ozu?

jenkins

FilmCell

Quote from: ©brad on February 28, 2018, 02:16:24 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2018, 10:28:28 AM
She's a great actress but it seems Phantom Thread reminded her of uncomfortable past situations with men and just wasn't for her. This isn't a big deal.

Thank you my friend. There are a few hot takes in this thread that need to be extinguished quick-like.

Her critique is one echoed by quite a few critics and it's a perfectly valid response, even if you disagree.

A few critics only watched 3 minutes of Phantom Thread and then wrote sweeping, generalizing reviews? Didn't know that. How is NOT watching a movie and then critiquing it for being problematic towards women a "perfectly valid response?" Enlighten us.

Ironically, if Ms. Lawrence would've pulled her head away from binge watching episodes of Keeping Up With the Kardashians and watched the film, she'd see that the characters played by both Vicky Krieps and Leslie Manville are strong, powerful women who eventually go toe-to-toe with Daniel Day Lewis and essentially control him. But, the good news is, now that she's insulted him, Paul won't hire this dull redneck in one of his films and we'll get the twin joys of never having her spoil a PTA picture with her generic performances AND get more discoveries like Katherine Waterston and Vicky Krieps! If he's one of her favorite directors, this wasn't exactly a smart way of ensuring a future collaboration between the two. If this is how she handles her career, no wonder all of her non-ensemble starring roles(Joy, Serena, Passengers, mother! and now Red Sparrow) have all been clunkers! She probably thought mother! was genius and edgy and bragged to Amy Schumer about how "I'm finally gonna be in one of those movies that hipsters who belittle me will watch!" But, when it didn't get the awards recognition she thought it deserved, she's decided to lash out at films like Phantom Thread that confuse her itty bitty brain and give her another nauseating, rehearsed way to demonstrate how much of a "normal person I am" for not liking "films" and only loving "movies."

Hey, Jennifer, stop sending nudes to overweight producers and start watching art films past the 3 minute mark. Your career will thank you. I don't know what mixture of hay and raccoon droppings were mixed into your baby formula back in Kentucky but it must've stunted your mental growth. Ultimately, it's not her fault. Her parents, who are probably second cousins, must've forgotten to teach her how to be a professional in between swigs from their jug of moonshine, five course smorgasbords of roadkill possum with all the fixin's under that kerosene lantern hanging from the ceiling by that wire hanger they called a chandelier back in Kentucky. Luckily for us, her 15 minutes will be over soon!

Gold Trumpet

Looking at the post above and trying to weed my way through all the unintelligible, I will pretend to be someone who represents the Noah Baumbach fan club and get pissy with Paul Thomas Anderson because Bill Simmons name dropped every film of Baumbach he could in his interview with PTA and Mr. Fucking Anderson couldn't be bothered to say he has watched any of the films mentioned. All masterpieces! This leads me to believe Mr. Anderson is wasting his time watching too many Adam Sandler movies, pontificating on how Big Daddy could somehow be the masterpiece of all those flicks, and even watch a generally forgettable film like Girls Trip and finding his next muse when he could be watching more great cinema like what Noah Baumbach produces all the time. I mean, seriously...

Or I should have probably just ignored the last post and let it hang out to dry like the dirty laundry it is.

I love this site but man, some of these newbies are lowering the bar big time here from what great members we had in the past.

FilmCell

PTA said he loved The Meyerowitz Stories and he never said, "I couldn't get through 3 minutes of it but it must just be about some problematic trend in our society ..." Even when he wished David Fincher testicular cancer for all of his jokes about it in Fight Club he never said that it was a result of never giving the movie the time of day.

Alethia

Dude, who gives a fuck? People are allowed to dismiss whatever they please, whenever they please, no matter how rabidly we (you) may feel otherwise. The movie's been received, in general, more rapturously than I could have anticipated, so what if Jennifer Lawrence didn't immediately vibe with it? 

It's allowed.

FilmCell

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2018, 06:30:07 PM
Looking at the post above and trying to weed my way through all the unintelligible, I will pretend to be someone who represents the Noah Baumbach fan club and get pissy with Paul Thomas Anderson because Bill Simmons name dropped every film of Baumbach he could in his interview with PTA and Mr. Fucking Anderson couldn't be bothered to say he has watched any of the films mentioned. All masterpieces! This leads me to believe Mr. Anderson is wasting his time watching too many Adam Sandler movies, pontificating on how Big Daddy could somehow be the masterpiece of all those flicks, and even watch a generally forgettable film like Girls Trip and finding his next muse when he could be watching more great cinema like what Noah Baumbach produces all the time. I mean, seriously...

Or I should have probably just ignored the last post and let it hang out to dry like the dirty laundry it is.

I love this site but man, some of these newbies are lowering the bar big time here from what great members we had in the past.

Oh and don't even get me started on ghetto ass Tiffany Haddish ...

jenkins

Quote from: FilmCell on February 28, 2018, 06:09:22 PM
she'd see that the characters played by both Vicky Krieps and Leslie Manville are strong, powerful women who eventually go toe-to-toe with Daniel Day Lewis and essentially control him.

the theory the movie supports she's applying to practice, which we're all hoping you can later do when you learn more about women and other types of people.

cultural elitism is so narrow minded it's sometimes exhausting to hear, and always what it illuminates is a narrow perspective. a tunnel perspective. you're talking to a crowd of movie people is a thing. we can spot a tunnel perspective related to this medium from a mile away.

Quote from: FilmCell on February 28, 2018, 07:23:44 PM

that's a truly ugly thing to say, in addition to other ugly things you've said already. it's not broadening our perspectives and it's unpleasant to hear.

polkablues

Quote from: FilmCell on February 28, 2018, 07:23:44 PM

Bad opinions and ill-conceived arguments will always find safe harbor at Xixax, but shit like this has absolutely no place here.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

^^ if that isn't marquee worthy then I don't know what is.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 28, 2018, 06:30:07 PM
some of these newbies are lowering the bar big time here from what great members we had in the past.

I'm liking some of the new additions, but there are always a few really bad ones that pop up when there's an influx of new members...

Pretty much every post this guy has made so far has been dogshit. If this is the type of guy that some people imagine when they think of PTA fans, I can understand why we have a bad rep. It's really unfortunate.