Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

MacGuffin

Conan O'Brien to appear on '60 Minutes'
Exit deal barred host from TV appearances until May 1
Associated Press

Conan O'Brien will be on TV this weekend with his first post-"Tonight Show" interview.

O'Brien talks with Steve Kroft on "60 Minutes," CBS said Tuesday.

O'Brien's exit deal with NBC barred him from television appearances until May 1; the "60 Minutes" piece will air the day after.

The interview was conducted last week in Los Angeles, according to a person with knowledge of it. The person, who lacked authority to discuss the matter publicly, spoke on condition of anonymity.

O'Brien, who left "Tonight" in January over a time slot dispute with NBC, has agreed to host a late-night show on TBS later this year. He's now on a national comedy tour.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

children with angels

Everyone see Obama's jab at Leno at the Correspondent's dinner?

(The second half is the relevant bit.)
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

ono

Hah, that last joke was COLD.  Love it.

Did anyone see the Conan 60 Minutes interview?  How was it?

SiliasRuby

It was tough to watch. He was really trying to hold back his rage about what happened to him.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

^pretty sure that's inaccurate.

he was cool beans for most of it. obviously 60mins wanted him to go off about the whole thing and say something scandalous but for the most part he just reiterated that he while he thinks the decision made against him was unfair he is not an angry or spiteful or vengegul kinda guy, so i don't think he's angry ANYMORE. he says he has no regrets about his decision and consistently expresses an optimistic outlook.

frankly i think he's purposely playing the whole debacle to his advantage about as far as is believable. he is not a victim, in the current economic climate for someone to be given millions of dollars, millions of new fans, and millions of more dollars to start a new show where he'll be the king of the network -- it's very hard to believe that this is a BAD DEAL. i think he realises this and kinda gets awkward when he spots himself playing into the hands of everyone, including this interviewer, who wanted him to play the whiny victim.

this fact is what makes any statement of "we got screwed" by leno even more unbelievable. he got everything he wanted.
under the paving stones.

diggler

i loved that moment where he had to crack up and say "how did leno get screwed exactly?" he's playing the situation perfectly, and i liked what he said about being on cable and how that's not such a bad thing, given the way things are going. i'm looking forward to the new show.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

ono

Thanks for that.  Here's the interview in full for anyone who hasn't seen it:  http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/conan-obriens-full-60-minutes-transcript/

Pas

Quote from: ono on May 07, 2010, 04:04:33 PM
Thanks for that.  Here's the interview in full for anyone who hasn't seen it:  http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/conan-obriens-full-60-minutes-transcript/

He looks like a murderer with that beard. Thanks for the link!

Edit: speaking of beards, I shaved mine after I was told twice yesterday I looked like a taliban. It wasn't that bad. My gf is mad because she says I look like a kid without a beard.

Also

CONAN O'BRIEN: How did he get screwed again?  (LAUGHTER) Explain that part to me.  I'm sorry. Jay's got The Tonight Show.  I have a beard and an inflatable bat.  And I'm touring city to city.  Who can (LAUGHTER) say who won and who lost?  I'm laughing 'cause crying would be sad.

Stupid thing to say. If you're gonna cry about that, really... wtf.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas on May 07, 2010, 07:01:33 PM
Edit: speaking of beards, I shaved mine after I was told twice yesterday I looked like a taliban. It wasn't that bad. My gf is mad because she says I look like a kid without a beard.

dude that is lame. i've been asked if i'm arab all the time since 2001 and i never shaved my beard, trim it maybe cos it freaks out employers but never the whole way, maybe it helps i got a latino moustache so they know i'm kosher. only once i went clean for my brother's wedding..

Quote from: Pas on May 07, 2010, 07:01:33 PM
Stupid thing to say. If you're gonna cry about that, really... wtf.

are you kidding me? he's JOKING. have you never seen conan before this interview? he says that kinda shit all the time. he says things like "murder" in a joking way too. he likes to reference extreme emotional states for a quick laugh (not one of my favourite qualities of his).. he has no intention of crying or ever felt like it, he just wanted to end the answer with a joke. did you think he really was going to get up and leave when at the very start of the interview he said "that's it we're done.."? that was funny too. not RUDE as you might have understood it. "how could he get up to leave at the start of the interview! that's just weird wtf".
under the paving stones.

Pas

Hahaha of course not lol though

yeah I didn't get that joke haha second language sarcasm is tougher

MacGuffin

Conan O'Brien performs at TBS, TNT upfront
TBS show to debut Nov. 8; O'Brien feeds off net's enthusiasm
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- A Conan O'Brien video followed by a stage appearance of the late-night comedy star opened the TBS and TNT upfront presentation here Wednesday.

Among other things, O'Brien joked that the plot of "Lost" is more plausible than what happened to him at NBC and sang "On the road again" with lyrics soon changed to say "(I want) My own show again."

The O'Brien video package started off with a black screen and the words "One month ago."

Then the comic was shown lying on the floor surrounded by pizza and beer, with a half-eaten pizza slice on his belly.

The phone rang, and O'Brien picked up. "Hello, job!?...No, there is no Debbie here."

Once he got up, he revealed a big belly and an empty mailbox.

Music starts playing, and it is "All by myself."

We then see O'Brien jumping on a trampoline in his garden.

Back indoors, a young lady comes up to him and calls for her mom, while O'Brien lets his dog eat peanut butter off his toes.

Another phone call, and O'Brien answers: "Debbie's is not here...my own talk show on TBS? Yes, I'll do it... Am I in shape? Yes, I am."

As faster music starts playing, we see him cutting his beard, working out, taking off his fat suit and even shooting a machine gun.

The video, which a Turner representative says the comic has used on his current tour, ends with O'Brien telling the camera: "I'm ready, let's do this!"

Seconds later, O"Brien walked onto the stage to huge applause.

His opening lines: "Please sit!" and "I love to do comedy at 10 in the morning."

"I realized this morning this is my first time back in New York City since I was here exactly one year ago for the NBC upfront" -- to promote his 25 year run as head of the "Tonight Show," he quipped.

If anyone knows "what the hell happened four months ago," O'Brien said he'd be in the lobby later. "The plot to 'Lost' is more plausible."

He referenced the whirlwind past year and joked he even briefly served in an undersecretary post in the Obama administration before resigning in scandal and had his own religious cult in Nova Scotia.

After some jokes about his beard, he talked about how he met Turner Entertainment Networks boss Steve Koonin.

"When I met Steve Koonin on J-Date, we clicked instantly," he said, also quipping about their "raw sexual enthusiasm."

On a more serious note, the deal was "nothing short of exhilarating" for him.

"I can't wait to go back to having fun on television."

He also said he is learning much on his live tour.

O'Brien then said he is excited to go back to TV though and lauded basic cable. "I don't want to live in a country with less than six ESPNs," he joked.

His vision for his TBS show?

Corny jokes and country music, which attract young male demos, O'Brien deadpanned.

"Steve, thanks for the blank creative check...you fool!," he then said to Koonin.

He finished his stage appearance with a rendition of "On The Road Again" that soon turned the lyrics to "My Own Show Again."

Among various lines, O'Brien sang that he wants his own show again even if it is at 10pm or on women's network Oxygen, for which he would be willing to get a sex change. And he quipped that he wants a show again, so he can interview Megan Fox again.

Big applause followed O'Brien off the stage.

Koonin later also referenced O'Brien in joking that he needed to thank an NBC employee for two great programming additions: O'Brien (Jay Leno's photo came up on a screen behind him right then) and "Southland."

George Lopez in his appearance later also talked about O'Brien. He said he feels his late-night move that will see him start work an hour later and still get the same pay is a Latino's dream come true.

And in an "I Love Lucy" reference, he said that decades ago, a redhead and a Latino made TV history. "This fall, Coco and Loco will do it again," Lopez told the upfront crowd.

O'Brien also made a brief appearance at the Turner upfront press lunch at Del Posto mid-day and was soon surrounded by reporters.

While he didn't have any specifics to share about his plans for his TBS show, he said his current tour and this year's experiences will surely influence it. "You have to evolve," he said.

"I feed off enthusiasm, and these guys are extremely enthusiastic," he said about new employer TBS.

Discussing his tour, he said he is much more out of the TV and ratings loop than ever. "You become an idiot," he told reporters. "You never know what day it is."

But O"Brien said he likes the flexibility to ad-lib and do even more spontaneuous material on tour, as well as tailor parts of his act to whatever city he plays in.

And "I signed my first breast recently," he said. "It was a guy."

Will Andy Richter be back on the show? "How do you get rid of the guy," he said.

"Let's move on now," he summarized his feelings when asked about his tumultuous NBC departure.

After a few minutes of chatting with the press, Koonin helped whisk him away, saying O'Brien's manager had promised the comic for an hour, but Koonin had in turn promised to get him out in time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tictacbk

http://pitchfork.com/news/39836-listen-conans-spoken-word-single/

Conan's silly spoken word single...link will apparently only work for 24 hours.

Pubrick

i wish for conan's and our sake they would have put us out of our misery after 24 SECONDS.

that was unbearable, does he think ppl are gonna pay MONEY for that shit?

under the paving stones.

Reel

It's gonna be called Conan

Pubrick

under the paving stones.