Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Anyone wondering what near future Bergman will be for Criterion gets their answer in The Magician. As a post says,

"This may have been mentioned earlier, but in an interview @ GreenCine Peter Cowie confirms a release of Bergman's The Magician for 2008."

Cobz

QuoteAnyone wondering what near future Bergman will be for Criterion gets their answer in The Magician. As a post says,

"This may have been mentioned earlier, but in an interview @ GreenCine Peter Cowie confirms a release of Bergman's The Magician for 2008."

Damnit! So Face to Face is probably gonna be 2009 now eh?  :yabbse-angry:
coin operated boy

edison

Quote from: Cobz on June 27, 2007, 11:25:45 AM
QuoteAnyone wondering what near future Bergman will be for Criterion gets their answer in The Magician. As a post says,

Holy Christ man, lay off the Face to Face, it'll come out when it comes out.

Gold Trumpet

Not necessarily. It still could come out this year or even 2008. Criterion loves to release at least two Bergman films a year if they can. The Magician will likely get a slim dvd so it's just the easier and quicker film to release. Nothing more.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 28, 2007, 01:34:37 AM

Not necessarily. It still could come out this year or even 2008. Criterion loves to release at least two Bergman films a year if they can. The Magician will likely get a slim dvd so it's just the easier and quicker film to release. Nothing more.

OK, I do have likely bad news for you.

Criterion Forum is reporting a new Ingmar Bergman title in line for release in the near future. The quote is here,

"At a recent reception in Manhattan for Birgitta Steene, whose "Ingmar Bergman: A Reference Guide" is essential for all Bergmaniacs, there was discussion about everybody's favorite critic, John Simon, since he is writing the notes for Criterion's upcoming Sawdust and Tinsel, as he did for Smiles of a Summer Night.

So it's coming...."

This could push Face to Face back to 2009 unless Sawdust and Tinsel gets released this year which means a double header of Face to Face and The Magician could be in 2008. I'll keep track of the developments....

Gold Trumpet

First, I'd like to make a general Ingmar Bergman comment. I've been reporting recently numerous titles on the way from Criterion. The films are smaller titles and not his major works. The assumption was that each title would get their own release. Well, I'm finding out other small titles by Bergman are on the way so the new likelihood is that another Bergman box set is on the way.

That leaves a better chance for Face to Face to be released next year and one member of the board not to kill me for Criterion's decisions.

In actual news,

Before USA Today ran an article about Bernardo Bertolucci. General stuff, but at the end this was written:

"And Criterion is restoring another of his films, Before the Revolution (1964). At 64, he jokes, "I wish they could restore the directors."

The update is that a new print of the film has been screening around the country. The best indication a new dvd should be out soon.

I know SoNowThen and a few others highly anticipated this title so I hope it's good news all around.

In the Department of Corrections,

Last month I reported Breathless was confirmed for release in August. Obviously it isn't. I took what I said from DVDbeaver who got it wrong. Blame them. But the film still should be released in the near future.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ginger on July 12, 2007, 07:20:10 PM

Too bad, it's a Two Lane Blacktop reference. We already knew that one.

edison

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Gus Van Sant

New interview with Van Sant

Walt Curtis, the Peckerneck Poet: a documentary about the author of the book Mala Noche, directed by animator and friend Bill Plympton

Storyboard gallery

Original trailer edited by Van Sant

PLUS: A new essay by film critic Dennis Lim

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Raoul Coutard

Archival interviews with director Jean-Luc Godard, and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, and Jean-Pierre Melville

New video interviews with Coutard, assistant director Pierre Rissient, and filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker

New video essays: filmmaker and critic Mark Rappaport's "Jean Seberg" and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum's "Breathless as Film Criticism"

Chambre 12, Hotel de suede, an eighty-minute French documentary about the making of Breathless, with members of the cast and crew 

Charlotte et son Jules, a 1959 short film by Godard, starring Belmondo 

French theatrical trailer 

New and improved English subtitle translation 

PLUS: A booklet featuring writings from Godard, film historian Dudley Andrew, Francois Truffaut's original film treatment, and Godard's scenario

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by film editor Roberto Silvi

Audio commentary featuring executive producer Michael Fitzgerald and producers Wieland Schulz-Keil and Moritz Borman

Theatrical trailers

New video interview with Jacqueline Bisset 

New audio interview with screenwriter Guy Gallo

1984 audio interview with John Huston conducted by French film critic Michel Ciment

Notes from "Under the Volcano" (1984), a 59-minute documentary by Gary Conklin shot on the set during the film's production, featuring interviews with Huston, cast, and crew

Volcano: An Inquiry into the Life and Death of Malcolm Lowry (1976), filmmaker Donald Brittain's 99-minute, Academy Award–nominated documentary, narrated by Richard Burton, examining the connections between Under the Volcano author Malcolm Lowry's life and that of his novel's main character

PLUS: A new essay by film critic Christian Viviani

More

Days of Heaven is coming also in October but nothing but the specs are up:
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick, editor Billy Weber, and camera operator John Bailey

New Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack

Audio commentary featuring Weber, art director Jack Fisk, costume designer Patricia Norris, and casting director Dianne Crittenden

New video interviews with cinematographers Haskell Wexler and Bailey

PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critic Adrian Martin and director of photography Nestor Almendros 

More!

Gold Trumpet

Excellent lay out, Edison. I only have to comment.

First off, I want to see the transfer of Days of Heaven. I imagine it will be the best way to see the film and since my last time was long ago, the Criterion release will be my best time to revisit it. I didn't know about Under the Volcano but the synopsis makes me want to see it.

I think I'll end up buying Breathless. It's one of my favorite films by a director I sometimes hate, but the special features make it too enticing. And while some already hate the cover, I like it. Criterion is announcing this is the staple for Godard with the cover and first line of the description.

And I don't care too much about Mala Noche, but it is a very quick release for a Janus theatrical release. I wonder what it will mean for Pierrot Le Fou on Criterion DVD.

last days of gerry the elephant

tpfkabi

Quote from: overmeunderyou on July 17, 2007, 12:39:51 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 16, 2007, 04:15:18 PM
And while some already hate the cover, I like it.

That damn C...

does the Breathless cover relate to any original poster or artwork?
a film so vivid has a cover so plain?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: bigideas on July 17, 2007, 11:38:19 AM
Quote from: overmeunderyou on July 17, 2007, 12:39:51 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 16, 2007, 04:15:18 PM
And while some already hate the cover, I like it.

That damn C...

does the Breathless cover relate to any original poster or artwork?
a film so vivid has a cover so plain?

I don't know about original posters or artwork, but it does look similar to the Histoire(s) du Cinéma DVD.

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

john

I'm out of touch....

I haven't read this thread since House of Games was announced.

Now I'm overwhelmed... it's like a kid on Christmas...so many titles... I can't even articulate a measured, calculated response.

So...

Fuck yeah.

Fuck yeah to every last title mentioned and the titles before that.

Fuck yeah.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.