Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Slightly Green on November 17, 2006, 05:36:08 PM
Whoa :shock:, those are great. And the last one is ESPECIALLY gorgeous.
i'm assuming you mean without that fucking C. jesus christ that's intrusive, it doesn't belong ANYWHERE on those covers. if criterion jumped the shark with the Shoot The Piano Player cover, this is like season 13+ of the simpsons.

and yeah thieves is weird.
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Pubrick on November 17, 2006, 08:47:49 PM
Quote from: Slightly Green on November 17, 2006, 05:36:08 PM
Whoa :shock:, those are great. And the last one is ESPECIALLY gorgeous.
i'm assuming you mean without that fucking C. jesus christ that's intrusive, it doesn't belong ANYWHERE on those covers.
I hadn't paid attention to it before, honestly, but now I can't. stop. staring. at. it. :shock:

But the cover's still gorgeous.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on November 17, 2006, 01:57:01 PM
whoa!  Bicycle Thieves?!  first, i'd never heard it called that so i had to look it up to make sure it wasnt like a sequel or something!   i'm glad i held off buying this for so long.  i didnt even realize they were planning to release this.

It has been on the menu for a while, but today's Criterion blog bodes well for another classic Italian Neo Realism film being released soon,

"Everything I had always thought about the look of Rome, Open City turns out to be wrong. It is not gritty and grainy and mismatched. This print is smooth and even with tight, fine grain. There is only one dupe-y shot in the entire film. It seems impossible that Rossellini made such a professional, almost studio-looking image when working with mismatched stocks, short ends of leftover military film, and even some rolls (at least apocryphally) intended for still cameras. "

The release I'm interested in is the Paul Robeson set. They really are taking a chance with this release and it looks like it could be a very important release. Criterion sometimes gets too obscure for my own interest, but there is a lot to this release that goes beyond just being a rare film.

puddnanners

about Bicycle THIEVES, I can't tell from the previous few posts if you guys know the story behind the English title of the film, but just in case, the literal translation is Bicycle Thieves, but was changed for American distribution (not so much a story, just a sentence, really.)  I suppose the singular "Thief" makes it more a tale about the troubles of one man and his own attempts to survive (a Hollywood story) rather than "Thieves," which says more about post-war societal troubles in Italy and how they affected the whole of the working class (a society of thieves?)  which seems to be more in line with the neo-realist ideology.  I think that sounds right, but I don't know. 

I enjoy the work of the Criterion Collection. 

Chest Rockwell

I have never heard of Green for Danger but I'll buy it just to support awesome DVD covers.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on November 17, 2006, 08:47:49 PM
i'm assuming you mean without that fucking C. jesus christ that's intrusive, it doesn't belong ANYWHERE on those covers. if criterion jumped the shark with the Shoot The Piano Player cover, this is like season 13+ of the simpsons.

I agree about the C, but what's wrong with the cover of Shoot the Piano Player?

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on November 19, 2006, 12:00:16 AM
I agree about the C, but what's wrong with the cover of Shoot the Piano Player?
i can't find where i mentioned it, i remember thinking it was obvious and boring. i think there was a brief period of underwhelming covers.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

The cover of STPP was pretty literal but that was the original poster design so I didn't mind.

I like my cover of Bicycle Thieves better.

A Matter Of Chance

It annoys me how the 'C' in Bicycle Thieves in inside the 'B' from Bicycle.

modage

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on November 19, 2006, 04:34:38 PM
It annoys me how the 'C' in Bicycle Thieves in inside the 'B' from Bicycle.
yes, big time.  i dont mind the C in general, but the placement on that cover is annoying.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

A Matter Of Chance

PS, does anyone know if criterion has any more Mizoguchi on its slate? Because that would break the bank for me in a good way

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on November 19, 2006, 06:06:35 PM
PS, does anyone know if criterion has any more Mizoguchi on its slate? Because that would break the bank for me in a good way

Yes, they do. They hold rights to much of his work and have said they want to release more. They just wanted to get Ugetsu out before any of his other films. What I think they will do as they did with filmmakers like Yasurijo Ozu is start with one and then start releasing the DVDs in conjecture with nation wide releases honoring the director. I think with the desire for more Mizoguchi I'd say the releasing of more of his films on DVD would come sooner than later. I'd expect more in '07.

A Matter Of Chance

Thanks, GT. This news + the La Notte news + Rome, Open City, awesome. you're practically my accountant.

Gold Trumpet

The Criterion Blog continues to be priceless for its information:

"Salò:
Have we been able to renew our rights? Well, here's the answer you weren't expecting. Yes. We're working on a brand new HD transfer now. It'll be a totally new release and be out in 2007."

squints

High Definition shit eating!!! I can't wait
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche