Grammy Awards Nominations

Started by MacGuffin, December 04, 2003, 02:41:33 PM

MacGuffin

Nominations in top categories for the 46th annual Grammy Awards announced today:

1. Record of the Year: "Crazy in Love," Beyonce featuring Jay-Z; "Where Is the Love?" Black Eyed Peas and Justin Timberlake; "Clocks," Coldplay; "Lose Yourself," Eminem; "Hey Ya!," OutKast.

2. Album of the Year: "Under Construction," Missy Elliott; "Fallen," Evanescence; "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below," OutKast; "Justified," Justin Timberlake; "Elephant," The White Stripes.

3. Song of the Year: "Beautiful," Linda Perry (Christina Aguilera); "Dance With My Father," Richard Marx and Luther Vandross (Luther Vandross); "I'm With You," Avril Lavigne and The Matrix (Avril Lavigne); "Keep Me in Your Heart," Jorge Calderon and Warren Zevon (Warren Zevon); "Lose Yourself," J. Bass, M. Mathers and L. Resto (Eminem).

4. New Artist: Evanescence; 50 Cent; Fountains of Wayne; Heather Headley; Sean Paul.

5. Pop Vocal Album: "Stripped," Christina Aguilera; "Brainwashed," George Harrison; "Bare," Annie Lennox; "Motown," Michael McDonald; "Justified," Justin Timberlake.

6. Rock Album: "Audioslave," Audioslave; "Fallen," Evanescence; "One by One," Foo Fighters; "More Than You Think You Are," matchbox twenty; "The Long Road," Nickelback.

7. Rap Album: "Under Construction," Missy Elliott; "Get Rich or Die Tryin'," 50 Cent; "The Blueprint 2: The Gift & the Curse," Jay-Z; "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below," OutKast; "Phrenology," The Roots.

Best Alternative Music Album: "Fight Test," The Flaming Lips; "Hail To The Thief," Radiohead; "Untitled," Sigur Rós; "Elephant," The White Stripes; "Fever To Tell," Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffin
6. Rock Album: "Audioslave," Audioslave; "Fallen," Evanescence; "One by One," Foo Fighters; "More Than You Think You Are," matchbox twenty; "The Long Road," Nickelback.

for fucks sakes...

where I come from, rock'n'roll is Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Oasis, The Black Crowes...

no wonder "rock music" isn't popular anymore, if that's what they're calling rock.

Nickelback must die. The worst possible thing my province could contribute to the world of music...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Fountains of Wayne aren't new at all.

Nice to see White Stripes recognized.

Still... this has to be the most worthless and cheesy of worthless, cheesy awards. I always get a kick out of the jokes on The Simpsons about The Grammys. They somehow always end up in the trash can or something. Perfect.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffin2. Album of the Year: "Fallen," Evanescence
4. New Artist: Evanescence
6. Rock Album: "Fallen," Evanescence;

Seeing them nominated at all just made my day...Seeing them nominated 3 times made my week......

SHAFTR

When White Stripes' Elephant was released I told my friends it would be nominated for Best Album.

I was right.

I thought the same thing about Hail to the Thief.

I was wrong.

My guess is it would either be one or the other.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

I added the Alternative Catagory above, in case it was missed. If you're curious about other catagories, let me know and I'll look 'em up. The list of nominations is very, very, very, very, very, very looooooong.

To add some more:

Best Score Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Catch Me If You Can - John Williams, composer (John Williams)

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets - John Williams, composer (John Williams)

The Hours - Philip Glass, composer (Philip Glass)

The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore, composer (Howard Shore)

Seabiscuit - Randy Newman, composer (Randy Newman)

Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Act A Fool (From 2 Fast 2 Furious) - Christopher Bridges & Keith McMasters, songwriters (Ludacris)

The Hands That Built America (From Gangs of New York) - U2, songwriters (U2)

I Move On (From Chicago) - Fred Ebb & John Kander, songwriters (Catherine Zeta-Jones & Renée Zellweger)

Lose Yourself (From 8 Mile) - J. Bass, M. Mathers & L. Resto, songwriters (Eminem)

A Mighty Wind (From A Mighty Wind) - Christoher Guest, Eugene Levy & Michael McKean, songwriters (The Folksmen, Mitch & Mickey, And The New Main Street Singers)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

freakerdude

This has to be the most boring Gram-me nominee group yet, for the most part. Where has music gone this year and where is it going? The talent is really lacking excpet for a few. Outkast should win Record Of The Year.
MC Pee Pants

Kal

I like most of the nominations... seems fair

Pedro

that best alternative album is hard to vote on. . .  i guess if i had to choose it'd be hail to the thief, but im just not sure.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pedro the Wombathail to the thief
fuckin' pop music.  grammy's= ghey.

freakerdude

Quote from: SoNowThenNickelback must die. The worst possible thing to contribute to the world of music...
I couldn't agree with you any more on that statement, but I'll leave your province out of it.

My favorite band snagged a spot but highly doubt they will win. I didn't hear about the contenders.

Best Rock Instrumental
Allman Brothers Band-Instrumental Illness

FYI, but I am sure you folks know how they are nominated.

SONG goes to songwriters only.
RECORD goes to songwriter, performer and producer of a single track (doesn't have to be released as a single).
ALBUM is like RECORD, except it gets really nutty cuz it can include many if there are multiple song writers and producers (which happens a lot in pop and rap nowadays), as well as performers.

GRAMMYS are nominated and awarded by recording industry professionals WHO HAVE PAID FINANCIAL MEMBERSHIP DUES. Interesting to note that these awards were never meant to reflect the interests of the general public (supposedly Dick Clark's American Music Awards were designed to circumvent this lock out of the public, by looking at sales reports, projections and charts, thoughthey add a PR flavor to things by using random questionaires). This is a major misconception since ceremonies are broadcast in prime time . Also, not all recording artists pay dues, so they are not allowed to nominate or otherwise vote. These rules are pretty much the same for OSCARS and EMMYS. YOu pay your dues (literally) you cast your vote.
MC Pee Pants

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffinBest Alternative Music Album: "Fight Test," The Flaming Lips; "Hail To The Thief," Radiohead; "Untitled," Sigur Rós; "Elephant," The White Stripes; "Fever To Tell," Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

For the most part I noticed this thing was swamped with rap, then I saw this one.  Very good picks.  So hard that I can't even pick.  Well, I can kick out the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but that makes it even harder to narrow down.  By Fight Test do they Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin4. New Artist: Fountains of Wayne.

what a fucking joke!  NEW artist, huh?  uhh, they've only been putting out albums for like 7 years.  its their 3rd cd for gods sake?!?  just because the lowest common denominator finally decided to take notice, hardly qualifies them for best new artist.

but like godardian said. the grammys dont mean shit.  it has no effect on music and is almost guaranteed to sink the careers of anyone who walks home with all the awards (joan osbourne norah jones, et al).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gloria

Quote from: themodernage02what a fucking joke!  NEW artist, huh?  uhh, they've only been putting out albums for like 7 years.  its their 3rd cd for gods sake?!?  just because the lowest common denominator finally decided to take notice, hardly qualifies them for best new artist.

Didn't the same thing happen to Shelby Lynne?  She had been putting out country and folk albums for years, but all of a sudden she turns a little edgier (and dyes her hair blonde) and all of a sudden she was nominated for best new artist.  I think she even mentioned the 'long time coming' in her acceptance speech.

Pubrick

since when does anyone care about grammys.

i say this every year.
under the paving stones.