Dave Matthews in the Park

Started by aclockworkjj, September 14, 2003, 02:08:46 PM

aclockworkjj

Dave Matthews Band plans free concert in Central Park

NEW YORK (September 12, 1:10 p.m. ADT) - The Dave Matthews Band will perform a free concert in Central Park later this month to benefit the city's public schools, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Friday.

The "Dave Matthews Band in Central Park - The AOL Concert for Schools" will be held Sept. 24 on the park's Great Lawn. Free tickets will be distributed throughout New York City as part of a sweepstakes.

Bloomberg made the announcement at Central Park's Belvedere Castle, where he was joined by members of the Dave Matthews Band and executives of AOL.

The concert will benefit the Department of Education's Fund for Public Schools, a nonprofit group that raises support for the city's schools.

AOL has committed a minimum of $1 million, which will be used for music education programs. Concert organizers also will contribute an additional $1 million to the city.

No one will be allowed to enter the concert area without a ticket. There is a two-ticket limit, and they will be available in all five boroughs from Sept. 13-23 through AOL street teams. The teams will distribute tickets to pedestrians who will be able to immediately scan their tickets to learn if they have won.

Tickets also are available at the AOL Web site www.aol.com/dmbtix or the Dave Matthews Band Web site www.davematthewsband.com and through promotions on Infinity Broadcasting's radio stations in major cities across the country.

I believe this is also going to be streamed on AOL for all the AOL members out there, if interested..

Dave has a new solo album coming out too.  Here are the details.
[/size]

Pedro

Dave Matthews Band live is fucking sweet always.  I wish I could get a stream. damn.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pedro the WombatDave Matthews Band live is fucking sweet always.  I wish I could get a stream. damn.
really they are...no matter how lame they have gotten...they still rock live.  I saw them first in '94 and about 25 times since...I will be the first to say their latest shit sucks...but when they whip out something like 2 Step live....it's all good, I am satisied, fuct, and done for the night....find me a cute girl in the parking lot.

NEON MERCURY

..i like dmb..it's just their main fans(frat boys and sorority girls) give them a bad name now.. to me they are  "frat rock"..and i am not dissing on frats/sororitys either ..its just dmb has a bad fanbase like phish  does with all those fake hippies and stuff.

Pedro

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Pedro the WombatDave Matthews Band live is fucking sweet always.  I wish I could get a stream. damn.
really they are...no matter how lame they have gotten...they still rock live.  I saw them first in '94 and about 25 times since...I will be the first to say their latest shit sucks...but when they whip out something like 2 Step live....it's all good, I am satisied, fuct, and done for the night....find me a cute girl in the parking lot.
I dunno...I thought the Lillywhite Sessions/Busted Stuff was great.  BUT!Everyday was absolutely terrible.  "I Did It" might be their worst song ever.  But live they seem to make even songs off the shitty album sound better.

European Son

I'm seeing DMB tomorrow in Nashville. BTW, I quite liked Busted Stuff. Not great, but a pretty good solid album. And what is this Everyday that you all speak of? That album never happened. You must be imagining things.

SoNowThen

die. Busted Stuff I great. Great. Great I say. Great. I mean, it's no Crowded Streets, but hey, what is?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

European Son

Quote from: SoNowThendie. Busted Stuff I great. Great. Great I say. Great. I mean, it's no Crowded Streets, but hey, what is?
Actually, I still rank Under the Table and Dreaming as their best album. Before These Crowded Streets would be second I guess.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI thought the Lillywhite Sessions/Busted Stuff
oh...very true...I just am bitter that they didn't release this stuff to begin with (thank god for internet theives thou).  Everyday is horrible, and it wasn't until they realized this that they released busted stuff...what makes me mad is his shows have become pretty predicable.  For instance...there is a 80% chance that he will play either ants marching or watchtower for the encore.  hou he was whippin' out Stir me Up as recent as last year...

I just wish he didn't cater to what the "fratrock" fans wanted to here so much.

the new songs I dig....grey street, grace is gone (thou he has been playing it live for awhile), bartender, umm...I know there is more...

The Stone is still probably one of my favs thou overall.

pete

that fiddler needs to be stopped.  I think the badness of their albums is proportional to how much attention they give to the fiddler.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

aclockworkjj

I am actually impressed with this, as I tend to me over critical of what this band has become (fuckin' huge)...I got home too damn late from work though, so I missed teh first part...and pissed.  

but right now...."Stop, baby...what's that sound everybody look what's going down..."

Pedro

Quote from: petethat fiddler needs to be stopped.  I think the badness of their albums is proportional to how much attention they give to the fiddler.
fuck no...he's like...awesome

aclockworkjj

Here is a story from the New York Post on it.

Sorry...but I am gonna turn this into the "Dave Matthews Band" thread...if as much as I depise some of their newer stuff....maybe I can at least share what I like, as well as get some stuff in return....do with it what you will.

My 1st suggestions...

aclockworkjj

His new album is a pile of shit....He sucks!!!!!

Bartender is good, but that's bout it.  Fuck Dave.

SoNowThen

c'mon JJ, Grey Street, Grace Is Gone, Digging A Ditch...??

Those are all good, too.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.