The beach boys!!!

Started by nevereven, March 13, 2003, 12:52:38 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

I fucking love the beach boys, and i know that it was all brian and not mike love. But if you listen to some of the " smile" stuff , some of it was too fucking druggy, but not in a cool way. He went past pet sounds at one point, and he just crawled into madness. " cool cool water" has one of the best melodys EVER. But try and sit through that song with out getting pissed off, I wish he was in his " pet sounds" frame of mind when he wrote that song, because it would not have so chaotic. I love the man

caroline no, god that was great

one more thing to bitch about i hate that part of good vibrations where it goes " I'm picking up good vibrations" it ruins what could of been a great song, i love that part of the song where it goes " I close my eyes.........."

damnit someone get me a theromin and a coke.....

motherfucker

Yo, word is bond with my butterscotch jones.  good vibrations is off the meat chain til they bust out with that I'm Picking Up Good Vibrations part.  Shit is wack.  But you know that Pet Sounds is the best album in the history of gaddamn history, believe dat.  I'm gonna hollah back youngin.  Peace.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: motherfuckerYo, word is bond with my butterscotch jones.  good vibrations is off the meat chain til they bust out with that I'm Picking Up Good Vibrations part.  Shit is wack.  But you know that Pet Sounds is the best album in the history of gaddamn history, believe dat.  I'm gonna hollah back youngin.  Peace.

damnit if brian wilson can crossover to young black men in the navy, why is it that my demographics are so low in the american indian death metal community. ::shakes fist:

Gold Trumpet

Everyone says how Revolver was the first album to bring rock n roll into serious art respect and it goes with history for The Beatles still having this respect, but for me, Revolver only seemed like small little touches into something more art wise. The full explosion of rock into art, was definitely with Pet Sounds. The Beatles though were able to benefit the most after the explosian. But the Beach Boys were the first ones to do it in my opinion. Brian Wilson was and is a genius indeed.

~rougerum

russiasusha

Which Beach Boys song is in Boogie Nights?
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

MacGuffin

Quote from: russiasushaWhich Beach Boys song is in Boogie Nights?

"God Only Knows" starts with Buck's Stereo Store commercial.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

russiasusha

o yeah.  I need to watch Boogie Nights again.  It's been too long.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

tpfkabi

i didn't like the use of God Only Knows in BN.
yes, i love the Beach Boys as well.
the Smile stuff was a big influence on the PDL soundtrack. the Smiley Smile track Fall Breaks Into Winter would almost perfectly fit in.

does anyone own the Endless Harmony DVD? supposedly it has some footage of the Smile sessions and unreleased tracks.

oh yes.....Pet Sounds and Surf's Up are both in the works for a 5.1 CD.....Pet Sounds is supposed to have the video they made of I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

hey, Revolver is pretty special. listen to Tomorrow Never Knows........i always read that it was Rubber Soul that made Wilson want to do Pet Sounds.....i've never once read his reaction to Revolver........and then hearing Sgt. Pepper made him give up Smile........damn that Mike Love.......supposedly he's holding the Smile Session Box Set up as well
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ghostboy

Mike Love = big asshole.

European Son

It's a huge shame that Brian Wilson went nutty during the Smile era. He had made claims that Smile was going to blow Pet Sounds out of the water. Then he lost it and Smile was never completed. Rock history might be different if things had worked out.

DharmaBum84

Just wanted to add my little anecdote...

I've actually had the pleasure of meeting Brian Wilson at one of his concerts a few summers back.  i bought this pet sounds live in london poster and had him sign it.  And when i got to him i said something dorky like, "If you ever need an apprentice in the studio, I'm your man." Which is really embarrasing in hindsight.  Anyway, the weird thing is that he never looked up at me once (or anyone for that matter) and his assistant had to remind him to sign the poster.  Which is kind of a sad story when you think about it... but still a cool experience.

"Don't Talk" is the best song EVER.

Mesh

Beach Boys:  Best American Band of the 60s.

Period.

Not to mention Sunflower and Surf's Up (1970 and '71, respectively).  Both amazing albums.  If you like Grandaddy, Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Olivia Tremor Control....god, about a million bands.....it's because of the Beach Boys.

godardian

Quote from: MeshBeach Boys:  Best American Band of the 60s.

Period.

They were great, but doesn't Velvet Underground at least tie?

I also put anything Phil Spector did on an equal footing with either of those, but I realize I'm likely to be in the minority there.

But come on... The Velvet Underground.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: MeshBeach Boys:  Best American Band of the 60s.

They were great, but doesn't Velvet Underground at least tie?

I also put anything Phil Spector did on an equal footing with either of those, but I realize I'm likely to be in the minority there.

But come on... The Velvet Underground.

Honestly, I don't think they even come close to a tie.  Here's some reasoning as to why:

-The Beach Boys had a dozen indelible hits (conservatively) before the VU were but a twinkle behind Warhol's thick glasses.

-Good Vibrations may be both the catchiest and most artistic and most influential American single of the era.  Flabbergasting achievement.

-Pet Sounds is hands down the best American album of the 60s.

-Smile would've done what the VU did, had it come out.

-Beach Boys albums contemporary with the VU's classic period: Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Sunflower, Surf's Up.  Even up against classics like the VU & Nico, the VU S/T, and White Light/White Heat, The Beach Boys make a strong case.

Don't get me wrong now:  I both admire and enjoy the VU.  They were the apex of unique during their time and they are certainly as influential as the Beach Boys, if not moreso.  But ask me which band I thought was the more genius, the more tuneful, the more listenable, the more lyrically compelling, etc., etc., etc., and I'll go with The Beach Boys nearly every time.

Watch me get smacked down for this, now:  Creedence were as good a band as the VU and nearly as influential.......

*ducks*

Mesh

Quote from: godardian

Name some names and we'll see where this goes....