Worst Scorsese Film?

Started by modage, May 18, 2003, 12:17:04 AM

©brad

these 'worst movie' threads really suck.

abbey road

i loved bringing out the dead, but i say after hours takes the cake, and color of moeny was lame, i mean y did he even want to do a sequal to the hustler, honestly?
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

Gold Trumpet

First off, I must admit to never seeing Kundun, The Color of Money, Boxcar Bertha, and Cape Fear. Even with Scorsese, I am very willing and likely to pass up on a film of his I hear from the get go is average or not so good. Not enough time to see every movie.

With that, two films come up to mind right away in being pretty bad. Gangs of New York and King of Comedy. Gangs, unlike about every other Scorsese film I've seen, lacked the passion that makes Scorsese Scorsese. Then there are all the other complaints I've said time and time before about this movie which is very unfocused on the whole and more in love with the history of NYC at the time then making a film. The King of Comedy plays with as many ideas as a straightforward drama but is not one. Its a comedy and unlike the best comedies, it lacks the creativity of ideas and passion of being a comedy. It is one full idea drawn out to an unbelievable length that you wonder why you continued watching it after 15 minutes because of how so dull it makes the subject. The answer is hope which sometimes is only that.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

No no no no no, GT. Watch King Of Comedy again. It's all about celebrity and fame, and more uncomfortable comedy than anything, like a slightly surreal comedy of manners. And think about when it was written... it pre-dated a lot of the weird shit on tv nowadays, yet predicted so much of the fascination with weirdos who seem to get handed their 15 minutes of fame continually.

I think it's by far the most underrated Scorsese, maybe next to Bringing Out The Dead.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

and to everybody else.... Color Of Money is great. Aaarrrghhh, this post is starting to piss me off...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Agree about King of Comedy- I place it with Network, Citizen Ruth, and American Psycho as Really Dark, Really Astute satire- but not about Bringing Out the Dead, which I just thought had too many flaws, too many scenes that didn't work. The "ghosts" made me roll my eyes. It was just too much.

But I'll admit I haven't seen it since its release. Maybe I'll make a double feature of that and Three Kings, just to re-confirm.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yes!! That is one hell of an amazing movie night if you do that!!

1999 rocks.

Gold Trumpet

I'll think about watching King of Comedy again, but I think my disagreement about the film is not what people really think it is. Yes, I understand it comes off as a weird dark humor comedy, but still, it feels like it is dragging me along one small idea that should take up 15 minutes but has an hour and a half to it. I understand the realm of thought it deals with in looking to society and the power of TV, but it is one idea that seems stretched out by a plot very minimalistic in adding anything to that idea.

~rougerum

Alethia

i didnt like life lessons or life with zoe, i only liked oedipus wrecks....but that was a rare misstep from scorsese.  i love all his movies except that and new york, new york

abbey road

Quote from: SoNowThenYes!! That is one hell of an amazing movie night if you do that!!

1999 rocks.

i totally agree, my top 3 movies of all time: eyes wide shut, magnolia, and american beauty...1999 does rock!
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

Ernie

Quote from: cbrad4dthese 'worst movie' threads really suck.

I know. They make me sad.

soixante

My vote goes to Cape Fear.

I've always thought that King of Comedy, despite the title, is a drama.  I feel like it has a great first half, then runs out of energy in the second half, but the first half is so brilliant that I rate the movie highly overall.  And keep in mind, that film pretty much predicted the celebrity stalker culture that has become so prevalent today.

There's nothing wrong with examining both ends of the quality spectrum of directors we admire.  After all, even Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock  made weak films.  Shakespeare wrote a few bad plays -- scholars love to dump on Titus Andronicus.  Altman made Beyond Therapy.

I've done this exercise before, trying to determine what my LEAST favorite Beatle song is -- after all, I love a lot of their songs, but there are a few that suck -- Blue Jay Way, for example.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Duck Sauce

Agreed, nothing good ever comes out of them, except when they go off topic

modage

i actually think they can be just as interesting a topic as FAVORITE movie threads.  granted, they can be kind of a downer, especially if you're discussing one of your favorite directors shortcomings, but just as valid or interesting a topic.  its something that i cannot for the life of me figure out.
why is it that all great artists lose what makes them great at one point?
music, art,  movies, it seems like anyone who sticks around in their field long enough eventually stumbles, sometimes never to regain footing.  personally i feel like the 80s was not the creative zenith for scorsese.  and this could be due to A) lack of inspiration B) lack of good projects/scripts and C) personal issues, drugs divorce, etc.  but whatever the reason it may have seemed like he was washed up. and then BAM! 1990, Goodfellas comes out and proves that his best work may in fact still lie ahead of him.  or atleast something as good as his previous works.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: soixanteI've done this exercise before, trying to determine what my LEAST favorite Beatle song is -- after all, I love a lot of their songs, but there are a few that suck -- Blue Jay Way, for example.

Blue Jay Way is great. you must hate organs of the musical kind.

and i just got King of Comedy on DVD. i like it lots.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.