My run-in w/ Q (plus Vol. 2)

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 10, 2003, 07:27:50 PM

pete

yeah QT is a very very nice guy in person.  I was surprised.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Teen Wolf

MacGuffin

I met him on the set of "Crimson Tide" (he did uncredited rewrites) just a few days after the release of "Pulp Fiction". I shook his hand and told him what a great movie it was. He was very cordial and said, "Thank you. Thanks a lot." And although I didn't witness it, a friend of mine told me Denzel called his a racist (probably because of the white/black horse dialogue).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Right.. QT being a racist... just smell that racism in his dialogue.. and how he mistreats Sam Jackson. Whoooeee! And I thought HITLER was bad...

Teen Wolf

QT was in my local video store one time. I heard him before I saw him. He was gabbing away about some movie. I was like, Hey -- that sounds just like... then, peeking my head over the aisle I saw him at the counter. I was too chicken to walk up and say anything to him. And a few weeks earlier, I saw Brett Ratner in there -- he was renting Boogie nights! I'm only kidding, I actually didn't see what he was renting.

cine

That's alright, it was probably Boogie Nights anyway.

MacGuffin

I would think Ratner has his own copy of "Boogie Nights" that he wouldn't need to rent it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I don't think QT is racist, he just wants really bad to be "down" that's all.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Duck Sauce

If i could meet him or PTA, Id go with QT... he has the type of craziness that would make for a more interesting meet thatn PTA

Alethia

PTA is very calm and shy, least when i met him.

Weak2ndAct

So... some odd six months after my first encounter w/ QT at the Jimmy Kimmel show, I once again found myself backstage for round two.  This time, the situation was quite different:

- I was not the designated drunk this time, but the designated driver... so I was going to have to rely on my own backbone and not alcohol to do the talking.
- There was no agenda for talking to QT, I honestly didn't even know what I would even want to say given the chance (considering how much I said last time).
- Prodded by friends, I had my Kill Bill dvd in my back pocket for the purpose of getting an autograph.

Well, I watched the show from the green room and he never came back there.  I figured the whole thing would be a wash.  Then I get wind that there's a 'surprise' in store... and it's revealed on the show that the audience is invited to go watch the movie w/ QT after the show.  Okay, that's something.  Right as the show is wrapping up, my friend and I are told to get a move on and get outside.  We walk out the front door w/ the audience and someone is handing out free Kill Bill Vol. 1 dvds outside!  Yeah, I already have one, but free is free, so I take a copy.  

So now the whole audience, the people in the green room, the show's crew, and assorted camera/crew people have swarmed onto Hollywood Blvd.  It's a true mob (green room people are blotto, btw).  Instead of going across the street to the Mann theatres, we're told we're heading on foot to the Arclight theatre (you LA people can do the math on the walk, it ain't that bad, but it ain't fun either).  And as we walk, Quentin and Kimmel have cameras following them and chants of 'KILL BILL KILL BILL' break out.  A truly surreal moment.  After heading a couple blocks down Hollywood, Quentin takes off across the street and ducks into the Pig and Whistle, presumably for some drinks.  Did we get ditched already?

The motley bunch moves on, now onto Sunset Blvd.  The group has attracted other people now, the mass of people is now getting out of control, not giving a shit about traffic lights or crosswalks.  Once we get to the theatre, Quentin has returned and the chants break back out.  We make our way inside the lobby, it's as if an army has stormed in.  My friend and I are yelling, chanting, and making a ruckus, walking side by side w/ QT as the cameras roll (will this make the show?).  We finally get to the theatre and find some seats waiting for us in the front row (not the 'real' front row, but the first one above that section of head-tilters).  

And of course, if the whole thing couldn't even get more bizarre, security has showed up, and they give the 2 seats next to me to Jimmy Kimmel and QT (I am sitting next to Kimmel, QT is in the next seat).  The security guys have to hang around and deflect the rabid fans (someone 18 year old asshole literally walked up and asked why Ezekiel 25:17 isn't what's in the Bible, and I thought, 'dude, that's so 1995' as he was justly dragged away).  QT looked generally on edge by all the madness, and I don't blame him.  Everyone wanted a picture/autograph/answer-to-some-asinine-question and I figured I oughta just keep my trap shut and just enjoy the experience.  

Finally, Kimmel did an intro to the movie, got the crowd riled up, and they started the movie.  The crowd cheered when Q's name appeared at the front of the Hero trailer, booed 'Godsend,' was disinterested by the Spider-Man 2 trailer, and then once the movie started, the crowd went nuts.  I suddenly became extremely hyper-aware of the situation.  Here I am, watching Kill Bill Vol 2. right next to Quentin Fucking Tarantino.  Should I force laughs, be honest w/ my reactions?  What to do?  My friend was shitfaced, so he was overembellishing all emotions.  Suckily, QT stayed only through the first reel and left right as we got to Budd.  But still, the whole night was quite bizarre, and an experience I won't forget.

I must admit, I'm quite curious to see if I'll get on TV tomorrow night (the walk and theatre antics are for the Tuesday show).  Apparently this episode is all-QT, so we shall see (note: I'm wearing a red t-shirt w/ a long black shirt underneath, so maybe you'll spot me in the theatre or outside, who knows).

Funny side-note: after the movie, as we're walking out, Uncle Frank was FURIOUS about how much he hated this 'shitty movie' and was pissed he had to sit through the whole thing.  There is talk of pranking him about it.

cine

Weak,

I'm giving you the heads up now that I'm moving to LA and getting a place with you. And I'm going to follow you around like on of those old cartoons where the big stupid dog prances are the smart small dog and says "Which way did he go, Weak? Huh? Which way did he go?"

... I felt you deserved a heads up.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

cine

I just barely spotted Weak in that segment on Kimmel.