Sean Penn

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 07, 2003, 10:26:49 PM

meatball

I'm bumping this up so it sits next to the Bill Murray one.

I liked Penn in Hurlyburly. Arguing while driving was hilarious.
I also liked him in Sweet and Lowdown. Thin Red Line was alright.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: meatballI'm bumping this up so it sits next to the Bill Murray one.

I liked Penn in Hurlyburly. Arguing while driving was hilarious.
I also liked him in Sweet and Lowdown. Thin Red Line was alright.

I was this close to posting something here last night.

I think we tend to ignore the actors in favor of the actresses a lot.

A Matter Of Chance

I really liked Sean Penn in "Sweet and Lowdown"

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceI really liked Sean Penn in "Sweet and Lowdown"

Hell yes! That's one of my favorite Pennformances. My other tops:
Jeff Spiccoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High
21 Grams
Mystic River

umm....I really need to look into his other, older movies. I saw Colors and thought it was OK.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Chest Rockwell

21 Grams
Mystic River

umm....I really need to look into his other, older movies. I saw Colors and thought it was OK.

How could I have forgotten Spiccoli? Gnarly..

also "I am Sam"

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance
Quote from: Chest Rockwell

21 Grams
Mystic River

How could I have forgotten Spiccoli? Gnarly..

also "I am Sam"
Granted, he was great in I am Sam, but I just didn't like the movie that much.

A Matter Of Chance

Yeah, I guess it wasn't magnificent.

MacGuffin

Sean Penn Aboard The Last Face
Source: Variety

Oscar nominee Sean Penn will star opposite Javier Bardem and Robin Wright Penn in The Last Face for TF1 International, says Variety. Budgeted at $20 million, production in San Francisco and South Africa will begin late spring.

Written and to be directed by Erin Dignam, the film will follow two humanitarian doctors who fall in love while working in war-torn Africa.

TF1 holds international rights on the title, which it will begin repping today at the American Film Market.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

ThinkFilm elects to output 'Nixon'

NEW YORK -- Indie distributor ThinkFilm sealed a deal Monday to acquire the Sean Penn-Naomi Watts starrer "The Assassination of Richard Nixon" two weeks before the film is slated to make its North American premiere Sept. 13 at the Toronto International Film Festival. Also starring Don Cheadle and Jack Thompson, "Nixon" is based on the true story of Samuel Bicke (Penn), a bitter man who blames the president for the unraveling of his own American dream and hatches a terrorist plot. "Nixon" was directed by Niels Mueller, who co-wrote the screenplay with Kevin Kennedy. Alfonso Cuaron and Jorge Vergara produced through their Anhelo Prods. Leonardo DiCaprio, Alexander Payne, Frida Torresblanco and Kennedy executive produced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Henry Hill

although there is hardly buzz or word on this film, i am excited about seeing it. if not just for the people involved, both onscreen and off.

MacGuffin

Sean Penn signs on to direct Alaska adventure flick

Oscar-winning US actor Sean Penn has reportedly signed on to direct an action adventure movie based on Jon Krakauer's best-selling Alaska-set novel "Into the Wild."

Penn, 45, will steer the Paramount Classics film that will star 20-year-old American actor Emile Hirsch, who had a role in last year's acclaimed drama "The Lords of Dogtown," Daily Variety said.

The movie will be based on Penn's own adaptation of Krakauer's book.

Hirsch will play a college graduate who abandons his possessions and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness and return to nature. He however dies four months later in an abandoned bus at a remote campsite.

Penn, who won the best supporting actor Oscar for Clint Eastwood's 2003 film "Mystic River", has already directed three films: "The Pledge" (2001), "The Crossing Guard" (1995) and "The Indian Runner" (1991).

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

Crap. Why isn't this To The White Sea.

I will keep hoping for that to happen until it gets made or I die. Probably the latter...

MacGuffin

'Wild' times for Keener, Vaughn, Par
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Catherine Keener and Vince Vaughn are taking a walk on the "Wild" side. The two have boarded the Sean Penn-helmed "Into the Wild," which Paramount Pictures' new specialty division is distributing.

Emile Hirsch already has signed on to star in the film, which chronicles the true story of Christopher McCandless, who graduated from college in 1992, abandoned his possessions and hitchhiked to Alaska to live in the wilderness and return to nature. He died four months later in an abandoned bus at a remote campsite. Penn adapted the screenplay from Jon Krakauer's book of the same name.

Keener's character picks up the hitchhiker and takes him in as a surrogate son. Vaughn plays a tow-truck driver whom Hirsch's character meets on the road.

Art Linson and William M. Pohlad are producing. Pohlad's River Road Entertainment is financing the project.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

This is perfect material for Sean Penn.

I haven't seen Grizzly Man yet but from what I've heard it covers themes very similar to Into the Wild. The book was one of the creepiest I've ever read mainly because of haunting image of the abandoned bus but also because of how much I could relate to McCandless' idealism. I think its a really rich book to mine but I find Vaughn and Hirsch odd choices.

I sincerely hope this 'Action/Adventure' label is just to spark interest.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Penn Fighting Enemies?
Reportedly starring in 9/11 drama.

According to a report by Christopher Isham at ABC News' The Blotter, Oscar winner Sean Penn will star in Columbia's Against All Enemies for Oscar-winning writer-director Paul Haggis. John Calley will produce the film.

The pic is based on the bestselling memoir Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror by former U.S. counter-terrorism czar Richard Clarke, who is now a consultant for ABC News. Gee, I wonder who tipped off ABC?

Penn would portray Clarke in the film, which ABC reminds us "chronicles what happened inside the White House leading up to and through the 9/ll attacks."

Clarke's book illustrates the inner workings of both the Clinton and current Bush administrations in regards to counter-terrorism.

Skeleton FilmWorks