Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Gamblour.

mod is right.

and the new episode SUCKED
WWPTAD?

modage

well i went on record to say that last week was the only lackluster episode of the series, but this weeks was worse.  i don't like what they're doing with their characters.  they're creating conflicts because they realized that now that all the original survivors get along and the tailies are integrated (which was the whole drama of the first half of this season, getting everyone back together and meeting the new people) they have no drama.  so they're trying to stir up drama's but it feels completely false.  after everything the've told us about these characters to have them do things that are so OUT OF CHARACTER is one of the worst things a show can do.  (alias in the later seasons was a big offender in this category).  i dont believe for a second that charlie would act so crazy or locke would be so irrational or etc. etc. etc..  conflict is fine, but it doesnt seem to be growing organically, it seems forced.  and the flashback was sort of pointless.  i hope they get back to greatness next week and these two episodes are not the beginning of the shows decline.  it's too soon!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

drive shaft was in diapers. i mean my god.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

It was just weird.  An entire episode with, quite literally, no narrative development. 

It's like in the early days of animation, where they'd have the main artists draw the frames that show the big movements of the characters, and then the low-paid interns would draw the "in between" frames to fill in the motion.  This episode was like an "in between" frame.

The only compelling thing in the episode was the exchange between Hurley and Libby.  Something set off a warning bell in Hurley's head, and I for one want to find out what it was.   :ponder:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on January 26, 2006, 02:20:16 AM
The only compelling thing in the episode was the exchange between Hurley and Libby.  Something set off a warning bell in Hurley's head, and I for one want to find out what it was.   :ponder:

I agree, though I can't separate that actress from her DUI photo. She was supposed to be, and kinda was, really hot but it didn't reach its full potential. Rodriquez is still pug fugly.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modage on January 25, 2006, 09:42:27 PM
well i went on record to say that last week was the only lackluster episode of the series, but this weeks was worse.  i don't like what they're doing with their characters.  they're creating conflicts because they realized that now that all the original survivors get along and the tailies are integrated (which was the whole drama of the first half of this season, getting everyone back together and meeting the new people) they have no drama.  so they're trying to stir up drama's but it feels completely false.  after everything the've told us about these characters to have them do things that are so OUT OF CHARACTER is one of the worst things a show can do.  (alias in the later seasons was a big offender in this category).  i dont believe for a second that charlie would act so crazy or locke would be so irrational or etc. etc. etc..  conflict is fine, but it doesnt seem to be growing organically, it seems forced.  and the flashback was sort of pointless.  i hope they get back to greatness next week and these two episodes are not the beginning of the shows decline.  it's too soon!

It's too soon to start worrying about the show's overall quality.  It seems like they only have half a season's worth of plot that they're padding out to fit a whole season but there's no way for us to tell yet if any of this is going to factor into some major shit later on in this season or even in the next one.  The Sun/Jin flashback episode from earlier in the season was some hardcore padding too.  I didn't like the episode when it first ran but looking back on it, it was great... but there was nothing to advance their story nor what was going on on the island that they couldn't have stuck into other episodes.  Last night's was like that too but if what I have been waiting for to happen happens, then this episode will be a pretty big turning point in some respects. 

Quote from: Gamblour on January 26, 2006, 08:23:47 AM
Rodriquez is still pug fugly.

But it was the first time she didn't make me want to take a sledgehammer to her face.  She was almost... endearing.  Almost.

The only compelling thing in the episode was the exchange between Hurley and Libby. Something set off a warning bell in Hurley's head, and I for one want to find out what it was. :ponder:

POSSIBLE SPOILER

After last week's commercial for this week, I thought to myself when Hurley says "Have we met before?", that Libby was IN the psych ward as a patient.  Couple that with a theory my girlfriend heard (from where, I don't know) that Libby is a pathological liar and there you are.

edison

Quote from: edison on January 19, 2006, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: hacksparrow on January 19, 2006, 09:42:37 AM
They've turned a corner here.  Shit is gonna go DOWN!

but by the way this show goes, we probably wont see anything more about the "army" comment till like another 3-4 episodes, with 2-3 weeks of repeats in between.

I knew it

Quote from: modage on January 25, 2006, 09:42:27 PM
i hope they get back to greatness next week

Hate to rain on your parade but the next new episode is in 2 weeks.

modage

see, but it's not the padding i mind.  in fact, as long as it's GOOD padding i much prefer it to the characters acting completely OUT of character for drama's sake which is mostly what has bugged me about the last two episodes.   let jack and kate go golfing or jin and sun have a flashback, it's all good.  just dont let them come face to face with the others and NOT ASK a single question.  thats bad writing.
Quote from: Gamblour on January 26, 2006, 08:23:47 AM

I agree, though I can't separate that actress from her DUI photo. She was supposed to be, and kinda was, really hot but it didn't reach its full potential. Rodriquez is still pug fugly.
me too!  it's TERRIBLE.  i cannot NOT think of that photo EVERY TIME i see her.  i told my girlfriend about it but then said she could never see it.  its detracting from the show for me.  rodriguez looks the same as when i see her on the show: HATE. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Yeah this episode was pretty bad... I just came back from a trip and sat down very happy cause I was watching Lost and the Episode 100 of Smallville... and they ruined my fucking friday... I think I'm going out now just to get it out of my head.

With Charlie I just think its pointless to keep explaining his story... it was clear with the first flashback and the brother... no need for this. He reminds me of MERRY all the time and I so far I dont think he brought anything good to the people in the Island... so I dont really care for him.

What bothers me the most is that it seemed like last week's epsiode didnt happen... nobody really discussed it and nothing new happened. Its one of those episodes that you can skip and there is nooo problem.

Hope they go back to the good stuff next week.

modage

Quote from: kal on January 27, 2006, 08:05:40 PM
Hope they go back to the good stuff next week.
Hate to rain on your parade but the next new episode is in 2 weeks.

Kal

damnit

I hate TV, there is nothing!

Rudie Obias

darren aronofsky is directing an episode during the may sweeps!!!  i just read that in the new issue of lost magazine.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

edison

Quote from: rudiecorexxx on January 29, 2006, 08:00:25 PM
darren aronofsky is directing an episode during the may sweeps!!!  i just read that in the new issue of lost magazine.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=8258.0

JG

well, this was another terrible episode, no?  the past 2 have been terrible.  i now definitley see what your saying mod.  everything about tonight was so contrived.   the one really nice moment was when moonlight sonata was playing.  but i think they're ruining the show.

modage

yes, and it KILLS ME TO SAY IT, but it was utter shit.  save for hurley and sayids moments together, kate confronting sawyer and the reveal at the end atleast sets things up for real drama even if they had to make EVERY character act COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER to do it.  3 in a row, i'm worried REALLY REALLY WORRIED it might never come back.  jack, kate, sawyer, locke, charlie = nobody acting how they would reasonably act.  and save for the reveal of sawyers accomplice everything was completely predictable. 

why would locke need to babysit charlie?  first season he left it up to free will and fate and now he has to take things away from him and embarrass him?  why is jack so irrational and gung ho about getting to the guns?  how could locke fall for sawyer?  why in gods name would sawyer do ANYTHING like this?  'he's bad.'  i dont think so.  he hasnt been bad for a long time.  and the way he was taunting jack like some kind of schoolyard bully was awful.  in the first season he and jack clashed because of their personalities.  and sawyer has been pretty cool and likable for a long time.  why did he feel the need to flip out?  he won kate and jack had recently saved his life.  why all the hate?  'they're running the place now and i dont like being bossed around'.  i dont buy it for a second.  thats the writers lazily creating conflict where one had worn away.  and charlie doing what he's done has put him over the deep end of unforgivable.  its not in his character AT ALL, but neither was the way locke treated him.  still, even if he wanted to get locke back there is no way in fuck he would do something to sun like that who was a complete innocent.  never.  the writers have just created hate for those two because they needed it and i dont know if i can forgive them for that.