Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

SiliasRuby

I saw friday the 13th uncut the original last night and I felt like a stereotypical black person....Man that sounds racist. But seriously this was the Best camp film ever. Another pun Mod. I was yelling at the screen and shouting at the characters on how stupid they were acting and all in blu-ray. So I have yet to see the sequels but they are on my list but so are a bunuel I netflixed and 'scenes from a marriage' which I've had for weeks. This was great though.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Reel

The whole series of Friday the 13th just has this odor emanating from it , they all seem to have a really good balance of like sort of gritty production design and the right amount of stupid quips combined with straight on violence usually consisting of direct sharp object to body contact that give it an air of realness that isn't so contrived as the other horror movies these days

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gistofit on May 09, 2009, 01:20:04 AM
The whole series of Friday the 13th just has this odor emanating from it , they all seem to have a really good balance of like sort of gritty production design and the right amount of stupid quips combined with straight on violence usually consisting of direct sharp object to body contact that give it an air of realness that isn't so contrived as the other horror movies these days

Let's not truly compliment this bad series, but I understand what you mean. I just think that any distinction this series has (compared to recent horror films) is based on the good luck the series had in originating during the 1980s. The limited budgets meant for a semi realistic approach to some ridiculous stories. The look doesn't feel unique because all the mechanisms used to make this film have become archaic. Friday the 13th tries to be standard horror (for its time), but the film ages like wine in which years are relatively nice to it.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 28, 2009, 10:42:20 PM
Quote from: Gistofit on February 28, 2009, 08:55:27 PM
Are those movies about Manson ever any good? It seems like all they do is show a depiction of what was outlined in Helter Skelter which makes them boring and not scary at all.

Helter Skelter is great; the original mini-series, not the recent remake. It's not a scary movie in terms of a slasher pic, it's an adaptation of the book so it's a reenactment of the events (think an extended episode of Law And Order), so that makes for a truth is scarier than fiction type horror.

'Helter Skelter' was certainly freaky. Disturbing in every sense of the word. The actors were the most realistic and now I feel dirty just rethinking the images from this film in my head, even though essentially like you said Mac..A extended law and order episode. I still really would like Oliver Stone to take a crack at this. I'm watching interviews of the people nowand I shouldn't because it will give me nightmares.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Now watch, as a companion piece, The Deadly Tower, with Kurt Russell as U of Texas sniper, Charles Whitman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072852/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I watched Trick 'R Treat last night and wasn't impressed. I'd heard so many things about it and how it was getting shafted, etc, that I really couldn't wait to see it.

It's a mess. The story makes no sense. It has some cool parts but overall, it's just not a very good movie.

Judging it in context, it's a great direct to video flick, but not a very good movie, otherwise.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

I've been on a renting kick lately, and I think I'll use this wonderful month to catch up on things I still haven't seen. Including

Rosemary's Baby
Mirrors
Funny Games
Dawn of the Dead
some Dario Argento movie
a few Nightmares and Friday the 13ths
50s camp

and anything you fine folks might suggest.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblour. on September 29, 2009, 04:15:46 PM

Rosemary's Baby
Mirrors
Funny Games
Dawn of the Dead
some Dario Argento movie
a few Nightmares and Friday the 13ths
50s camp

Mirrors is laughably bad.  We watched it for bad movie night.  Unless you're just wanting something really awful, skip it and focus on the good ones on that list, like Rosemary's Baby, DotD, Suspiria, and NoES (first and third).

Gamblour.

But Mirrors is so scary, Kiefer bought a house without any mirrors in it!!!
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Funny Games isn't necessarily Halloween scary as it is mortifying.

Suspiria and Inferno are great, Rosemary's Baby is probably my favorite among your choices, and the first three Friday the 13th's are great, the first Nightmare is outstanding, but immediately tanks afterwards.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

picolas

Quote from: Walrus on September 30, 2009, 01:53:56 AMmortifying
mortifying means embarrassing. i think you mean horrifying.

it's probably the scariest movie i've ever seen. even though i don't think i like it.

Fernando

^^^ I thought it meant like worried, but that's because in spanish that word (mortificado) means to be worried about, to feel angst, maybe walrus meant he was concerned or anxious about the whole situation?

I looked it up...

mortify:
–verb (used with object)
1. to humiliate or shame, as by injury to one's pride or self-respect.
Synonyms: 1. humble, abase

is that the same as embarrassing?

embarrass:
–verb (used with object)
1. to cause confusion and shame to; make uncomfortably self-conscious; disconcert;
Synonyms: 1. discompose, discomfit, chagrin

:yabbse-undecided: even after all these definitions I'm not sure I get how to use mortify in english.

edit:

from the use in a sentence feature at damn dictionary.com

When Timothy took off all his clothes and jumped in the pool in front of the dinner guests, my mother was mortified.

Then, there is a google hit of the use of that word:
"Mortify means to "humiliate or embarrass." The part of speech is a verb. For example: Jane was mortified when she had a rip in her pants."

so in the end pic is right, i don't get why dictionary.com doesn't include embarrass as part of the definition.

oh well, i hope i didn't bore you to death, but i love to know how to properly use words, and some of you write pretty good so xixax is a good source, although some ppl pretty often make a mistake with they're-there-their.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Oooooook, well I went with Les Diaboliques to being with, but made sure not to rent Diabolique with Sharon Stone, because that would have been mortifying.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Okay, as I did last year, once again, I will attempt to do thirty-one horror films in the 31 days of October.

Day 1

Vaguely remember the original (maybe I'll get to that later in the month). This remake is only good up to a certain point, then it becomes increasingly annoying. It starts off well enough, albeit some minor cliches and obvious set-ups that will pay off later. But once it presents the rape scene, it shows you what horror really is. That scene alone (and I'm assuming it was harsher for the Unrated version I watched) was so cringe worthy; uneasy and unsettling. And it was done without seeing much of the rape itself; relying on screams, grunts and reaction shots. It was an accident you can't look away from. But from there it's all downhill. The lead girl's character has some spunk to her (no sperm pun intended) rather than a simple damsel in distress role, and the villian's deserve their hatred and revenge upon them (think of Pitt and Lewis from Kalifornia), but once the parents get involved, you're more along the lines of saying "Yeah, right" rather than shouting "That's right!" Some of the kills felt like the scene in Pulp Fiction when Butch goes through the pawn shop and keeps one-upping the level of weapons to use. Here, they use each of those weapons in quick succession because apparently people are really fucking hard to kill! A tacked on ending (again, assuming it was for the Unrated version) was so out of place.

Skeleton FilmWorks