the all-too-infamous kevin smith magnolia

Started by Born Under Punches, May 08, 2003, 09:44:24 AM

godardian

But Smith, unlike Anderson, memorialized his contempt on celluloid, which many, many more people will see than An Evening with Kevin Smith. He is also really the only one who slung mud; as far as I knew, Anderson kept himself nicely above it all. When it comes to playing with pigs (and getting dirty, you know the cliche), some people know better, and I've been happy to believe that Anderson was one of those...

This, for me, was not so much a matter of opinion as of decorum. I felt the same way about Camille Paglia (whom I think offers a great deal more than Kevin Smith) when she went on her inexplicable anti-Susan Sontag rampage last decade. It just makes public figures look bad when they decide to "go after" another public figure with an unwarranted voraciousness.

I really don't care if Kevin Smith doesn't like Magnolia, or what Anderson thinks of his films. I just think Smith behaved so poorly and with so little merit to his big opinion, it just looked like he was trying in some very un-savvy, juvenile way to stir up controversy, i.e. publicity, the cheap-tabloid way: By causing trouble for an innocent party.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: godardianIn my own defense: Just thank the sweet lord it's not Jungians.

If it helps... I like Freud, but I love Jung.

Like the archetype stuff, but the Freudian movement seems to have headed in a much more common-sense direction than the Jungians... couldn't have had one without the other, though. A little conflict can be a great motivator to push the ol' teachings forward.

I don't like mysticism, so I prefer Freud. I find him very applicable; demystifying and unsentimental.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianI don't like mysticism

Oh c'mon. It's good for you.

"People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul."

"Every psychic advance of man arises from the suffering of the soul."

I like Jungisms.

godardian

Quote from: godardianI don't like mysticism

Oh c'mon. It's good for you.

"People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul."

"Every psychic advance of man arises from the suffering of the soul."

I like Jungisms.

Hmmm... quotes appreciated, but that's a lotta soul-talk for an agnostic like me.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: godardianthat's a lotta soul-talk for an agnostic like me.

As an agnostic, you should be open minded...

godardian

Quote from: godardianthat's a lotta soul-talk for an agnostic like me.

As an agnostic, you should be open minded...

Oh, I am... I don't reject Jung or any "spiritually" inclined psychoanalytic or theological theory outright, as there's usually at least something of value... but neither do I fully accept any of it, especially what I feel are the overly mystical bits. Since Freud seems to be working on a less mystical plane, I feel his theories are more comprehensive and applicable to my life and the world around me. Not as pretty as Jung's, but they make more sense to me.

godardian

Quote from: mogwaiSo Freud, how about getting back to the topic?

Ah, touche...

... but since I wanna "do" neither PTA nor Kevin Smith, it's not really the same thing. What we're talking here proceeded organically from the topic, and I'm sure it will very leisurely and circuitously find its way back there eventually. I wasn't sure I wanted to know where the YYY thing was going... maybe that was a whole different thread. We should just have a whole topic called "pants-creamers," maybe, so our other threads don't devolve into these feverish onanistic things... not that there isn't a place or time for fevered onanism. I mean, we are talking about the fabled Internet, here.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianWe should just have a whole topic called "pants-creamers," maybe, so our other threads don't devolve into these feverish onanistic things.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: godardianWe should just have a whole topic called "pants-creamers," maybe, so our other threads don't devolve into these feverish onanistic things.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

I checked it out... looks like an okay refuge for those who, when discussing the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, are suddenly distracted from the music and style of the band by an urgent impulse to discuss their desire to "do" the sex-goddess lead singer.

brockly

Myxo

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but I couldn't resist.

Talk about Kevin Smith and the ole' "pot calling the kettle black".

In 2004, Kevin Smith will release Jersey Girl.

If I recall, didn't the original theatrical poster for this film have Jennifer Lopez on the front with Ben Affleck?

I'm sorta curious. Why did they change it?

:yabbse-wink:

SHAFTR

Quote from: MyxomatosisSorry for resurrecting this post, but I couldn't resist.

If I recall, didn't the original theatrical poster for this film have Jennifer Lopez on the front with Ben Affleck? The new poster looks like this.

that has been the only official poster released.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Myxo

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: MyxomatosisSorry for resurrecting this post, but I couldn't resist.

If I recall, didn't the original theatrical poster for this film have Jennifer Lopez on the front with Ben Affleck? The new poster looks like this.

that has been the only official poster released.

Nope. There was another poster. I am sure of it. It might have been a teaser poster or something, but it was playing up the Bennifer relationship big time. When Gigli came out, suddenly I didn't see the poster in theaters anymore.

Banky

there was a poster at one time but it was not official and it had the kid, affleck, jlo, and liz.  by the way

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=369

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks