Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

Started by mutinyco, June 30, 2004, 09:58:16 PM

mutinyco

I just saw it for a second time. Directed by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky (Paradise Lost), the documentary follows Metallica over the course of a year as it deals with a midlife crisis. It clocks in at 2:20 and the long form narrative reminded me of Hoop Dreams. Expect rave reviews from critics when it comes out.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ravi

mutinyco

It chronicles the making of St. Anger. I believe it ends in spring/summer of 2003. You can see the trailer at: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/metallicasomekindofmonster.html
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pedro

read an article about it before.  it seems like it's going to be intense.  looking forward to it.  mutinyco, what did you think about it?

mutinyco

It's well-done. Even if you're not into Metallica, which I can't say I am, it still works. In fact, I doubt many of the middle-aged critics listen to Metallica, but they're pretty crazy about the movie. I think people see the title and think it'll be about their music and feature lots of live performances. It barely has any of that. It just tells the story of a few rich guys with Texas-sized egos learning to get along with each other for the first time in 20 years.

-St. Joe

mogwai

Quote from: mutinycoIt just tells the story of a few rich guys with Texas-sized egos learning to get along with each other for the first time in 20 years.
and this is what attracted you to the movie?

mutinyco

No, as a member of the press I get invited to see most movies before they're released. I liked it enough that I decided to start a thread for it, in anticipation of its release.

-St. Joe

SHAFTR

First off, I have to admit to being a Metallica fan.  I'm not as much of one as I once was, I haven't even listened to St Anger, but I am a huge fan of their 80s material.  I netflixed this and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Mutinyco is right, you don't have to be a fan to enjoy this film.  It is interesting to see a rock band deconstructed into three people who struggle to get a long.  The film chronicles rehab, the napster suits, a bassist leaving, the recording of an album and the addition of a new bassist.  Anyways, more of you should give this doc a watch.

**** out of 5 stars.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weird. Oh

I agree with the stated assessments prior to mine. It was definitely was amazing to see how little these guys can function normally and how badly all the drugs and partying messed them up. I actually despise lars ulrich even more though after watching the film because he comes off as even more of a prick. One could say it felt like a Behind the Music VH1 special, but at least the band put out a semi-successfull album out despite themselves.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.