Modest Mouse

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, November 05, 2003, 09:13:29 PM

Ghostboy

I too am no authority on Modest Mouse, but I'm really enjoying this album. The one problem I had on the first listen is that I found 'Float On' to be so good that the next song was just a let down. I read a review that described it as the 'Hey Ya' of indie rock, and while that doesn't really mean anything, I know what they mean -- you know? I love it.

I'm digging the rest of the album, though...especially the tracks (don't remember the names at the moment) that are so Tom Waits-ish.

Stefen

I don't wanna share this band with the mtv kids.  :cry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Stefen, I'm with you... really...

unfortunately, you're going to have to share it... you know why?  Because I like this band.  This happens with a LOT of the bands I like.  The more I like them, the more popular they get.

I really like this new one, but I have to say, it doesn't stay as solid as the others.

Though Float-on (as uncool as it is to say) is an amazing song.

Ravi

I like Lonesome Crowded West and Moon and Antarctica.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Mesh

Quote from: RegularKarateI really like this new one, but I have to say, it doesn't stay as solid as the others.

It's very uneven and has lots of filler and several flat-out bad tracks.  Of 14 real songs, I'd say perhaps 7 stand up to previous MM work.  Float On is just decent, they've written that song about 78 times, usually better than on GNFPWLBN.

Even if it grows on me a ton, this will only ever be the 3rd best Modest Mouse album.

Reed Rothchild

Its good but like everyone has said its more for the general public, its manufactured. Building nothing out of something is my personal favorite but the other night some kid was trying to tell me that after lonesome crowded west they suck which is a total farce because moons is one of the greatest disc of all time~
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

moonshiner

the album is very sugary, uneven is also a good criticism...they've splashed in some of their trademark angular, spacy guitar riffs, and the lyrics are less puzzling, more straightforward....i like it for its poppy, summery sound in parts, and the resignation in the album is projected well, just too obvious

of course, at the end of the day we're all wishing the album was better, bottom line
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

RegularKarate

This may be ancient news, but Itunes has an alternative mix of The good Times are killing me on a single with I've Got it All(most)

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pas

Everyone is talking about Modest Mouse these days, but it has the "As seen on Xixax 2 months before" tag

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I picked up Moon Over Anarctica...classic.

3rd Planet is bee-yoo-tiful.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Mesh

Quote from: Pas RapportEveryone is talking about Modest Mouse these days, but it has the "As seen on Xixax 2 months before" tag

I've been listening to Modest Mouse since 1997.  I'm:

A. old.

B. glad they're making some money finally.

Kev Hoffman

I have been a fan for about two years...I've seen Modest Mouse twice now, a year and a half ago in Chicago and just this last weekend in Milwaukee.  Great performances both shows.

Myxo

Eh.

It's an ok album.

I like the first couple of tracks and then it gets a little average.