Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

Reel

Quote from: Kellen on January 02, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
Katt Williams Threatens To Punch Quentin Tarantino Over N-Word

Katt Williams' cracked out ass was more exploited in that video than any black character in Django Unchained

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on January 02, 2013, 04:11:39 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on December 31, 2012, 04:49:41 PM
I watched this again yesterday and now I think I love it.
I'm gonna give this a second chance on Friday but if its still one of his weaker films, you owe me $12.

At this point, I'm comfortable in saying it's BY FAR the best film of his revenge era.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

This... (that video) does nothing for me.  Except point out how hollow all of his references are out of context.  Which I guess is something.

pete

Quote from: Reelist on January 02, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

Katt Williams' cracked out ass was more exploited in that video than any black character in Django Unchained

if Herzog still had balls he would be directing Katt Williams right now.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Neil

Quote from: Reelist on January 02, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

On jesus' birthday no less!
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Frederico Fellini

Jeremy Blackman

I heard that last night. That interview takes an interesting turn... definitely worth a listen.

Frederico Fellini

Finally watched it....

It was great. Entertaining, funny, great performances. I don't feel QT's cameo "ruined" the movie, as someone said. It was distracting yes, but I'm satisfied with seeing QT get blown the fuck up.

I gotta say, with all due respect to Leo's great performance, that I was more blown away by Sam Jackson. It's been a while since I've seen him be this good. Also, for some reason I was expecting the film to be a bit more violent than it was. "Basterds" was more violent and graphic.

I agree with Modage in the sense that the music choices are not that good. They seem to be all over the place. When the Rick ross song came on, some dude behind me yelled "REALLY!?", it made me LOL.

The only bone I have to pick with this movie is that the editing is FUCKING AWFUL. It's so jumpy, at times it felt like the first 20 minutes of THE MASTER, When Joaquin is going from place to place. Except PTA had a reason to do it that way (To give the audience a sense of Freddie's drunk "come-and-go" episodes), but Tarantino had no reason to do it here. A lot of scenes end up feeling rushed because of it. And not only that, but IN THE TRAILER they use BETTER takes than in the actual fucking movie. The "You had my curiosity, now you got my attention" is one example. Sally will be deeply missed. 

I might go watch the movie again tomorrow just to watch that "Bag scene" again Haha.  "Don't ask me and mine for nothing!"

Frederico Fellini

I've been thinking long and hard about the "Pre-KKK guys" scene all day. Not only because it's a fucking hilarious scene, but because when I was sitting in the theatre I thought the piece of music QT uses to introduce them sounded extremely familiar. But I couldn't quite remember where I'd heard it before... And then, it hit me:

modage

Quote from: modage on January 02, 2013, 04:11:39 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on December 31, 2012, 04:49:41 PM
I watched this again yesterday and now I think I love it.
I'm gonna give this a second chance on Friday but if its still one of his weaker films, you owe me $12.
I saw this a second time tonight and honestly really went into it just wanting to have fun because everyone but me seems to really just be having a great time with it but instead felt trapped in my own head for half the movie trying to figure out why it doesn't work better than it does. So, I felt exactly the same about it. It's not a bad movie, it's got some great parts but to anyone who doesn't think this is one of QT's weakest efforts with some MAJOR missteps throughout, I WILL FIGHT YOU.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

i seem to be in the same boat. everyone i know loves this except me. and i feel my reasons for not loving are valid so i've had to have quite a few long winded discussions about it.

just wish everyone would see movies the same way david edelstein and i do.  :yabbse-undecided:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

HeywoodRFloyd

Anyone else notice that James Remar plays two different characters in the film?

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: Reelist on December 27, 2012, 12:00:00 PM

The loudest and longest laugh it got in that screening was the first dick shooting, because I was watching this movie with children ( yes, there were goo goo, ga ga's at this show. HOW DO YOU BRING A KID TO THIS FUCKING MOVIE?!?! ) I feel like that got such a huge reaction that when Django shoots Billy Crash in his dick it didn't have the same impact, there shoulda just been one dick shooting.

Actually, there were 3 dick shootings.  First was the snowman, then the naked dude, then finally Billy Crash.

Just like PTA shows the shot of a ship's wake 3 times in "The Master" and just like Kubrick shows the Alien Monolith 3 times in "2001"..... A dick getting blown off is Tarantino's monolith.  :)

BB

Quote from: Freddie on January 06, 2013, 10:20:34 AM
...just like Kubrick shows the Alien Monolith 3 times in "2001"

For some reason, many people are mistaken about this. The monolith is shown four times: the apes, the moon, floating through space preceding the Stargate sequence (which is the one everybody seems to forget), and the end when Bowman is on his deathbed.

As for DU, it lands squarely in the middle of the Tarantino oeuvre for me. Below his 90s output and Kill Bill 1, above the rest. Found it mostly entertaining. A little purple and overwritten (though much less so than IB). Distractingly bad editing at points (you can see how much his earlier stuff really depended on Sally Menke's judiciousness). But overall, pretty good. Much like everybody who kinda, sorta doesn't like Tarantino maybe, I enjoy being proven wrong.