Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins on October 18, 2018, 03:01:16 PM
i clicked to see Get Out at #1 and there it was. i'm glad to see Drag Me to Hell on the list but really it should have been higher. and it seems like my bad that i never saw WWZ.

The 20 Best Horror Films of the Last 20 Years

1. Get Out (2017)
2. Audition (1999)
3. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
4. The Sixth Sense (1999)
5. What Lies Beneath (2000)
6. Hostel: Part II (2007)
7. World War Z (2013)
8. Hereditary (2018)
9. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
10.  Insidious (2010)
11. Ringu (1998)
12. Planet Terror (20070
13. A Quiet Place (2018)
14. Let Me In (2010)
15. The Descent (2005)
16. Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)
17. The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) (2011)
18. The Witch (2015)
19. Drag Me to Hell (2009)
20. The Babadook (2014)

I feel like most of the films on that top 20 list at least have a case to be made, but including What Lies Beneath and World War Z is nutso. In a world where It Follows and Martyrs exist, no less.
My house, my rules, my coffee

BB

Finally caught up with John Carpenter's Christine. How come nobody talks about it? Genuinely, a masterpiece. I've always liked Carpenter, but holy cow. Wringing a really fun, entertaining, and tense movie out of that premise should warrant an Academy Award. It's a lesson in what directing actually is.

Sleepless

Yeah this was great

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

I know I'm at least a week late for this and that I never post and that there isn't much activity here these days, but I thought I'd drop my 31 movies from October list in here.
I actually got 32 seen (also loving Haunting of Hill House)

1.The Shining 1980
★★★★★

2.The Exorcist 1973
★★★★½

3.Dawn of the Dead 1978
★★★★

4.Scream 1996
★★★★

5.The Fog 1980
★★★½

6.Trick 'r Treat 2007

7.Let Me In 2010
★★★½

8.Creepshow 1982
★★★½

9.The Mist 2007
★★★½

10.The Children 1980
★★★

11.The Raven 1935

12.Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight 1995
★★★½

13.Re-Animator 1985
★★★

14.It Follows 2014
★★★½

15.Day of the Dead 1985
★★★

16.Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives 1986
★★★½

17.28 Days Later 2002
★★★

18.28 Weeks Later 2007
★★★

19.The Return of the Living Dead 1985
★★★

20.Halloween 2018
★★★

21.Terrified 2017
★★★

22.Chopping Mall 1986
★★

23.Hellraiser 1987

24.Psycho II 1983
★★½

25.Oculus 2013
★★½

26.Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954
★★½

27.Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 1989
★★

28.Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 1988
★½

29.Dementia 1955
★★½

30.Poltergeist II: The Other Side 1986
★★

31.Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday 1993
★½

32.Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh 1995

WorldForgot

It Followz rates higher than The Return of the Living Dead and Chopping Mall? And Hellraiser gets no starz! Scary ~
O_O

jenkins

it's another wilder reply that's tough to follow. wilder already said everything. i'm referring to Cam, which i watched.

then i put on The Bad Batch, which i've been afraid of, thinking it might suck. but thankfully i think everyone who didn't like it was wrong or at least misguided. really i think the world is fucked if that's a hard movie to like. i admit that i didn't finish the last 25mins, but that was related to practical difficulties, and there was no way the movie could have soured itself.

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on November 21, 2018, 03:49:10 PM

really i think the world is fucked if that's a hard movie to like. i admit that i didn't finish the last 25mins, but that was related to practical difficulties, and there was no way the movie could have soured itself.

Idk, a lot of the people who I know don't like it are coming from a sort of altruistic-cinema-gramma stand point. I.e., a movie should not be "vague" if it's going to make "political commentary" etc, that's their feeling on it. I think the world IS fucked up, but that movie was just a bit too much Amirpour vibe than sensationalism, yeah her trying to evoke a parallel america without full cariacature, that irks a sensibility that has to also hear that Keanu monologue. I like that she thinks movies are feeling, I agree with her. But also there are people who shush'd my laughter at The Favourite, so idk, you know. The Bad Batch is definitely not aiming at any sort of appeal.

Alethia

I still haven't seen any of her stuff - read an interview with her some years back where she went on about Citizen Kane being "boring" and something something anyone who disagrees is faking and my eyes still haven't unrolled themselves enough to summon any interest in her. Perhaps I should get over it.

BB

Messiah of Evil. Holy smokes. Hadn't heard of it until Gloria Katz died a few weeks ago and a bunch of people started buzzing about it online. Kinda clumsy and student-y at points but to great dreamy, psychedelic effect overall. Few classic, old school set pieces. Dope low budget production design by a young Jack Fisk.  It wasn't anything like a Jean Rollin movie really, but reminded me of a Jean Rollin movie for some reason.

jenkins

It's whats playing when woody Allen visits la in Annie Hall (marquee)

polkablues

I loved the first Wolf Creek movie. Loved it. A simple story, well-told. Brutal and efficient. And one of the most memorable villains in recent memory.

I HATED the sequel. I can't remember the last movie I had such a visceral negative reaction to. It took everything effective about the original and replaced it with ham-fisted plotting, sophomoric humor, and it reduced John Jarratt's iconic character to an obnoxious cartoon. It was so bad.

So obviously I approached the first season of the Wolf Creek television series with some trepidation. Part of what made Wolf Creek 2 fall flat was its episodic structure, which undercut any sense of connection with its characters and made it feel more like a series of random vignettes than a story. Would a six-episode television season fall victim to the same approach?

Spoiler: No, it did not. It's so damn good. It is, in fact, the best version of Wolf Creek to date (although I haven't seen the second season of the series yet, which is another self-contained story following a different set of characters). They did the smartest thing they could possibly do, which is to NOT focus it on Jarratt's villain, but to create a compelling protagonist and give her a massively satisfying character arc as they spend six episodes circling each other's orbits until it all comes to a head in a cathartic climax. Lucy Fry gives a fully committed performance, and is a primary factor in the success of this season. Despite the fact it was made for television, there is nothing held back in the graphic violence department, and somehow they always manage to keep the stakes high enough that the brutality always feels earned and impactful, never gratuitous.

It's currently available to stream with a Shudder subscription, and I highly recommend it. I'm hoping the second season shows up on there soon, because I'm ready for more.

polkablues

I'll say it plainly: this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I had high hopes initially, knowing nothing about it except that it was made by the director of "Cold Hell," one of my favorite horror/thrillers of the past few years. This movie was so bad it makes me question whether my opinion of that movie is off-base, because how could a filmmaker who's capable of making the film that I remembered liking so much, that did so many things right, make a follow-up that so completely misses the mark, that makes every conceivable wrong choice, that is so monumentally dumb in every respect?

The story is trite garbage, sloppily told. The acting, with the exceptions of Natalie Dormer, who was fine, and Stanley Tucci, who is always great and I have to assume he was in this film as part of some sort of ransom demand, is ATROCIOUS. I'm a long-time proponent of the idea that character "likability" is an unnecessary and often detrimental goal, but there has to be some way for the audience to latch onto the characters, to empathize with them, and the universally unpleasant, smarmy chuds that this film passes off as protagonists completely fail that test. You'll find yourself wanting to root for the bad guy -- if nothing else because you're suffering from the shakes of charisma withdrawal by the time he finally shows up -- but then you find he's so poorly written and unintelligibly motivated that you couldn't even if you tried.

This movie is such shit, you guys.

On the plus side, if you still want to see a recent movie in which a zombie apocalypse has turned the majority of people into animalistic killers and the last remnants of humanity hide in military bunkers while they try to figure out and reverse the cause of the outbreak with the help of a character who is mysteriously halfway between human and zombie, but you'd prefer to see one that doesn't make you PHYSICALLY ANGRY at how terrible it is, "The Girl With All The Gifts" is the movie for you. Two thumbs up.

polkablues

https://youtu.be/q57D6kF5B1k

This shit is my jam. Fucked up in all the right ways. Flips the entire story on its head at least four times throughout the duration. No extremity is safe.

Jeremy Blackman

I actually revived my Netflix subscription to watch this because it was recommended so highly. And it's good! Maybe a bit sillier than I expected.

Mild spoiler: There's a glorious sequence that begins on a bus, and that is worth the price of admission alone.

polkablues

I was actively exhilarated by the end of that sequence. So good.