good movies too "proper" for you to dig

Started by pete, June 16, 2005, 01:50:55 AM

jtm

Gamblour.

Yes, and let's all remember that.

Citizen Kane was an innovation in cinema. You saying we should ignore that because things have improved upon it is like ignoring the radio because now we have the television.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

Is that you in your avatar, jtm? I don't trust ya.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Jay Tee Emregarding Citizen Cane, i've never understood why it's considered the greatest movie of all time.  sure it's definitely a great movie, but i think people who say it's "the best" are just basing that on it's tremendous influence towards film and film technique.  many people have taken what Orson Wells's started, and improved upon it ten fold..... same deal with The Beatles.

i also agree that you dont know anything
...your excuses are your own...

w/o horse

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkYou saying we should ignore that because things have improved upon it is like ignoring the radio because now we have the television.

No it's not.  That comparison is absurd, tried, unfitting, and kind of cute.  I wish to subscribe your audacious analogies newsletter.

I personally don't think Citizen Kane has been bettered.  I think the deep focus photography is still remarkable, that any movie which has tried to clone the narrative technique has not furthered the process but only come off as derivative, that the story is just as compelling and epic as ever, that the actors in it are terrific and that Orson Welles has a presence which is simply unrivaled, that the boldness of the movie still gets through, that the movie makes love to celluloid, and that there isn't an American film which deserves to be placed above Citizen Kane.  

Or hell, it's at least a knock around the block, you know.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Losing the Horse:
Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkYou saying we should ignore that because things have improved upon it is like ignoring the radio because now we have the television.

No it's not.  That comparison is absurd, tried, unfitting, and kind of cute.  I wish to subscribe your audacious analogies newsletter.

If you know anything about the history of radio as entertainment, then it's only kind of absurd, not so tried, kinda fitting, and still kind of cute.

You know, analogies off the top of your head can only be so apt. How bout "....is like ignoring the telegraph because we have the telephone." Satisfied?

(i'm going to pretend you've already replied with a 'negative')

Anyhow, I don't really give a shit. For god sakes, are you reading what JTM is saying?
WWPTAD?

w/o horse

Oh ho ho, I was equally appalled I can assure you.  In my last post you can read my heavy handed, flat, tiresome, and long winded defense of Citizen Kane.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

jtm

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkYes, and let's all remember that.

Citizen Kane was an innovation in cinema. You saying we should ignore that because things have improved upon it is like ignoring the radio because now we have the television.

where in my post did i say we should ignore it's innovation in cinema?...  i simply stated why i think it's considered "the greatest movie" of all time.

and for those of you who don't agree with me, please enlighten me as to why it's the best movie ever.

w/o horse

Too late.

Quote from: Losing the Horse:I personally don't think Citizen Kane has been bettered.  I think the deep focus photography is still remarkable, that any movie which has tried to clone the narrative technique has not furthered the process but only come off as derivative, that the story is just as compelling and epic as ever, that the actors in it are terrific and that Orson Welles has a presence which is simply unrivaled, that the boldness of the movie still gets through, that the movie makes love to celluloid, and that there isn't an American film which deserves to be placed above Citizen Kane.

jtm

fair enough, but i was speaking to Gamblor who clearly misunderstood the intentions of my post.  maybe Citizen Kane is the best movie of all time, but i personally don't think so and was just saying why i think it's considered so.... i do applaud you for at least giving me an explanation as to why you believe it, as opposed to just some smart ass remark not backing up ur opinion.  that's far too rare around here.

jtm

ya know, i've pretty much come to the conclusion that i'm not much of an Internet guy.  i've been a member of this community since the PTA board day's and have a lot of fond memories of this place, but the truth is, i just don't come off as well on a message board as i do in the real world... i'm sure if i met you guys on the outside we would get along famously but this ain't the real world. far from it....so i feel it's time to move on and focus on getting "my dream" of being a filmmaker on it's way without this distraction of other people opinions getting in my way and bringing me down. sure, opinions are healthy, but as i've said before, i find myself, most often, misunderstood either by my own fault or not... this thread is not the reason for it mind you (i feel i should underline that cause i'm sure some of ya will think it is but whatevs ) but it was the catalyst for this decision.  i took a year break from here for the same reasons and just started posting again a few months ago,  and had hoped i was over it but i'm just noticing the same problem again and again..... this is the only board i've ever posted at and i have learned a lot from reading here and will never regret having found this place..... hell, Atticus Jones's posts alone made it worth visiting.  i have no hard feelings against anyone here (well, actually, just a couple people) and just feel it's time to move on.... a big shout out to the following people who stick out in my mind as making this place something special.....

MacGuffin (the greatest thing this site has ever seen, thanks abunch for giving us all the news that's fit to read without asking anything in return.  this place revolves around you)

Jeremy Blackman (an all around good guy)

Ghostboy (i bought ur short film and feel bad about never getting around to reviewing it.  if there's anyone here who will make it, it's you)

Pubrick (ur insults always put a smile on my face whether they were directed at me or not. u some funny shit)

Atticus Jones (my reason for being here.  looking forward to ur next, and so on)

Regular Karate (i always felt a strange connection to ur posts and really related to u in some strange way.)

Picolas (always fair)

Sigur (nicest guy here)

...i'm forgetting some people i know but oh well...

so, anyways, i love you all and hope all of you become whatever it is you desire.

JTM signing off...

Gamblour.

I'll be blunt and say I only think it's the greatest movie of all time, because that's the general consensus. I understand what everyone (being historians and Roger Ebert and others) means when they describe why it's the greatest film. I think they're all right. Why should I repeat what's been said millions of times? Call me ignorant, call me lazy, but I think I trust their opinions enough to believe them. They know more than me. It would be like visually defending 2001...

Well...erm, nevermind. See ya.
WWPTAD?

NEON MERCURY

jay tee em-

take it easy and good luck w/ future enderavors
...we all need to hang out and drink some where....

Pubrick

Quote from: Jay Tee EmCitizen Cane,
Orson Wells's
INVALIDATED

nah just kiddin witcha, my only regret is that ur not Brazoilange.. latt!
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Hmm. Strange. That post of his made me realize I don't really add much to xixax. Good thing I'll be leaving for a while, too.
WWPTAD?