re-score that film or i'll fuckin' kill myself

Started by socketlevel, June 01, 2005, 12:07:35 PM

socketlevel

When i started the other thread "... the days were golden" i started thinking back on films that just suck balls now.  so i seperated these into two catagories: ones that just simply suck serious balls and others that arn't as good as i remember; and ones that could be fixed.  with the first kind, for instance, i really liked the movie "lean on me" (with morgan freeman) when i was younger, and now it's just contrived.  however it's not bad enough to say that i'm ashamed of it.  so i started thinking about why I dislike it now.  it's the acting and cinematography, they're just that sub par eighties style.  

Then it dawned on me that so many eighties movies could be better if certain elements were different.  now with acting and cinematography nothing can be done, it's all captured.  however the sound and music could be touched up or replaced altogether.   some films just need a new soundtrack.  Mainly cause in the eighties they over used the synth.

i'm trying to think of all the eighties movies (and films in general) that if re-scored would actually be alright, but as they stand the score totally fuckin' ruins the experience (or at least noticeably hurts it).  and i'm not saying change the classics, like star wars, where we actually love those films and how lucas raped our childhoods with the new versions.  only films that this process would make a difference and save it altogether.

this is what i came up with:

1.  Ladyhawk
2.  Romancing the Stone
3.  Manhunter (the all time worst score, and if redone, would make it an all time classic)

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: socketlevel
3.  Manhunter (the all time worst score, and if redone, would make it an all time classic)

-sl-

I remember thinking this as well when i first viewed it years ago. If i remember correctly it reeked of miami vice 80s snyth. Just made the film incredibley dated and unaffective.

however the Iron Butterfly sequence is great.
...your excuses are your own...

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

Quote from: SleuthEternal Sunshine

boooooooooooo

Gamblour.

Frakenstein's score sucks. Basically, any mickey-mousing score sucks. Star Wars prequels come to mind.
WWPTAD?

lamas

i wouldn't say the score RUINS the experience since i still love the film, but Midnight Express is too synthesizered up.

modage

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkFrakenstein's score sucks.
besides the credits, Frankenstein doesnt have a score.   :saywhat:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Last Temptation of Christ

Sin City

High Noon
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

Quote from: Fuck.Last Temptation of Christ

I don't remember how it fit with the film, but I have listened to this CD so many times.

RegularKarate

you've got to be shitting me

meatball

Quote from: Fuck.Sin City

you've got to be shitting me.

cowboykurtis

i thought the music in sin city was the weakest part - - sounded like temp track music - Much respect to Rob Rod for wearing many hats, but he should take off the music hat....and the cowboy hat....and the leather jacket with flames on it.

Gabe

Quote from: RegularKarate

you've got to be shitting me

I don't like it with the film, But I am probably shitting you too tho.