the best anti-war songs

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 15, 2003, 06:51:27 PM

OmegaSlacker

Springsteen's Born in the USA and CCR's Fortunate Son.   Bob Dylan also did a good one called Masters of War, which Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready covered.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Cecil

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanhttp://polsong.gcal.ac.uk/Research/antiwar/anti-war.htm

they dont have any pink floyd. "the final cut" is an entire anti-war album

godardian

"Love Vigilantes" - New Order

"Levi Stubb's Tears" - Billy Bragg

...not bombastic or obvious, but more effective for that in bringing the anti-war message home. Those two are the ones that come to my mind first.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cecil b. dementedthey dont have any pink floyd. "the final cut" is an entire anti-war album

Well I think it's pretty much stuff that came out in the last few months. Some of it's pretty good, some of it's pretty bad, but it's all interesting. The best recent [obvious] anti-war song I've heard is REM's "The Final Straw"... (and even that is just good, not particularily great)...

Although I still think much of Hail to the Thief is anti-war... in a perfect Radiohead kind of way...

Sick Boy

Quote from: OmegaSlackerBob Dylan also did a good one called Masters of War.

Masters of War
by Bob Dylan

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Teddy

"Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

chainsmoking insomniac

BOOM!- System of a Down........fucking rocks your socks off baby  8)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

And straying off the topic for just a sec....the best anti-consumerism, anti-materialism song (not that there are many lol): Chic 'N Stu-System again  :P
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Just Withnail

It was more than mentioned, but Masters of War is the fuckin best anti war song ever made. Listen to it now. Seriously.

godardian

"Off Duty Trip" - The Raincoats
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Mesh

"One" - Metallica

"Disposable Heroes" - Metallica

OK, OK, neither of those holds a candle to the best Dylan protest songs.

But they are metal.

:twisted:

godardian

"I Love a Man in Uniform" - Gang of Four (and lots of their other songs, too- that's just my favorite).

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian"I Love a Man in Uniform" - Gang of Four (and lots of their other songs, too- that's just my favorite).

You must be joking, oh man, you must be joking.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

no godard is not kidding, that whole man in uniform thing is legit .

He once sent me a private message where he went in great detail how hewanted to get it hot and nasty with cliff claivin from cheers

the letter was 7 pages long and it contained the phrase

" Go postal on my ass , mail boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

that was some very fucked up shit