Letters

Started by Ghostboy, February 04, 2005, 09:24:00 PM

Ghostboy

Because critical thought can be considered art, I thought I'd post this here.

Occasional poster The Silver Bullet and I have been, as an extension of our filmmaking blogs, publishing online a series of exchanges on various idealogies and concepts, both broad and personal, regarding (of course) film.

Hopefully, the ideas discussed therein may be interesting to other filmmakers or anyone interested in serious discussion of cinema (and hopefully it doesn't come across too pretentious/boring/navel-gazing/etc).

The latest installment is here. It's predecessor is here.

ono

I came across hints of this on The Silver Bullet's blog a while back and am glad to finally see it come to fruition.  I was working on posting my own manifesto of sorts a while back but it just kept getting and bigger and I never finished it.  Good to see I'm not alone, and that there are others thinking about this stuff.  Can't read it all now, but it's really nice to know it's there.

The Silver Bullet

Just to reiterate Ghostboy's hopes that the letters don't come across as "pretentious/boring/navel-gazing," the last thing we set out to do was big-deal ourselves. The whole point of the letter-writing project is to try and work out where we're coming from, where we're going, and how we might go about getting there. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hopefully they might be of some worth to someone out there!
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ghostboy

Not sure if anyone read the previous installments, but if by chance you did, and you enjoyed them, I'm pleased to offer more of the same: another volume of these exchanges are now online.

Topics this time include audiences and distribution...

xerxes

Quite an interesting read, as always.

I wish I could think as critically as you two.

On a side note: I thought The Best Of Youth was Italian.  Am I not thinking of the same film?

Ghostboy

It is Italian - Matt had to correct me on that one. I don't know why I said Russian.

I didn't think I could think critically until I actually tried - and then I sort of got hooked on it.

xerxes

Quote from: GhostboyIt is Italian - Matt had to correct me on that one. I don't know why I said Russian.

Ah so he did.  I hadn't gotten through the last couple emails before I posted. Anyway, regardless of where it is from I am very eager to see it.

Quote from: GhostboyI didn't think I could think critically until I actually tried - and then I sort of got hooked on it

I try to think critically, but I don't trust my critically reactions nearly as much as my emotional reactions.  Or maybe it's that it's that I find it hard to form coherent arguments to support my emotional response to films and so I chose to just stick with the emotional realm. Anyway, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this so I shall stop.