Barbet Schroeder

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2004, 11:00:15 PM

MacGuffin

Schroeder Helming Vincent Cassel Two-Parter
Source: Variety

Barbet Schroeder is returning to France to direct the UGC-financed The Death Instinct and The Public Enemy, a $40 million-$45 million two-parter based on the true story of Jacques Mesrine, France's public enemy No. 1 during the 1970s.

Variety reports that Vincent Cassel will play Mesrine in the project. Alain Delon will make a guest appearance as Mesrine's criminal mentor. Sandrine Bonnaire and Ludivine Saigner play two of the women in Mesrine's life. Gerard Lanvin and Benoit Magimel are in advanced talks for roles in the film.

The trade says that the Mesrine legend lives on in France, more than 20 years after he was gunned down by police on the edge of Paris. A thorn in the side of law enforcement for nearly two decades, Mesrine robbed banks (sometimes two a day), staged high-profile and lucrative kidnappings and escaped from prison at least twice. On one occasion he broke out of a courtroom by taking the judge hostage. He is said to have killed 39 people.

The two films will shoot simultaneously starting early next year. The screenplay was written by Guillaume Laurant (Amelie).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Sounds good.

With the inclusion of Delon, should be dead fucking cool.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

this sounds pretty cool. i really liked Amelie, so i hope this is as good or better. sounds like a great story with all the crimes this guy did. I'm getting a George Clooney Out Of Sight feel with Vincent Cassel's character.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?