Started by moonshiner, March 13, 2003, 12:17:04 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: tremoloslothI'm going to have to go with Hussein on this one

I'm sticking with Tom Selleck...

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Fans of the Match Game will know Avery Schreiber:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

You are all so trivial. It's all looks, looks, looks...   When I heard this I was outraged but dealt with it by means of a cynical smirk. How fucking convenient, HBO, how fucking convenient.

Keener

I've only seen Platoon, JFK, and Natural Born Killers. Loved them all. I'd support his section.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

©brad

for the stone enthusiasts, i just found a great interview taken at Berkley from 1997. It's long but a great read. here's a couple of memorable quotes from it. you can read it here.

"I always get asked that question, What are your favorite movies? Which movies most influenced you? And my answer is, there are a few names of people that certainly stand out but to name them would hardly be fair to the huge body of work that I've seen that belongs to many different people. By that I mean that there's a tradition that I feel that we inherit on coming to the business. You could say the "auteur" theory is over-hyped; there are many talented people who work in the business. It's a mistake to get into this list-making. That's what critics do. They make "ten best" lists and unfortunately that's not always fair and it hurts people who deserve inclusion.

"Exactly. Everyone has different reactions. I've met people who will go to a movie that I can't stand and they say that they saw that movie ten times. There's something they like and identified in that movie, and I don't see it. Whereas the reverse is also true. So the movie critic thing is a dangerous thing because an opinion ... whose opinion is it? Consider the source. And also, how do we criticize a movie in terms of its achievement or acknowledge its objective? Do we say, "This movie, I may not agree with the objective, but this is what the objective is and the filmmakers are trying to do this." That would be an honest criticism, it seems to me. Not, "How disgusting, this is a terrible subject." Or, "No one should be allowed to see this." There's this censorship going on, and that's not genuine criticism.

How would you characterize your political philosophy?

The spur-of-the-moment answer would be that in political terms, what is important is that you lived a life. I would vote for the man who's lived life, who's done different occupations, who's been out in the real world and struggled to make a living, struggled to raise a family, struggled with life as it exists. So I'd vote for experience, honest experience. I always feel comfortable with those type of leaders and with the Roman political philosophy. I'm very worried about professional politicians such as Mr. Clinton or Richard Nixon, in a way. Although Nixon did have a career, it's true, he certainly was concerned more about politics. Political philosophy probably is just a base in experience. I think experience will teach you a combination of liberalism and conservatism. We have to be progressive and at the same time we have to retain values. We have to hold onto the past as we explore the future. It's a very delicate balance. That's the nature of existence. I don't believe in left or right. I don't believe in liberal or conservative. I believe in both. I was very influenced by Edmund Burke. He was very popular in school. So I'm not the dyed-in-the-wool liberal leftist that is painted by people who want to simplify and categorize me.

Keener

We all know Tarantino hated Stone's Natural Born Killers. Does anyone know what Stone had to say about Tarantino's reaction ?
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

cowboykurtis

does any one have the stone box set -- i know someone that wants to sell it to me -- brand new (sealed) for 50 bucks -- how are the commentary tracks?
...your excuses are your own...

Pedro

Quote from: cowboykurtisdoes any one have the stone box set -- i know someone that wants to sell it to me -- brand new (sealed) for 50 bucks -- how are the commentary tracks?
They're good.

©brad

Quote from: cowboykurtisdoes any one have the stone box set -- i know someone that wants to sell it to me -- brand new (sealed) for 50 bucks -- how are the commentary tracks?

very good. its worth the $. try amazon or ebay, you should be able to get one for cheap. if you don't want to buy the 10-disc one you can opt for the cheaper 6 disc, which has Any Given Sunday, JFK, Born on the Fourth of July, Natural Born Killers, Wall Street, and Oliver Stone's America, which is an interview with Oliver talking about all his films and stuff. I'd get the 10 disc if you have the cash.

Derek237

I have the set, the commentary's okay but it's surprising how sick I get of hearing Stone's voice. Don't expect a 'fun' commentary like on Evil Dead II or Vanilla Sky. It's just Stone droning on....and on.......and on.....and on.....

EDIT: and on.....

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI would buy that set, but I hate Any Given Sunday. Perhaps I can throw the disc away and replace it with something else? what other Stone movies are in similar cardboard cases?

i hate it too
...your excuses are your own...

modage

i just watched jfk for the first time and i thought it was very good.  so of all Oliver Stones flicks, i've previously seen...

-PLATOON
-WALL STREET
-BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY
-THE DOORS
-JFK
-NATURAL BORN KILLERS
-U TURN
-ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

JFK had the biggest name cast i've ever seen in a movie.

kevin costner
kevin bacon
tommy lee jones
laurie metcalf
gary oldman
michael rooker
sissy spacek
bryan doyle-murray
wayne knight
vincent d'onofrio
ed asner
jack lemmon
joe pesci
walter matthau
john candy
donald sutherland
john laroquette

all doing great work.  it was really interesting seeing who would pop up next in some small part.  i remember hearing a lot about this movie when it was released, but had not gotten around to seeing it until now.  really interesting stuff.  i had no idea the conspiracy was that apparent.  i'm not really an oliver stone fan, but this was one of my favorites of his.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02so of all Oliver Stones flicks, i've previously seen...
-PLATOON
-WALL STREET
-BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY
-THE DOORS
-JFK
-NATURAL BORN KILLERS
-U TURN
-ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

Run out and get "Talk Radio" and "Nixon" right now!!!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

should I?!? are they that good?!?  are they some of the better ones of his collection, or just so i can have seen them all?  if you're recommending them, i'll add them to my list now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.