Charlie Kaufman?

Started by Xeditor, January 22, 2003, 07:30:39 PM

Sleuth

I don't have any moeny left
I like to hug dogs

private witt

Quote from: socketlevel on January 20, 2005, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: private wittI like Charlie Rose but he can come across as kind of crazy and irritating.  I hate how he talks over people.  I would walk out on an interview if he did that to me.  But I'm not famous yet so maybe I wouldn't.  Kaufman is one Coen brothers looking mofo, however.   Hey, who loved Love Liza?  Jim O,Rourke?  Hell, yeah, baby!  No, seriously, why is Bill Murray so fucking sad?  How come chris Cunningham's dvd left out so much of his work? Is 21 grams the wieght of the soul or the amount of yea that Naiomi Watt's character does during the film?  I don't know these things and I need help.  I'm sick with curiosity.

charlie rose is the shit, most talk shows are plugs for film makers and you don't learn shit.  i like how he gets down to the beans and actually talks about good shit.  he know a fuck of a lot too.

jim o'rourke is the man.  simple nice music with some of the most fucked up lyrics you could hear.

-sl-

Yeah, I wish Bill Moyers had Charlie's job, though.  Bill Moyers is the best listener of all interviewers.  I once wrote a five page paper on Love Liza in which I quoted many a negative review of Love Liza and Jim O'Rourke's music.  I debunked every review flawlessly!
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

picolas

SO.
[size=9]c[/size]harlie kaufman came to vancouver to do a talk. i thought if there was any chance of meeting him afterwards i should get him a slice of key lime pie as a reference to adaptation.

i spent part of a day calling every listing under 'bakery' and 'pies' in the yellow pages. not one effing person in vancouver made key lime pies. so i had to settle for a key lime tart.

my friend took a picture of me with the tart while i wasn't looking.

when we got to the talk it became obvious there was no way we'd be able to give him the tart. it just wasn't that kind of venue/setup. he was carefully led in and out of the room.

it was a great talk despite the moderator doing far too much summing up of movies the audience already knew about and a couple of silly questions. but overall very inspiring.

i recorded most of the talk btw. missed the first few minutes and one (bad) question.

my friend had to leave early during the second talk and i just wanted to talk about kaufman so i left with him. we started walking down a large staircase and saw KAUFMAN standing outside the entrance getting directions. we looked at each other and BOOKED IT. we had no idea how much longer he'd be standing there.

on the way down some organizer was like "just don't run him over!"
"K."

i rushed up to him with a bunch of bags in my hands cause i hadn't finished the meal from earlier. i put them on the ground in front of him without saying a word and started unpacking the bag with the tart in it. for a second i thought there was a chance he would interpret this as vaguely threatening. like the worst assassination attempt ever or something.

my friend also managed to take this photo while neither of us were looking

i stood up with the tart doing a semi-bow and said "Mr. Kaufman, I'm sorry there are no key lime pies in all of Vancouver but you can have this tart."

he was amused but there was also this amazing, awkward, classically-kaufman beat where he didn't really want to accept the tart because it was another thing for him to carry. he already had something in his other hand. there was also an odd sense he didn't get the adaptation reference.. even though he MUST'VE. but after a second he's like "...okay. thanks." and walks off. i was thrilled.

THE END

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

i didn't get the reference.

but awesome story none the less. massive thanks to your friend and his trusty pocket camera, that last pic especially summarizes the story really well.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Quote from: P|/_ on October 06, 2009, 02:12:45 AM
i didn't get the reference.
haha.. maybe it's because i've seen adaptation so many times as well as recently. i'm hoping the next time he watches it it clicks and he's like "oh yeahhh."

©brad

hahahah. Awesome awesome awesome.

modage

We need more of these stories. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

hmm yeah i wonder who could supply them? such a person would have to be someone who gets the opportunity to meet famous ppl all the time, somewhere real cool like NYC or something.. yeah. not many of those around since samsong stopped working for TMZ.

also pic, i think his reticence to accept your tart might have been in part just regular common sense about accepting unsolicited food from strangers. especially for an OCD kinda guy. anyway, downloaded the recording but couldn't really hear much, tho it did seem like the moderator was kinda dumb, but that's what happens at these kinda things. so i hear.
under the paving stones.

modage

Haha, I know.  When I met Kaufman I wasted that opportunity for awkward key-lime by getting my Adaptation DVD signed (by a green sharpie).   :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

perfect Charlie Kaufman encounter. his face in the last pic kinda reads like he got it.

JG

haha, i just walked by john goodman like ten minutes ago and i was carrying chips and salsa and had my flip cam in my bag. i blew it!

picolas

Quote from: P|/_ on October 06, 2009, 09:35:03 AMalso pic, i think his reticence to accept your tart might have been in part just regular common sense about accepting unsolicited food from strangers. especially for an OCD kinda guy.
perhaps. it was still sealed, though.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Gamblour.

This story made my night. Way to take advantage of the opportunity. (I also don't get the reference, wait, is it what Cage orders at the diner with the waitress he fantasizes about?)

Love that last picture. Blow it up, frame it.
WWPTAD?