7. The Shining
6. Killer's Kiss
5. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Clockwork Orange
2. 2001
1. Dr. Strangelove
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

after re-reading most of this thread and discovering my ridiculous previous posts i suppose i'll throw out a real list

10. The Shining
9. Eyes Wide Shut (i really haven't seen this enough but from the praise it gets here it will probably makes its way onto the dvd shelf soon.)
8. Spartacus
7. Dr. Strangelove
6. Paths of Glory
5. Barry Lyndon
4. Full Metal Jacket
3. A Clockwork Orange
2. The Killing
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 04, 2006, 01:00:01 AM
rearraanged the order of the bottom 3:

10. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
8. Full Metal Jacket
7. The Shining
6. Killer's Kiss
5. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Clockwork Orange
2. 2001
1. Dr. Strangelove

Killer's Kiss BEFORE The Shining and FMJ? Barry Lyndon #10?? No Lolita???

I don't expect all these lists to be the same... but... could you explain this?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pozer

I'll explain it:  Worst. Kubrick list. Ever.
Not really EVER cause it doesn't have Clockwork as numero uno.

©brad

Quote from: Walrus on April 10, 2006, 01:59:43 PM
Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 04, 2006, 01:00:01 AM
rearraanged the order of the bottom 3:

10. Barry Lyndon
9. Spartacus
8. Full Metal Jacket
7. The Shining
6. Killer's Kiss
5. Paths of Glory
4. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Clockwork Orange
2. 2001
1. Dr. Strangelove

Killer's Kiss BEFORE The Shining and FMJ? Barry Lyndon #10?? No Lolita???

I don't expect all these lists to be the same... but... could you explain this?

my guess would be the following: he hasn't seen a kubrick flick.

Reinhold

i've seen them all.

i like them in this order. it's the order in which i liked viewing/writing about them for class.

i thought he totally raped the concept of nabokov's lolita and that the movie shouldn't have been made with the same title. spartacus should almost be off the list for the same reason, but it's a fucking incredible movie.

i put barry at the end because I didn't enjoy watching it as much as i enjoyed the other ones. i can't come up with a good reason for putting fmj and the killer's kiss in those spots in relation to each other other than i liked writing about it more than about fmj, but i do dig the killer's kiss a lot.

i don't feel the need to justify it past that.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 11, 2006, 10:10:37 PM
i thought he totally raped the concept of nabokov's lolita and that the movie shouldn't have been made with the same title. spartacus should almost be off the list for the same reason, but it's a fucking incredible movie.

That was part of the interpretation... The Shining AND A Clockwork Orange are on your list... both of which were very warped from their respective books. 
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

Quote from: Walrus on April 13, 2006, 08:14:35 PM
Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 11, 2006, 10:10:37 PM

That was part of the interpretation... The Shining AND A Clockwork Orange are on your list... both of which were very warped from their respective books. 

i think that the creative license he took with the shining is different from the re-writing he did with lolita.  it makes sense that somebody who's so concerned with the fallibility of men would change the emphasis from ghosts to mental sickness. it changes things significantly, but at least makes them more intriguing.

but lolita was changed so much that i felt like he took the basic action of the book, toned it down too much in order to please censors, added too much comic relief in order to distract audiences, and rearranged/omitted very intriguing aspects of the book to make it just a little too neat for my taste.

Pubrick

nabokov wrote the screenplay for lolita.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pubrick on April 15, 2006, 11:53:32 AM
nabokov wrote the screenplay for lolita.

that makes me look stupid, but it doesn't invalidate my reaction to the changes between the book and the movie.

it's not i that i think "books are always better than the movies that are based on them"... i accept that they're different ways of telling a story. in the case of telling this story, i thought that the novel did an infinitely better job than the movie(s).

Pubrick

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 15, 2006, 08:46:46 PM
in the case of telling this story, i thought that the novel did an infinitely better job than the movie(s).
yeah, i agree with that. in fact even kubrick would agree with you. i don't mean to make you look dumb again but he and nabokov DID lament their decision to tone down the story for the censors, but it was the only way they could make it. there was no way they could hav known that maybe in 10 years he could've made the film as explicit as it needed to be.

anyway, lolita is not his best, but you can't blame kubrick for it which is what you were doing. it's probably the most approval he ever received from an author on any adaptation (2001 book and movie were written simultaneously).

i think the bigger problem is that you've got 3 of his top 4 in your bottom 4, under one of his worst and bunched with one that could hardly be called a Kubrick film.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Ok.  My last top 10 was a joke having seen all of his movies and rewatching those that I had seen.  Let's try this whole top 10 thing again...

10 - Spartacus
9 - Lolita
8 - Paths of Glory
7 - A Clockwork Orange
6 - The Shining
5 - Barry Lyndon
4 - Full Metal Jacket
3 - Dr. Strangelove
2 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
1 - Eyes Wide Shut