Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

children with angels

Quote from: The Playlist on April 06, 2010, 03:31:31 PM
we swear to god, if Chris Tucker comes near this thing we might just have aneurysm.

Oh, and he most certainly will. He'll play the dad or a cop or something.

As for the original - I haven't seen it, but I do have an old vhs of it I've been meaning to watch: maybe this can serve as the excuse I've been waiting for! Pleased to you say it's genuinely fun, Matt, and not purely an early 90s curiosity.  
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

matt35mm

I love the movie!  It's actually based on the writer-director's Harvard short/thesis film, and was among the first to portray black kids who were into hip hop as nice, friendly, fun, complex, normal teenagers.  It was a very low-budget film and feels pretty raw at parts, but in a good way.  Some of the style and energy reminds me of Do The Right Thing.  It's actually more Spike Lee and not so much like "Fresh Prince of Bel Air."  It's also really funny.

It's not perfect--it's a bit clunkily paced at times, and the acting's not brilliant, if I remember correctly--but I think it's a good film and don't know why anybody would slam it like The Playlist did.  Perhaps they were too influenced by how crappy the sequels were.

tpfkabi

Quote from: matt35mm on April 07, 2010, 01:15:47 PM
:(

House Party is a good movie (95% positive on Rotten Tomatoes).  Ratner's remake will be terrible, sure, but why'd the Playlist have to shit on the original?

Wow, I had no idea the reviews were that positive. Maybe people just haven't dug hard enough to find the bad ones since it came out before RT was around?

I made myself watch HP4 on BET on day. It had that Marcus singer guy in it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

House Party is excellent! it's like the De La Soul of movies, just nice to watch and probably not all that clever but when everyone else was starting to go way into hardcore drugs and violence this movie just kept it real in a totally positive and harmless way.

then again i havn't seen it since i was a kid so maybe it's actually a piece of shit. but at least i've seen it! i don't know how anyone who grew up in the 90s could hav missed it, i thought it was a staple reference like Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
under the paving stones.

children with angels

Quote from: P on April 07, 2010, 03:10:26 PM
i don't know how anyone who grew up in the 90s could hav missed it, i thought it was a staple reference like Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Yeah, not sure how it passed me by - clearly I am a some sort of dweeb.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

tpfkabi

Quote from: children with angels on April 07, 2010, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: P on April 07, 2010, 03:10:26 PM
i don't know how anyone who grew up in the 90s could hav missed it, i thought it was a staple reference like Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Yeah, not sure how it passed me by - clearly I am a some sort of dweeb.

I certainly knew about it and Kid n Play - especially the famous leg holding dance move thing - but I've never seen the whole thing. Seen bits on cable I think.

I don't remember it being played as much as the Friday series have been.

MacGuffin

Fox To Remake Famed Schwarzenegger Pic
By MIKE FLEMING; Deadline Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox is going Commando again, setting David Ayer to write and direct a reboot of the 1985 film that became one of the building blocks that transformed Arnold Schwarzenegger from bodybuilder to superstar. Erwin Stoff and John Davis will produce the new version.

Ayer is the former Navy soldier who wrote Training Day and moved into directing with the dark dramas Harsh Times and Street Kings. He will put his own real-world spin on this original premise: a retired elite special forces operative sees his daughter kidnapped and is told she'll die unless he gets on a plane and kills the rival of a nasty exiled dictator. In the original, Schwarzenegger jumped off the plane before takeoff, and killed everyone involved in the kidnap plot, in a real beefcake turn that followed Terminator. Ayer's protagonist will be less brawny, but more skilled in covert tactics and weaponry. Hopefully the new version will hang onto some of the fun spirit of the original, the first of several film collaborations between Schwarzenegger and producer Joel Silver where they blew up everything in sight. Rae Dawn Chong played the flighty flight attendant who became the commando's reluctant accomplice, Dan Hedaya played the diabolical dictator, and a young Alyssa Milano played the kidnapped daughter.

It's the second big reboot of an Arnie action film for Fox. The studio has a July 9 release date on Predators, a new chapter of a franchise launched by Predator, the 1987 Schwarzenegger classic.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

read recently there is a 3D remake planned for wes craven's deadly friend.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ravi

^ Hey, Fred, remember that time blah blah blah insert recreated scene from Star Wars?

Stefen

Quote from: Ravi on May 17, 2011, 12:08:11 PM
^ Hey, Fred, remember that time blah blah blah insert recreated scene from Star Wars?

Haha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 28, 2008, 05:46:17 PM
Paramount fast-tracks 'Footloose'

Whyyyy did Craig Brewer decide to do this? He had such a good thing going with 'Hustle and Flow' and 'Black Snake Moan'. He was geared up to be the next Tarantino, way to ruin it with a fuckin' remake. Your ass better use the money to make something that'll really blow us away next time.

72teeth

Holy shit, that was him!? Anyone see it, any signs of him?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on November 25, 2011, 03:08:23 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on October 28, 2008, 05:46:17 PM
Paramount fast-tracks 'Footloose'
Whyyyy did Craig Brewer decide to do this? He had such a good thing going with 'Hustle and Flow' and 'Black Snake Moan'. He was geared up to be the next Tarantino, way to ruin it with a fuckin' remake. Your ass better use the money to make something that'll really blow us away next time.
Quote from: 72teeth on November 25, 2011, 03:11:06 PM
Holy shit, that was him!? Anyone see it, any signs of him?

No, but I'm listening to the Smodcast with him. He's got some 'splainin to do..