miscellaneous PTA homages

Started by Jeremy Blackman, December 08, 2003, 12:05:13 PM

Jeremy Blackman

We must have had a thread about this kind of thing at one time (I can't find one).

Here's one from Three Kings:

Redlum

Its weird. The amount of times I've watched TK's and never spotted that!

I think there was one in a Six Feet Under episode, it was along the lines of 'raining frogs' instead of 'cats and dogs'. Some Alan Ball, American Beauty Vs Magnolia screenplay, Oscar tribute.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mogwai

the "wise up" montage in austin powers - goldmember:

it didn't make the final cut which i don't understand. it's really good, funny and also touching. we see various close ups of the main characters sing a song and it's made just like the wise up scene in magnolia. here's a cap:

Banky

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWe must have had a thread about this kind of thing at one time (I can't find one).

Here's one from Three Kings:

can you explain?

mogwai

dirk diggler lived in torrance.

Banky

thats kind of a stretch dont you think?

TheVoiceOfNick

Dirk changed his name to Troy after the plot for Boogie Nights ended... he then went back home to Torrance and married a chick that looks a little like Rollergirl mixed with Amber Waves... they had kids and he bought a market... instead of using his sausage for his main business, he decided instead to clean stains caused by sausages.

Finn

I think the Austin Power homeage is the real stretch.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

prophet

QT and PTA, little white honda :)
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

bonanzataz

Quote from: SydneyI think the Austin Power homeage is the real stretch.

not at all. the whole joke is that they're making fun of magnolia. the reason they cut it out is probably because only dork pta fanboys would get it, and that's not the target austin powers audience.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

It's not a stretch. It's mentioned as an homage to "Magnolia" in the commentary track.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Quote from: MacGuffin

It's not a stretch. It's mentioned as an homage to "Magnolia" in the commentary track.
i think he's being sarcastic

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Duck Sauce

Peter North? best actor ever? I say yes