elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Redlum

Yeah. I'm so stupid for not listening to him sooner. I loved Miss Misery as soon as I heard it GWH but never looked any further. This sounds like a perfect mix. I know some people have criticised Figure 8 for being over-produced (well, in comparison with Either/Or) but I love both  styles equally. 'Angeles' and 'Son of Sam' were in my playlist constantly last month.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

i've been listening to Figure 8 a lot this week. i saw a Biography on Son of Sam, David Berkowitz and i led me back.
i really wonder what Elliott was trying to say with that song?

is that the final cover for the album?
i don't think Elliott would have approved that.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Finn

I was just thinking about Elliott Smith's death again...so tragic. I suppose everyone rules that his death was a suicide, since I never heard anything about it being something else (even though the coroner's report was in question). I think my favorite album of his was XO, but I also really like Figure 8. My favorite song from Either/Or is probably Alameda. Looking forward to his album in October.

RIP Elliott Smith
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

what's the link for that article, MacGuffin?
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopiowhat's the link for that article, MacGuffin?

I don't know or remember. The Los Angeles Times keeps articles up for about a week, then stores 'em the archives where you then have to pay to access them, which is why I copy and paste articles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: InsomniacI was just thinking about Elliott Smith's death again...so tragic. I suppose everyone rules that his death was a suicide, since I never heard anything about it being something else (even though the coroner's report was in question). I think my favorite album of his was XO, but I also really like Figure 8. My favorite song from Either/Or is probably Alameda. Looking forward to his album in October.

RIP Elliott Smith

i have exactly the same Elliott taste as you. a lot of people say Either/Or is their favorite, but i like X/O. Figure 8 is great. i like Either/Or a lot, but the second half kinda loses me a bit.......it's not bad, but just not as strong as the first.......i like Alameda and Pictures of Me a lot.

yesterday i made a mix CD and i put all of my Elliott non-album tracks on there. it has A Living Will, Angel in the Snow, Brand New Game and some b-sides. Brand New GAme is labeled as a Figure 8 demo, so that means some people have the complete demos for that album......anyone know how i can get that and/or what the other 2 songs i mentioned above are from?

modage

handful of b-sides here...

http://www.geocities.com/smithdownloads3/linkspage.html

either/or demos here...

http://www.sweetadeline.net/audio/

recently leaked 'jackpot' xo sessions here...

http://www.blamonet.com/vb/showthread.php?s=01c48f99b0a62b004070eb0dd14c5d0f&threadid=51510

i'm still looking for all the figure 8 sessions stuff on soulseek.  anyone wanting to help me out would be appreciated very greatly.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

oh, wow, that's awesome Mod!

i'm not sure what Angel in the Snow comes from, but it sounds like its from around the time of his self-titled album.
Some Song and No Name #6 are free downloads from Kill Rock Stars or Suicide Squeeze, i can't remember.

i'm downloading a song, Placeholder, from elliottsmith.com right now.

Finn

modage

the final Elliott Smith album has leaked, (although apparently an un-mastered version).  i dont know if its wrong to download it early, but for anyone who just cant wait, its out there....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

Quote from: themodernage02the final Elliott Smith album has leaked, (although apparently an un-mastered version).  i dont know if its wrong to download it early, but for anyone who just cant wait, its out there....
sexilicious.

tpfkabi

have you heard it yet?

i just got Roman Candle and the Pretty(Ugly Before) 7" today.
if the 7'' is any indication, (which of course it is) the album's going to be amazing......i've read that the version of A Distorted Reality on the full length has different lyrics and a different arrangement........its hard for to think that there could be a better version.

and the vinyl sounds tons better than what the mp3's did.

Finn

I really like his live recordings of Jealous Guy, Alameda, Walk Away Renee...man he was great!

tpfkabi

i finally got to listen to Roman Candle. it's pretty solid too, just a little short.

does anyone know anything about the Jackpot Sessions?

also, i was reading in his last interview that someone stole copies of his early sessions of Basement........now, i'm not talking about what has just leaked, this had to be first half of 2003 at least............have these surfaced anywhere?