Animal Kingdom [Sundance 10]

Started by modage, February 02, 2010, 01:29:43 PM

modage

Synopsis: The film stars the likes of Guy Pearce, Ben Mendelsohn, Joel Edgerton, Jacki Weaver, Luke Ford, Sullivan Stapleton and James Frecheville and centers on a 17 year old boy who must navigate his way between a crime-driven family and a cop who thinks he can save him.

Buzz: "Smart, compelling masterwork" with "Shakespearean qualities in its portrait of betrayal and paranoia." Comparisons being made to the works of Tarantino, Coppola and Scorsese.

Teaser:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I can see the Scorsese influence considering that trailer is basically a wannabe Scorsese scene.

Mild promise, but so hard to tell with a teaser like this.

©brad

Love the song choice. It could have been a lot better though.

Pubrick

haha i welcome the age when everyone outside this country will hav to start trying to distinguish between Joel Edgerton and Sam Worthington.

IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

new trai here.

^edit: same minute post, beat me by seconds. modge's is better.

modage

This was good.  Scariest Grandma Award goes to Jacki Weaver.

I Love a Magician

pretty solid. uneven in parts but the middle third is very good and builds nice momentum through the end. pope is one of the more detestable characters i've seen in a while.

abuck1220

i'm kinda surprised the grandma got nominated for an oscar. didn't think she really did a whole lot.

this was ok...a little boring. obviously don't have much to say about it.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: abuck1220 on February 11, 2011, 09:35:20 AM
i'm kinda surprised the grandma got nominated for an oscar. didn't think she really did a whole lot.

this was ok...a little boring. obviously don't have much to say about it.

SPOILERS
I think it really came down to the scene where she was blackmailing the corrupt police officer.  It was amazing to see her expression and calm attitude when she was justifying killing her own grandson to save her son from the penitentiary.  The conversation felt no different than when she was talking with a friend over coffee.  Before that, she was a somewhat sympathetic character.  Afterwards, you realized she is just as ruthless as Pope.  Short, but great scene. 

Mel

Uneven, still worth watching. There are some unusual characters, especially lead - we don't see such a passive main character very often. The film changes direction few times over the course. I was bit bored in the first half, but then second one did pay off. In many ways it feels like a debut and I would attribute some faults there.

Spoilers

Pope killing that girl was so unmotivated, that is was hard to watch/process. If it was my choice, violence in cinema should look more often like that - ugly and pointless.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...