Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

Alethia

Quote from: ®edlumThe last Fellini film that my rental service has is Satyricon

oh god..well, have fun with that (i HATED satyricon).......only fellini i have seen that has gotten a truly negative reaction out of me, others have been  good to great

Sanjuro

just watched la dolce vita... masterpiece alright, but there were times that i didnt know what he was driving at... or if he was endlessly pounding on the same idea over on over again... but of course filmmaking was amazing

on my initial viewing of 8 1/2 this is exactly how i felt too... then after watching it over and over, its fucking perfect ... i think i have to watch la dolce vita again on a better transfer than the crappy 20 bucks VHS i bought in amazon.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Sanjurojust watched la dolce vita... masterpiece alright, but there were times that i didnt know what he was driving at... or if he was endlessly pounding on the same idea over on over again... but of course filmmaking was amazing

on my initial viewing of 8 1/2 this is exactly how i felt too... then after watching it over and over, its fucking perfect ... i think i have to watch la dolce vita again on a better transfer than the crappy 20 bucks VHS i bought in amazon.

Why isn't this a Criterion disc yet?!!!  I've tried several times to sit down and watch it but the god-awful white subtitles get blended in with the background, a la Goldmember, and I can't concentrate.  Is there at least a VHS with yellow subtitles somewhere?  Otherwise, I'm going to have to wait for a Fellini retrospective (which isn't that hard to come by in New York) or for whoever is holding up the Criterion DVD up to get their act together before I can watch this film.  I'm dying to; 8 1/2 and Nights of Cabiria are two of the greatest films ever made.

MacGuffin

Quote from: hacksparrowWhy isn't this a Criterion disc yet?!!!

That famous culprit -- rights isues:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1663
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

CC won't ever get the rights to La Dolce Vita. I thinks it's Paramount, and there's supposed to be a dvd this year.

Just be happy you didn't get stuck with a brazilian black-market copy, with 1/3 of the subtitles missing or wrong, and the incorrect ratio of 1.85:1.

8 1/2's better anyway...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SoNowThenCC won't ever get the rights to La Dolce Vita. I thinks it's Paramount, and there's supposed to be a dvd this year.

Just be happy you didn't get stuck with a brazilian black-market copy, with 1/3 of the subtitles missing or wrong, and the incorrect ratio of 1.85:1.

OUCH!  :shock:  

Thanks for the info.  At least someone's going to put it out this year.

Ravi

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: SoNowThenCC won't ever get the rights to La Dolce Vita. I thinks it's Paramount, and there's supposed to be a dvd this year.

OUCH!  :shock:  

Thanks for the info.  At least someone's going to put it out this year.

I watched about 15 minutes of the VHS before I realized it was pan and scan and turned it off.

Quote from: RaviI watched about 15 minutes of the VHS before I realized it was pan and scan and turned it off.

xixaxer reaction.  i salute you.
context, context, context.

Redlum

I'm trying to get hold of that Italian 2 Disc of LDV - those caps were gorgeous. In my searching I found this piece of useless trivia.

QuoteThe film contributed the term "paparazzi" to the language. The term derives from Marcello's photographer friend Paparazzo.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

i read some biography on Fellini. it sounds like what you describe. it had sections for each of his films up through the 70's or so, i think. i've only seen 8 1/2 and The White Shiek so far. there was a picture in there from Juliet of the Spirits of the actress who plays the adultress in 8 1/2, Sandra Milo......boy, did she look hot........kinda makes me want to see it
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Oh she is. Actually, how Fellini describes the character in 8 1/2 (and Milo herself), is classic. To paraphrase, "a placid, big-assed broad -- the perfect mistress. Dumb and loyal."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

is she a main character in Juliet of the Spirits?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Yup, she plays Suzy the whore next door. And she also plays a whole bunch of Juliet's visions.

Her interview on the 8 1/2 dvd is I think one of the best Criterion's ever done. She's got this passion when she talks about Fellini, different from a film kinda passion, but she really loved him. I dunno if a lot of what she says is bullshit (she was apparently notorious for stretching their relationship), but it makes for a great listen.

Sanjuro

i felt she gave such an honest interview.  but of course you never know
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

modage

i just watched Variety Lights as the first part of my fellini week/month.   i liked it.  i dunno, even though it was sort of light, just everything i've seen of his i'm just interested in.  (which is mostly earlier stuff, so it'll be interesting to see what happens later when he gets weirder).  every movie he makes is just to find new ways to make Giulietta Masina miserable.  she does sad better than anyone else, and happy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.