An Evening With Kevin Smith

Started by A Fire Inside, January 07, 2004, 04:16:15 PM

A Fire Inside

Has anyone seen this?  It's a collection of like 4 different guest lectures that Kevin did at various colleges around the country.  Its one the funniest things I've ever seen, possibly rivaling his films.
If life gives you babies, make baby-aid

kotte

Do a search...you'll find a few threads about Kevin Smith.

ono

This is the only relevant thread, really: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1389&highlight=evening+kevin+smith  No harm discussing this DVD itself, IMO.

I have the DVD.  Bought it from Mac, here, actually.  (Thanks again, Mac.)  It was probably the funniest, most enjoyable three-plus hours I've spent in a long time.  Kevin Smith is such a great talker.  Loved the story of how he met his wife, his run-ins with Burton, his touch with a possible Superman film and the problems he experienced, etc.

kotte

Oh...I didn't know this was a stand-alone DVD.

It's in DVD Talk so I should have figured. :)

MacGuffin

You're welcome, Onomacguffintopoeia.

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaLoved the story of how he met his wife, his run-ins with Burton, his touch with a possible Superman film and the problems he experienced, etc.

Those stories are all so great and the best of the bunch, but how you forget about his talking about Prince? "Prince wears sneakers?"

Smith is just a natural storyteller. All his antedotes, and the way he tells them, just keep you riveted.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

yeah it is a really good dvd for any fan or any person in general, he discusses the magnolia incident 2 on the dvd

context, context, context.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Chuckhimselfo, I was thinking the same exact thing.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Rudie Obias

Quote from: chuckhimselfoDavey Havok is creepy...

no!  davey havok is a sex god!  not since morrissey has a rock star been so charming!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pubrick

is he the freak on AFI's av? if so, damn. almost made me avoid this thread.
under the paving stones.

kotte

Just got this...made me cry with laughter.

The people who asked him questions were fucking annoying.
"Can I suck your dick for 5 dollars?"...I mean what the hell?? Way to be creative. You get a chance to ask Kevin Smith a question and you ask him that...jeezes... :roll:

Loved the story on how he met his wife...that's sweet.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Bankyhe discusses the magnolia incident 2 on the dvd
There's a second one?

kotte

GoneSavage

I've been interested in seeing this for a while but too lazy to get it.  I want to see if he told the same stories at all his lectures as he did when I saw him speak at my school.  I hope that I'm wrong and it was always as seemingly off-the-cuff as it was with my experience.

El Duderino

i bought this a while ago from a friend for 5 bucks and it's seriously one of the funniest things i've seen. the story about how he met his wife is great. also, when he calls that guy's boss, asking for his job back....classic.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?