All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

Gold Trumpet

A lot of people are saying that All the Real Girls is a great and better movie than GW because it is more focused on a plot that is more alligned to a better thought out movie. I disagree completely. Green's talent in acquiring naturalism seems ill fated for a movie that can be easier alligned to a genre. One of the problems of ATRG is that is easy to assign to a known story and much of the story is known; its just that through its style and talent that the film achieves the feeling of love and heartbreak it is going for. Its just that so much of the story is known that instead of avvoiding much of it and digging deeper into the unkown like GW, it tells it story like we know it. All of the great qualities in naturalism in GW is repeated in ATRG and almost made to conveniances. The heavy use of funny and odd moments between characters; confessional scenes by minor characters that are big revelations onto who they are; focus on the minor moments. All these things when used for something like GW in a story harder to identify genre wise and more natural, really works. Its just with ATRG, the story seems more thought out in the process of movie making that these stylistic things which feel so natural come off as the worst possible thing for Green, just devices of his own style.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

This is mostly a shout out to Ebs...

It was late as hell last night. I had just finished the last two Decalogue episodes. Had to get up early and go to work, yet didn't feel like sleeping. Popped in All The Real Girls. Funny enough, on first viewing I had it in my top 10 all time, but even though I still love it, I don't think it places on my top 30 anymore. At any rate, an amazing film nonetheless. The one part that really struck me this time was when Paul and Zooey had their first long conversation in her room, and she asked him what he wanted, and his reply was something like "I just hope that we can meet each other in a million years and I can still see your face, and we have amazing things to say to each other".

Damn, that's...

just fucking perfect.

Did anybody notice the slight Herzog-ism in this flick? The whole small town lonely auto mechanic with a toothache gave me the old Stroszek feeling...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Myxo

So, I finally got this from Netflix and watched it last night.

I thought the whole thing was a little heavy handed and repetative. We got it. We got it. You can write dialogue where your characters say interesting things about why they are madly in love. So, what am I watching? Is there a story here that I'm supposed to be interested in? Because, I've seen this before.

Whats up with all the FI/FO? Is this some sort of experimental film project or something? I mean, if you are going to do something different, don't make it a distraction. All of those FI/FO were really distracting. I got the feeling that the director was like,

"Hey. I know how to make this film different. We could put in lots of FI/FO!"

- You mean like, to signal the end of an act, right?

"No man! We'll put them all over the place."

I donno guys. I wanted to like it. There was stuff that worked for me. Overall though, I felt like I was watching somebody making a student film right after breaking up with his girlfriend.

:?

tpfkabi

i don't have any intellectual thoughts to add, but i just bought it 2 weeks ago at Hasting's for $7.99........so if your Hasting's had a few copies to rent, you might check the Used DVD section.......oddly enough, at this store ATRG was in the Foreign section
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

Quote from: MyxomatosisOverall though, I felt like I was watching somebody making a student film right after breaking up with his girlfriend.

:?

Being a huge fan of the film, maybe that's part of the charm.  I never thought of it that way before, but it could be.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

matt35mm

So I normally don't really geek out too much over things like this, but I am currently visiting Asheville, NC, where this movie was shot, and I'm enjoying seeing the locations that I recognize.  A lot of it I can't really tell for sure, because the movie doesn't have a lot of easily identifiable locations.  But I definitely went to where the racetrack scene was filmed.  I want to go to the bowling alley.