Haute Tension

Started by Weak2ndAct, October 30, 2003, 04:08:17 AM

Weak2ndAct

Anyone else catch this French horror movie?  It's been making the festival rounds and Lions Gate is distributing.  In France, it's called 'Switchblade Romance.'  

This has to be one of the most violent movies I've seen in a long time (well, except maybe Kill Bill, but this is way smaller and more 'real').  The premise: a girl drives out to the country with her best friend, and they stay at the BF's family's home.  And in the middle of night, a serial-killer-of-sorts shows up and starts to slaughter everyone.  Yes, that's it.  There's 20 minutes of set-up and then 70 minutes of pure unadulterated violence/suspense.  And it just goes on and on.  The movie made me feel exhausted... but in a good way.

It's really well made and tense.  And for you Gaspar Noe fans, Phillipe Nahon (the lead in 'I Stand Alone,' and in the opening of 'Irreversible') is the silent killer.  I have serious mixed feelings about the last ten minutes, but I won't ruin anything for y'all.  That aside, if you like the gore, check this one out.