Justice League

Started by MacGuffin, August 22, 2007, 02:07:15 PM

MacGuffin

JLA Casting Update
Now hiring: new Batman and Superman.

It appears that Warner Bros. is moving ahead with their planned live-action Justice League of America movie, with casting reportedly set to commence shortly for an early 2008 start date.

According to Moviehole.net, "Brandon Routh and Christian Bale won't be starring as Superman and Batman, respectively, in the Justice League movie -- but they will both still be starring in the stand-alone Superman and Batman sequels. So don't fret fans, there will only be a new Bats and Supes for the team-up movie."

Bale informed IESB.net that he hasn't been approached about playing Batman in JLA, adding, "It'd be better if (JLA) doesn't tread on the toes of what we're doing, though I feel that it would be better if it comes out after Batman 3."

Moviehole also reported that a "casting director for the movie will be onboard next week and it's then that they'll be going after their tighted strongmen."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i know theres an emoticon for this, i'm just not sure what it is.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I think it would be hilarious if Bale and Routh (Bale especially) DID agree to be in the movie.

I'm both amazed and not surprised at all that this movie's going to get made.

MacGuffin

Slow Down Betty! Justice League to be a CGI/Mo Cap Film?!       
Source: IESB

We have just received an interesting email that indicates the Justice League of America film might be headed to the world of Motion Capture!

I wasn't sure about the validity of the email, so I went in search of some confirmation. I got it. I got confirmation from several sources from ILM to Rhythm and Hues that said the same thing. From what we are hearing, there may be some truth to this, but again, right now it's a rumor and we will post final confirmation if this is true or not when we have it.

This would also explain how The Dark Knight films would continue on, same goes for Superman.

Also, this explains the quick casting starting next week and the speedy production date of first quarter 2008. But, mo-cap films take a lot of time, so this may not be ready by Summer 2009 like a traditional film would be. Are we looking at Summer of 2010 or 2011? This would give time for the Batman and Superman sequels. Plus with George Miller's success with singing pigs and dancing penguins, It finally all makes sense! But who knows!

This would put our League of Superheroes in a world much like Paramount's Beowulf or Cameron's Avatar, where they could hire any actor they wanted and tweak and change them accordingly.

Here is the email with the information that was sent in and stay tuned as we expect to get more news shortly! Again, it's a rumor until we bring you final confirmation -

I'm in Europe on business right now, but managed to check my email (filled to the brim with spam of course) and noticed a very interesting message from a contact over at Sony Imageworks.

It seems that although they did cgi work on Superman Returns, there has been no talk of them coming back to work on the sequel. However, and take this with a grain of salt, Imageworks are apparently in the running to provide services on the JLA film, competing with R&H and possibly WETA (the latter being unconfirmed).

But the real interesting thing about this is that the contract is for an all-cgi "photo-real" motion capture movie, much like the upcoming Beowulf.

This is unsurprising, given George Miller's recent track record with the likes of Happy Feet, and motion capture cgi would certainly account for the casting sessions that are supposedly starting next week, meaning that Miller can cast actors rather than faces for the roles, use their performances and tweak things as he sees fit.

Now a real-looking cgi JLA does seem likely, but I wonder what will become of Man of Steel given that Imageworks won't be returning for that project. I know there were some rumblings within the company that Singer wasn't satisfied with their work on Returns and is looking elsewhere for the sequel (ILM would be my preferred choice...but can Singer afford them?) and with Spider-Man 4 on hold (another Imageworks project), a mo-cap JLA would become their only major project for the next few years.

I just wonder if JLA might end up being pushed back....these cgi films take a long time to make, and a photo-real cgi JLA movie is quite a big project.

I'll try to find out more when I get back to the States,

Jawa Juice
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

George Miller to lead 'Justice League'
WB moves ahead with bigscreen adaptation
Source: Variety

Warner Bros. is moving aggressively ahead with the bigscreen adaptation of DC Comics' "Justice League of America," with George Miller on board to direct.

Project, which is the initial phases of casting, is a pre-strike priority for the studio, which needs a superhero tentpole in 2009.

Still, making all the pieces fit has been complicated by overlapping superhero projects in the pipeline, since "Justice League" features a pantheon of superheroes, including Superman and Batman.

Batman and Superman are active properties for the studio, though the next installment in the Superman franchise has taken a backseat to "Justice League" in part because Warners is so keen on the "Justice League" script by Kieran and Michele Mulroney.

"Justice League" will likely feature the characters of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Aquaman.

Warners is in the preliminary phases of casting for "Justice League." Several sources close to the project said that Christian Bale, star of the revived Batman film franchise, and Brandon Routh, star of Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns," would probably not appear in the movie.

However, helmer Chris Nolan, current steward of the "Batman" franchise for the studio, would prefer that Warners delay "Justice League" until after he finishes "Batman" projects in development; Bale has also let his uneasiness about "Justice League" be known.

To work around these issues, the studio explored making "Justice League" as an animated film or with motion capture, but all indications are that the film will be special-effects driven live action.

The project is so complicated -- and casting dependent -- that even those deeply involved in the project are holding their breath until production begins.

"They're working very hard to get it to happen," said one party close to the project. "But there are so many characters it's complicated."

It was for this very reason that many believed Warners would move ahead first with a follow-up to Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns." Singer, however, is busy with Tom Cruise starrer "Valkyrie."

Miller has a warm relationship with Warners. He last helmed "Happy Feet," which generated $379 million worldwide box office for the studio.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jessica Biel in Talks for Justice League!
Source: Variety

Jessica Biel is in talks to play Wonder Woman in Warner Bros.' all-star superhero film Justice League of America, reports Variety.

The potential deal marks the first piece of casting to emerge from the DC Comics-based ensemble project, which is expected to feature Superman, Batman, the Flash and Aquaman in addition to Wonder Woman.

George Miller (Happy Feet) will direct the big screen adaptation. Kieran and Michele Mulroney wrote the script.

Biel is filming the indie drama Powder Blue, which wraps in October, opposite Forest Whitaker. She will then segue to A Woman of No Importance, based on the play by Oscar Wilde. That leaves room on the actress' schedule for "Justice League," which Warner is fast-tracking as a project before any potential strikes. However, the film's likelihood hinges on the studio's ability to assemble a cast of superheroes in a small window of time.

The trade says the studio declined comment, saying that it prefers to announce an entire cast rather than piecemeal deals.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

George Miller's involvement has certainly gotten me more interested in this movie than I would've been otherwise.

I like George.

MacGuffin

Biel Not Wonder Woman!
Reportedly passes on JLA role.

Seems like Warner Bros. and director George Miller are back to square one when it comes to casting their upcoming live-action Justice League of America movie. Just days after the news broke that she was in talks for the film comes word that Jessica Biel won't be playing Wonder Woman after all.

Entertainment Weekly reports that Biel has passed on the role of the Amazonian superhero. The hunt continues for the right actress to play the part. JLA is looking to go before cameras in early 2008.

In other casting buzz, IESB.net claims that "Clifford Joseph Harris Jr. aka T.I. (American Gangster, A.T.L.) has recently read for the role of Green Lantern/John Stewart."

T.I. plays the nephew of Denzel Washington's drug lord character Frank Lucas in the forthcoming Ridley Scott-directed American Gangster.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Adam Brody to play the Flash?
But Warner Bros., which has not confirmed, says 'Justice League' hasn't gotten a green light yet.
By Gina Piccalo, Los Angeles Times

Adam Brody has closed negotiations to play the Flash, the super-fast superhero in director George Miller's "Justice League of America," a source close to the deal said Tuesday. Warner Bros. Pictures, however, won't confirm the news, saying the film still hasn't been green-lighted.

The studio is expected to hold off on an announcement until all the roles are cast and a splashy news conference can herald the return of the beloved series. "Justice League of America" is one of Warner Bros.' highest-priority films right now, with an anticipated 2009 release.

Rampant speculation over which celebrities will don tights erupted almost immediately after Miller announced auditions for the leading roles in October, indicating that he wanted "actors who can grow into their super-roles."

Brody, best known as the heartthrob on "The O.C.," joins Australian supermodel Megan Gale, who was reportedly cast as Wonder Woman, apparently beating out Jessica Biel for the part.

Among the other young actors rumored to have been cast are "Friday Night Lights' " Scott Porter as Superman and "Wolf Creek's" Teresa Palmer as Talia al Ghul -- a recurring love interest for Batman. Common (a.k.a. John Stewart) was rumored to be playing the Green Lantern.

The film, which is based on the DC Universe comic first published in 1960, features a team of crime-fighting superheroes, including Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and Superman.

The movie opens with the funeral of Barry Allen, the second Flash, whose era dated from 1956 to 1986, according to Slashfilm.com. Brody plays his nephew, who, at age 10, was exposed to electrically charged chemicals while visiting his uncle's police laboratory. The boy donned his uncle's uniform to become a young crime fighter known as Kid Flash. As an adult, the Flash has superhuman reflexes that allow him to violate some laws of physics.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

No 'Justice' for Warners
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Warner Bros. has disbanded its "Justice League."

The George Miller-helmed project, featuring the DC Comics A-list superheroes in live-action flesh, has officially been grounded. The studio is citing script issues as the cause.

The feature was to have been a tentpole special effects extravaganza for Warners. Word leaked in the fall that the script, by Kieran Mulroney and Michele Mulroney, was good but that subsequent passes, including the latest by Miller, had pacing issues and took the project in directions the studio wasn't happy with. With the writers strike, the studio decided it was best to wait to iron out the problems.

Also adding to the woes were questions of tax-incentive qualifications in Australia, where Miller was prepping to shoot. The project's costs were escalating, and the script would need an overhaul if the movie didn't qualify for discounts.

The decision to put the project on hold now frees up the actors who had been cast in the roles of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Flash. D.J. Cotrona, Adam Brody, Anton Yelchin, Common, Teresa Palmer and Megan Gale had been cast in the movie in November, with their holding deals extended at least once as the studio tackled the script problems. The extensions expired Tuesday, after which a pay-or-play situation would have taken effect. The studio is not afraid of losing the actors because playing iconic superheroes in "Justice" is seen as a starmaking turn.

"Justice's" delay is considered good news for Christopher Nolan's camp. Nolan is in post on "The Dark Knight," the sequel to "Batman Begins," and is said to have been unhappy with the "Justice League" movie because its version of Batman (to have been played by Armie Hammier) clashed with his (Christian Bale). Nolan has been resisting directing a third "Batman" movie, though the studio would relish the possibility and could begin heavy courting.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

George Miller Officially Off Justice League
Source: Superhero Hype

Dark Horizons reports that filmmaker George Miller appeared on Sydney-based morning talk show "Sunrise" on Monday and confirmed he's no longer involved with the Justice League movie in any capacity.

Miller indicated that if the project does get going again, he expects that it'll be recast as "the studios seem to want bigger stars in their superhero movies now."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

This comic book movie fad is lasting alot longer than I thought it would. It's going on 10 years almost.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Ben Affleck On 'Justice League?' His Camp Says No
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

I've been reading a lot of stuff lately that has been of questionable substance, and I'm calling bullshit on this big Variety scoop today that implies Warner Bros will get Ben Affleck as director of its Justice League film. This is a story I checked out days ago, and didn't run when Affleck's reps stated that it was not going to happen with him. Now, it makes sense that Warner Bros would offer Affleck the project. Chris Nolan is top man over there, but after three Batfilms and after producing the Superman reboot Man of Steel, he's gotten spandex-clad protagonists out of his system. After Nolan, the studio then offers everything else to Harry Potter director David Yates (who is now keen on Tarzan) and Affleck, who has become a major director with Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and the upcoming Argo. Just because the studio wants Affleck doesn't mean he will do the movie, and several sources tell me he might take a meeting, but that's it.

After putting his acting career in the dumper with questionable choices like Gigli, Affleck admirably scripted a second act for himself with his writing and directing skills, and did it by taking on unexpected, thoughtful films. His reps clearly denied he would take this, and why would he want to direct a Justice League movie, unless he himself had figured out a way to make one that would compare favorably with Joss Whedon's billion dollar Marvel smash The Avengers? I don't see it. As my old agent/manager pal Michael Black used to say sometimes when I came at him breathlessly with an important but dubious package involving one of his clients, "Don't dress for that premiere, darling."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Exclusive : two other names on the Justice League director wish-list
Source: Moviehole

Warner Bros has a smallish list of directors they're talking to about "Justice League", the long-proposed superhero team-up movie (including new comic-book bed-buddies Superman and Wonder Woman! Can you believe that!? Way to sell a comic book to a woman though, DC!) that they've been planning since... well, George Miller couldn't get it going.

Ben Affleck's name is on that list, we know that. And we also know that Affleck's not every keen on doing the picture – sadly, he would've donated much gravitas to it. But Ben's too busy doing his own thing right now, putting together the kind of unique, original dramas that win filmmaker's Oscars.

That means one of the other names on the list will likely get the gig. Haven't seen the list, nor do I know all the names on it, but I've heard whisperings of two other names on the wish-list.

As most know, I'm now a partner in a global PR firm that specializes in event management and digital marketing of talent in-front-of and behind the camera. This bit of news came courtesy someone we've been working with – someone who would likely have a better chance at getting a glass to a door at WB than most of us. So here goes...

Lana and Andy Wachowski.

What I'm told is Warner Bros are apparently jazzed with "Cloud Atlas", and love that it's as much a spectacle as it is a showcase for the immense ensemble involved, so it makes sense the W's are under consideration. "Justice League" needs to be as big on character, as it does bells & whistles, and the Wachowski's could probably offer that.

The directing duo have also gave the studio one of their most successful film trilogies of all time, "The Matrix" trio (I won't mention "Speed Racer").

Quite a few reasons why WB would consider the directing duo a viable option for "Justice League", but would Lana and Andy even consider it? Hard to say. They definitely like to work at their own speed, and definitely like to do their 'own' thing as opposed to being merely one 'cog' in a venture, so I can't see them jumping through hoops to pull the strings on a 'we want it done now' large corporate statement like this. Still, exciting possibility nonetheless.

The Wachowski's have considered comic book films before (and they've done one of their better graphic novel cum film adaptations in "V for Vendetta"). They toyed with a "Plastic Man" movie for a while there, and it's rumoured they were in the running to do "Man of Steel" – or an incarnation of a 'Superman' reboot' – before the studio went with Zack Snyder. So the twosome definitely do shy away from men-in-tights movies.

(It'd also mean Hugo Weaving would be an easy score for one of the villains. Hmm.. wonder what he'd look like bald!?)

... though, personally, my vote is still with Ruben Fleischer.
"Justice League" is being written by "Gangster Squad" scribe Will Beale.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rumor: Joseph Gordon-Levitt Set to Play Batman in 2015′s JUSTICE LEAGUE, Maybe Even Earlier
Source: Collider

Justice League is coming in 2015, which is sooner than you think.  Just last year, Zack Snyder said his Superman movie Man of Steel has nothing to do with Justice League, and Batman curator Christopher Nolan has no plans to get involved.  With DC's two biggest superheroes on their own separate tracks, it was unclear just how and when Warner Bros. would start building up to Justice League over the next three years.  The answer may have come today in the form of the obvious: they already started.  Snyder now recognizes that the Superman you see in Man of Steel is almost certainly the same alien you will see in Justice League.  A new report suggests that you have already seen the new Batman, and he is Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

I apologize to those of you who are still waiting to see The Dark Knight Rises (specifically my brother), but we need to dive into TDKR spoilers here.

The last scene in the movie shows humble cop John Blake (Gordon-Levitt) inheriting the Batcave on a clear path to succeed Bruce Wayne as the new Batman now that the old Batman is "dead."  I buy that Nolan wanted this moment as a thematic capper to his trilogy  with no particular interest in setting up the future of the franchise.  But how could WB pass up this opportunity to directly tie the next iteration of Batman to Nolan's ultra-successful series?  So of course it makes sense that the studio would approach Gordon-Levitt about continuing the role after Dark Knight Rises, probably long before today.

The difference now is that, according to Motion/Captured, Gordon-Levitt is close to a deal that would lay out the long-term plan for JGL as Batman.  As per this August rumor, it's very possible that they'll wait until Justice League in 2015 to reintroduce Batman.  But M/C, after speaking to sources to put together the report, has reason to believe we will see Gordon-Levitt as Batman earlier than that.  From there, it's all speculation, and I'm sure you can picture it.  There is only one major DC feature between now and Justice League, and it's not that hard to shoot one of those post-credit scenes for Man of Steel where Superman gets a call on the Batphone from a mysterious figure who needs help against a powerful foe...

Too much heresay at this point, sadly.  Surely we will learn more concrete details on Justice League and the greater DC/WB partnership leading up to the June 2013 release of Man of Steel.

Skeleton FilmWorks