Blade: Trinity

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2004, 11:03:49 AM

Weak2ndAct

So I saw Blade Trinity tonight.  Let me preface by saying this: I really like the first two movies.  They're fun.

The final film in the trilogy is a train-wreck.  It's sad, b/c it becomes very apparent early on that Goyer just got in over his head, he doesn't have the chops to handle the action scenes, or create any kind of scope to the flick.  I'm still trying to figure out where exactly the climax took place, some building or whatever I dunno.  

So yeah, Parker Posey (who I can't tell if she's brilliant or awful in this-- depends on the scene) and pals resurrect Dracula so he can purify the bloodline and stuff, make the vampires stronger, but then... nothing really happens.  Drake, as his pals call him, just kind of shows up and makes trouble after that.  The opening act has a whole plotline about the cops wanting Blade, but that all get tossed and seems to be just a bad setup to introduce the Youngins'.  Ryan Reynolds' dialogue solely consists of one-liners and insults.  A few work.  Biel doesn't have much to do, even her hotttttttness is subdued.  Oh yeah, and Natasha Lyonne is a blind chick :?

There's not really much of a story here... God, was this horribly rushed or what?  I mean, not once in this flick did we get anything close to the nutiness of the Dorff/Snipes encounters from the first flick, or any of the crazy action from the second.  It's just disappointing.  I'm not expecting high art, just a good time... SIGH...

And oh yeah, vampire dogs!

SHAFTR

I liked Blade, it kind of lost me in the last act.
I really liked Blade 2, it was a lot of fun all the way through.

I was looking forward to Blade Trinity, but this is sad news.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Dtm115300

I saw Blade 3 last night; it was complete shit. lol

I don't think i would want to see a longer version of this film, even if  improvments are made. Not only were the performances bad, but even the camera work was pretty terrable. That girl was pretty hot tho. I think that was the only part of this film i enjoyed. If the directors cut contains more of that shower scene i might consider buying the dvd.

Slimepuppy

Personally, I thought the cinemtography, in parts, was gorgeous.
Let down by a poor script and a poor director.

I think Weak2ndAct pretty much hit the nail on the head.
The whole story has a distinct whiff of "who cares". There is no reason to care for any of the characters and Blade himself actually gets relegated to the sidelines... bad idea right there.
Few jokes here and there that hit their mark does not a Blade film make. The first film was almost devoid of intentional humour and it just feels out of place in the third installment.
It's just so patchy and hit&miss throughout...
If you're gonna watch it, do it in the cinema, the extra 11 minutes can not save this film so might as well get the full audiovisual experience.

Sorry about the vagueness of the review, but it's difficult to say anything more specific about the problems in the script without giving some major plot points away. Such as they are.

Oh, and a personal message to Goyer:
When Blade is doing his final standoff with the big bad, you do not, I'll say that again, you do NOT intercut it with the secondary characters fighting secondary baddies. No matter how well you've established this little cinematic trick before hand. That just ain't right.
Hyvässä indie-elokuvassa tulee olla zombi, moottorisaha ja ninjoja.

MacGuffin

New Line has announced the release of the 2-disc Blade: Trinity - Platinum Edition on 4/26. Separate R-rated and Unrated versions will be available (SRP $29.95 each), both of which will include a limited edition Marvel comic book. The Unrated edition will feature 10 minutes of added footage - the film will be anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS ES 6.1 audio. The R-rated edition will feature both anamorphic widescreen and full frame video, with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (no DTS). Extras will include 2 audio commentary tracks with writer/director David Goyer (including one with actors Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds), the 16-part Daywalkers, Nightstalkers and Familiars: Inside the World of Blade: Trinity documentary, a blooper reel, an alternate ending, the Goyer on Goyer: The Writer Interviews the Director featurette and more.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Snipes suing NL over 'Trinity'

Wesley Snipes is suing New Line Cinema and other producers of "Blade: Trinity" for allegedly failing to pay him his full salary and using him to promote a potential spinoff franchise involving some of the film's other actors.

Snipes' suit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, seeks $5 million in damages for the salary dispute and unspecified damages for the other claims.

New Line representatives declined comment, citing the ongoing litigation. Other defendants include Avery Pix and "Trinity" director David Goyer.

Snipes' attorney, Marc Greenberg, said the defendants have failed to pay the final $3 million of Snipes' $13 million salary for "Trinity," the third installment in the series that featured him as the lead character, Blade.

The suit also accuses the defendants of trying to capitalize on Snipes' appearance in the film to promote a potential new franchise.

"The true purpose for creating 'Blade III,' " the suit claims, "was to set the stage for a planned spinoff series of movies featuring other cast member Ryan Reynolds, who plays Hannibal King in 'Blade III,' in a new series of movies about the Nightstalkers, the vampire hunters played by Reynolds, Jessica Biel and Natasha Lyonne."

Said Greenberg, "We want to make sure that the public ... understands that Mr. Snipes made his effort to keep the trilogy on track and that those efforts were not successful due to decisions made by the director and other producers."

Snipes also claims that he was denied several contractually entitled rights of approval and consultation on key elements of the film, including director and screenplay.

"The screenplay for 'Blade III' represented a significant departure from the story line of 'Blade' and 'Blade II,' resulting in reduced screen presence for plaintiff Snipes and the Blade character," the lawsuit claims. "The purpose of this reduced screen presence for plaintiff Snipes in 'Blade III' was to allow the introduction and promotion of two new characters as 'sidekicks' to the Blade character and to position those minor characters to be 'spun off' into successive motion pictures without the Blade character."

"Blade: Trinity" cost about $65 million to produce and has grossed about $125 million worldwide since its release in December.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

That's what happens when you choke your director
I like to hug dogs

modage

saw this last night.  agree totally with weak2nd.  liked the first one, thought the second one was better and WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE?!?  not good, not good at all.  makes me worried about batman cause some of the dialogue in this was so bad.  oh well.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brazoliange

Quote from: MacGuffinSnipes suing NL over 'Trinity'

Wesley Snipes is suing New Line Cinema and other producers of "Blade: Trinity" for allegedly failing to pay him his full salary and using him to promote a potential spinoff franchise involving some of the film's other actors.

Snipes' suit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, seeks $5 million in damages for the salary dispute and unspecified damages for the other claims.

New Line representatives declined comment, citing the ongoing litigation. Other defendants include Avery Pix and "Trinity" director David Goyer.

Snipes' attorney, Marc Greenberg, said the defendants have failed to pay the final $3 million of Snipes' $13 million salary for "Trinity," the third installment in the series that featured him as the lead character, Blade.

The suit also accuses the defendants of trying to capitalize on Snipes' appearance in the film to promote a potential new franchise.

"The true purpose for creating 'Blade III,' " the suit claims, "was to set the stage for a planned spinoff series of movies featuring other cast member Ryan Reynolds, who plays Hannibal King in 'Blade III,' in a new series of movies about the Nightstalkers, the vampire hunters played by Reynolds, Jessica Biel and Natasha Lyonne."

Said Greenberg, "We want to make sure that the public ... understands that Mr. Snipes made his effort to keep the trilogy on track and that those efforts were not successful due to decisions made by the director and other producers."

Snipes also claims that he was denied several contractually entitled rights of approval and consultation on key elements of the film, including director and screenplay.

"The screenplay for 'Blade III' represented a significant departure from the story line of 'Blade' and 'Blade II,' resulting in reduced screen presence for plaintiff Snipes and the Blade character," the lawsuit claims. "The purpose of this reduced screen presence for plaintiff Snipes in 'Blade III' was to allow the introduction and promotion of two new characters as 'sidekicks' to the Blade character and to position those minor characters to be 'spun off' into successive motion pictures without the Blade character."

"Blade: Trinity" cost about $65 million to produce and has grossed about $125 million worldwide since its release in December.

What a whiney little bitch Snipes turned into, suing because they changed the storyline? It's a "FICTIONAL story", they're entitled to write it however they want.

:saywhat:
Long live the New Flesh

Raikus

I finally saw this and thank God for all of the bad reviews on here, because it actually came out better than I was expecting. It was fun (but agreed - pointless), Reynold's had some good lines, but flow and just interest was missing.

*SPOILERS*
My one question is, what kind of a botched, aborted ending was that? They almost make him seem possessed when he comes back to life and then the horrid V.O. of Reynold's talking about him waiting to return, while the visuals already show him on a bike riding down the road. Did that make ANY sense to anyone else?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.