blacktino

Started by Kal, July 11, 2010, 10:56:02 PM

pete

the promo video is too vague, like I know it's a joke because of the write-ups and stuff, but the video itself is too quick and contains not that much punchline.  I mean we know it's silly and looks fake, but you can't really link it to citizen kane, not even with the title.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

i agree with pete, in that polka won (i can at least claim to have been the first to think he was right, after his original guess in the blacktino thread, so.. called it that he called it!) and with his assessment of the promo.

i will add that this bit of viral marketing only becomes great when places like slashfilm do some impressive snooping, as shown in this quote from the link that kal posted:

QuoteThe page gives another clue, a copyright notice that lists "Urban Arson", which seems to be the pseudo name of Aaron Burns, a visual effects artist/supervisor who worked on Grindhouse, Planer Terror, and has a feature directorial debut on a dark comedy indie titled Blacktino. The $1 million film is about "an overweight half-black, half-hispanic nerd named Stefan Daily" who was "raised by his black grandmother in a medium sized suburb of Austin, TX."

they're not wrong in calling it a "pseudo name", but i think what they meant to say was pseudonym.. and more accurately it is an anagram. which is kinda clever i guess.

and it's true, in his early days pozer did constantly try to have a go at me.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

I had this kinda figured out, but that's because I'm familiar with Fantastic Fest.

The only thing that confused me was that this seemed to combine the Fantastic shorts that precede the festival movies with the "don't talk in the theater" shorts that start normal Alamo films.  Is this so they can keep showing them after Fantastic Fest?  If so, I'd get rid of the "Fantastic", cuz it comes off as kinda confusing if you don't know that's how all the Fantastic shorts HAVE to end.

If I had seen this in front of a FF movie, I would have laughed, but seeing it here like this, it's a little confusing.

If you're trying to push Blacktino with this idea, I think you should flesh out the concept a little more in the trailer.

It seems to have people talking though, so good job.

Robyn

Quote from: Pas on September 27, 2010, 07:34:07 AM
his last 3 posts have been quite Walrus-esque

I'm confused. Does this mean that I post like a walrus or are you simple referring to my weight?

modage

Congrats on Blacktino's SXSW premiere Kal!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Thanks!

BTW here is the teaser we just put up... full trailer coming in a few days!

http://vimeo.com/19504898

You like?  :yabbse-grin:

matt35mm

Sweet!  I will do my bestest to see it.  Do you think they'll let me in if I say I know the producer?

Pubrick

i don't get the teaser.. is it making fun of the movie?

if it's making fun of precious and the blind side then it doesn't differentiate itself enough to show that it offers anything better than those versions of fat loser stories.

the other thing is that those two films are not really appreciated by the same people... precious is for black people, the blind side is for white people.. so i guess in that way blacktino can fit somewhere in between based on the title alone. but that only places it in the same caliber of those two other films (which were shit).. without telling you what's the catch with this fat kid.

a good teaser is vague in that it doesn't explain the whole plot.. this one makes the mistake of showing nothing at all. i can barely figure out that the main character is the kid.. i mean, i guess it's the kid, but why? he's running at night.. i see.. there's just nothing to get excited about.

anyway congrats on the premiere, it's good that it's going to big places.. in the end any review from xixax doesn't matter at all if you sell the thing at a good price. so this is just me reviewing the teaser like we do with every other trailer around here, don't take it too personally..
under the paving stones.

Kal

P, the point is for it to be ironic and offensive... those movies are not supposed to be "movies about black, fat, pathetic kids with no self esteem". They would never advertise themselves as that. It's offensive and out of line. Those are serious movies (at least for them) and this is something else.

This is a comedy. The idea of the teaser right now is for you have a 'wtf' reaction simply because the trailer will come out in a couple days. I understand where you're coming from but you're the first person that analyzed it so much without understanding how stupid it is and laughing, cause that is the point. You get to see a glimpse of the fat pathetic kid running (and he was suffering for real when he was running) and that is it.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback anyhow. Hopefully you'll like the full trailer and eventually the film.

children with angels

I thought it was excellent! The way it differentiates itself from Precious and The Blind Side is by the fact that the people who made Blacktino would also make a trailer like this.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Kal

Extremely excited to announce that we have our World Premiere on Opening Night at SXSW, right after the Premiere of Source Code.

This is incredible! Anyone here who's been at the Paramount Theatre knows what I'm talking about!

http://schedule.sxsw.com/events/event_FS11061

Stefen

Awesome news. Congrats, Kal. Always good to see someone from xixax doing it big.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Full trailer now online http://vimeo.com/20054352

Please re-post, re-tweet, etc :)

mogwai

Garden state + Rushmore + Napoleon dynamite = Blacktino?