Drew Carey

Started by ono, October 07, 2004, 12:26:54 AM

ono

I've always found Drew Carey to be a really funny, affable guy.  Didn't pay much attention to his show the past few years (final seasons and all, when the Kate character left), but it was great in the beginning, and I'm reliving some of that on reruns (thanks, TBS).  I love the musical quality his shows have.  The numbers they have are always great, especially the ones that become opening themes (like 5 O'clock World by The Vogues).

It was great of him to import "Whose Line is it Anyway?" over here.  Shame ABC canned it, but he's got a new show coming out on WB called "Drew Carey's Green Screen Show" that should be good, and a lot of the principles from "Whose Line...?" will be on it as well.  Carey will be on Conan tomorrow night (10/7-10/8, Thursday/Friday), no doubt in part to discuss his new show.

Stefen

I heard he killed a guy once.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

whose line is it sucked.

my trademark impresison of the show was "like watching a bunch of pathetic old clowns trying to make terminally ill patients laugh at a children's hospital." it was just sad.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: ono.It was great of him to import "Whose Line is it Anyway?" over here.
Not really, because he butchered it. The British version was always better and Clive Anderson even hosting the American version proved that Carey did nothing good for the show.

RegularKarate

Drew Carrey was molested as a child (true story, it's in his book) and he is truly crazy.  That's why he decided he should try to ruin comedy.

The American Whose Line was for old people and people who were searching for a sense of humor, but couldn't quite find one.

This green screen room looks like a mix between Whose Line and the connect the dots segments of PeeWee's Playhouse... but not funny.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Drew Carrey's book was a really good read.  I highly suggest it.  It's called "Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined".

As for all the bashing on Whose Line, I agree, it burned out quickly in America.  It's not as funny as it used to be (though you all seem to claim it never was funny in the U.S.) I personally feel that both hosts just weren't funny, be it Drew or Clive, but I hardly consider Whose Line a show to judge Drew Carrey's humor off of.  He was a host who interjected oneliners every once in a while, and was in the final improv.

His show had its ups and downs, but as far as stand up comedy and things like that goes, I think he's got pretty good dleivery and material.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ono.I've always found Drew Carey to be a really funny, affable guy.  

whats da matta wit ya?? huh! ono, my dear xixaxian you use to have such great tastes. :(  but recently, i feel you are slumping man.  

exhibit A
you actallly like current SNL

exhibit B
your disdain[hate/dislike] for horror/sci-fi

exhibit C
QuoteI've always found Drew Carey to be a really funny

jonas

The Drew Carey show isn't funny at all.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Ravi

I liked this show for a little while when it first started then it started to annoy me.  Whose Line was good for a couple of seasons but there's only so much of that I can take.

Drew Carey's Green Screen is just a boring gimmick.  How this guy keeps getting shows, I have no idea.

cine

Quote from: RaviDrew Carey's Green Screen is just a boring gimmick.  How this guy keeps getting shows, I have no idea.
Idiots love him and they keep him doing projects.

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhats da matta wit ya?? huh! ono, my dear xixaxian you use to have such great tastes. :(  but recently, i feel you are slumping man.
Haha, I think the slump is over.  I watched Green Screen a couple times, and Ravi's right, it is just a gimmick.  I'm still not as hard on the guy as a person and a comedian as most people, and I think The Drew Carey Show had its moments (even though the show did go on way too long).