Anthony Minghella

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 17, 2003, 10:37:34 PM

j_scott_stroup04

So, what's the consensus on Minghella?  I've only seen Talented Mr. Ripley, but Cold Mountain looks really good, and the English Patient is supposed to really good.  It seems to me, that he's not really getting the credit he deserves.  Does his first few films suck or something?  Based on his last three (as far as the critics are concerned), you'd think that he'd be the talk of Hollywood.  So...what's the deal?
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

Finn

I really liked The English Patient, but I loved Talented Mr. Ripley. Cold Mountain looks like it might be his weakest of them all.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

The Silver Bullet

I think The Talented Mr. Ripley is a masterpiece. It's my second favourite film of 1999 behind Eyes Wide Shut. It's just pitch-perfect.

And you can feel Minghella as you watch it, it's not just a standard high-gloss picture. He's there in every moment, making him [to me] an auteur in the vein of David Lean.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

j_scott_stroup04

Great comparison between Minghella and Lean.  I couldn't put my finger on who he reminds me of, and that's who, David Lean.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

molly

English Patient was an exhausting experience for me. what do you think of that movie?

mogwai

Quote from: mollyEnglish Patient was an exhausting experience for me. what do you think of that movie?
shite.

Chest Rockwell

I'm not a big fan of Minghella. He makes those blockbuster pictures that don't have distinguished directing. However, for blockbusters, his are pretty good. And for the record, Talented Mr. Ripley is by far is best.

MacGuffin

Anthony Minghella to Adapt Jensen's Louis Drax
Source: Variety

Anthony Minghella will write and direct a feature for Miramax Films based on British author Liz Jensen's forthcoming novel "The Ninth Life of Louis Drax," marking the Cold Mountain helmer's fourth consecutive project for the studio.

The book will be released this June in the U.K. and in January in the U.S.. Variety says it is a surreal psychological thriller about an accident-prone 9-year-old problem child lying in a deep coma and the doctor who cares for him.

Besides "Mountain", Minghella previously worked together with Miramax on The Talented Mr. Ripley and The English Patient, which won the company its first best picture Oscar in 1997.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

That's sort of funny considering that Minghella's trying to move away from literary adaptations.

Or so he says.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Stefen

He rules. That scene in talented mr ripley where dickie and tom are in the boat was completely creepy, my jaw dropped when that movie took it's dramatic turn.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

'Breaking' news for Minghella
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Anthony Minghella is returning to the director's chair with "Breaking and Entering," a London-set drama that he also will write and produce with his Mirage Enterprises partner Sydney Pollack for Miramax Films.

"Breaking" is a contemporary story about theft, both emotional and criminal. The story follows an encounter between a yuppie architect and a young Muslim thief who breaks into his office. A series of related incidents leads the architect to re-evaluate his life.

Miramax and Mirage entered into a three-year producing agreement at the start of last year. Most recently, the two set Minghella to adapt and direct the screen version of "The Ninth Life of Louis Drax," a novel by British author Liz Jensen.

Minghella's directing credits include "Cold Mountain," "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and "The English Patient."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

The English Patient = long + slowly paced + desert = boring shit

The Talented Mr. Ripley = long + slowly paced + fucked up = pure brilliance

Cold Mountain = long + slowly paced + Civil War = boring shit

Anthony Minghella = boring shit + brilliant + boring shit = mixed results (try again under normal conditions)

MacGuffin

Minghella investigates 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency'
Source: Production Weekly

Anthony Minghella is making his next directorial effort an adaptation of Alexander McCall Smith's bestselling series "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency," about a female gumshoe in South Africa. Penned by Richard Curtis and Minghella, The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency, is located in Gaborone, Botswana and consists of one woman the engaging Precious Ramotswe. A cross between Kinsey Millhone and Miss Marple, this unlikely heroine specializes in missing husbands, wayward daughters, con men and impostors. When she sets out on the trail of a missing child she is tumbled headlong into some strange situations and not a little danger. Deftly interweaving tragedy and humor to create a memorable tale of human desires and foibles, the story is also an evocative portrait of a distant world. The project is eyeing a May production start in Botswana, Africa.

Skeleton FilmWorks