Scorsese film study project! help!

Started by Ernie, June 07, 2003, 06:29:57 PM

Ernie

Alright, first and foremost...please don't move this to the scorsese board, not enough people go there, a lot more go here and it's kind of important so seriously, please don't move it. I need some people's help and I don't want this to get overlooked.

So, I'm doing my final project for film study on Taxi Driver. I'll keep this short and sweet...for a small part of the project, I need to know who scorsese has influenced and who he was influenced by (check below to see what I have so far, please correct me on any of them if I am wrong)...so if you guys could just reply listing who you know/think he has been influenced by and who you know/think he has influenced...that would be great. I think that's all I really need from you guys, everything else I found on IMDB. I know some of you guys really know scorsese so don't bullshit me please, this really is a final project, I'm not just trying to figure out something I want to know by asking creatively...this thing is due tuesday. Also, if it just your opinion...don't worry about. As long as you truly think it's valid, I'll take your word for it.

WHO HE WAS INFLUENCED BY:

Alfred Hitchcock
Francois Truffaut
Howard Hawks
Jean Luc Godard
John Cassevetes
John Ford
Michael Powell
Orson Welles

WHO HE HAS INFLUENCED:

David O. Russell
Paul Thomas Anderson
Quentin Tarantino
Wes Anderson

There's gotta be more for the latter, I'm just totally blanking here. Thanks in advance to you.

children with angels

It would probably be helpful to mention Doug Liman's direct homage/parody in Swingers (particularly the Goodfella's steady-cam-into-the-restaurant shot). The characters even acknowledge the fact that all directors are influenced and steal from each other. In particular they also mention:

Quentin Tarantino. Surely a big candidate for someone influenced by Marty.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MrBurgerKing

How about classic American film-noir?

Ernie

Quote from: MrBurgerKingImagine if Sergio Leone were still alive, and got his hands on Gangs of New York. Now that would be a great epic.

I can't believe we both forgot about that prick, Tarantino.

I can't believe I forgot him, thanks to CWA for that, would've been pissed had I left him out.

Ernie

Quote from: MrBurgerKingHow about classic American film-noir?

Individuals only please. By the way, thanks for your help. I didn't like your "I won't write your paper for you" comment though. That's kinda snippy man. Do you realize how much more I have to do? This is a very small portion of the project. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful...I just don't want you to think your doing the thing for me. It's not just a "paper" either...it's an essay, fact sheet, and 10 minute presentation. Thanks again though.

MrBurgerKing

I don't like my comments either. Most people don't, we're all in that club that hates my comments. I guess it's because of the Burger King references. It's gotten old and tired; nobody wants to hear them anymore. For that reason, I am done with the Burger King comments. It's time to move on and let go of them. I will never make another burger comment or reference again. I will still eat at fast food often, but I will not bring it up in a movie board.

children with angels

I always think of Fellini as an influence on Scorcese. The sense of flowing movement you often get in both their movies, when a tracking shot carries you around an entire scene, introducing different characters.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MacGuffin

Influenced By:
Sam Fuller
Sergei Eisenstein
Sam Peckinpah

Influenced:
Guy Ritchie
The Hughes Brothers
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Influenced by: Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
                     Stan Brackage
                     David Croeneberg (in his later years)
                     Roberto Rosselini
                     Vittorio De Sica
                     Vincente Minnelli

Influenced: David Croeneberg

~rougerum

modage

in his book Scorsese on Scorsese he mentions going to see the Powell/Pressburger movie THE RED SHOES.  he also mentions the POWELL movie PEEPING TOM.  also ON THE WATERFRONT (Kazan).

in the rolling stone article he wrote entitled THE LEADING MAN he also says...

watching tv as a kid, i was always drawn to the films of humphrey bogart and james cagney and especially john garfield.  in FORCE OF EVIL and BODY AND SOUL garfield has so much going on in his eyes.  i remember him in WE WERE STRANGERS; its a film about the cuban underground.  i didnt understand the politics-i was seven-but i identified with his sense of mission.  it still resonates.

my friends and i loved Bogart in Casablanca

There I am, hitting puberty right in the middle of ON THE WATERFRONT,  EAST OF EDEN and THE SEARCHERS.

another turning point for me as a boy was james dean in EAST OF EDEN

john wayne...in RED RIVER

Cary Grant in NOTORIOUS

Nicholson in FIVE EASY PIECES, that was it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI don't like my comments either. Most people don't, we're all in that club that hates my comments. I guess it's because of the Burger King references. It's gotten old and tired; nobody wants to hear them anymore. For that reason, I am done with the Burger King comments. It's time to move on and let go of them. I will never make another burger comment or reference again. I will still eat at fast food often, but I will not bring it up in a movie board.

:cry: for serious?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Excellent work, Modern Age. I should have rememebered Elia Kazan, because he is one of the major guys of influence for Scorsese.

~rougerum

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MrBurgerKingI don't like my comments either. Most people don't, we're all in that club that hates my comments. I guess it's because of the Burger King references. It's gotten old and tired; nobody wants to hear them anymore. For that reason, I am done with the Burger King comments. It's time to move on and let go of them. I will never make another burger comment or reference again. I will still eat at fast food often, but I will not bring it up in a movie board.

:cry: for serious?

I know, that is kinda sad. Did you really think an idea like that was going to last forever though burgerking? No offense. I'm still up for more of it, but yeah...a bunch of people have gotten pissed off about it. I don't mind, I was just talking about what you said about writing the paper for me. That's all I was pointing out. That's the only comment that you've made that's bothered me.

Ernie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetInfluenced by: Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
                     Stan Brackage
                     David Croeneberg (in his later years)
                     Roberto Rosselini
                     Vittorio De Sica
                     Vincente Minnelli

Influenced: David Croeneberg

~rougerum

That's right, how could I forget Michael Powell...thanks GT. I won't be using all these cause I don't want to come off as a snob in front of the whole class but really, thanks for the effort.

Thank you to everyone. I don't even know some of these people.

SHAFTR

Alright, I will only talk about what I know...so, I know that Scorsese is an influence on Kevin Smith.  The Last Temptation of Christ is always listed as one of his favorite films of all time.  Also, if I remember right he once answered one of my posted questions as Scorsese being his favorite director of all time.

I hope that helps.  You could maybe use that to show how he has influence directors of much different works.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"