Brokeback Mountain

Started by Ghostboy, August 25, 2005, 02:42:52 PM

Pozer

Quote from: permanent username on February 12, 2006, 12:04:16 AM
and i remember thinking that more could have been done with shot framing
Whuuuuuuuuuuut?

©brad

man this movie was sooooo good and sad. the cast was FANTASTIC. i thought jake was just as good as heath.

SPOILERS BELOW FOLKS

my only complaint, and i'm still on the fence on how i feel with this one, is that when they first hook up, does it come too abruptly? i felt we were short one scene before this that needed to show that these dudes were curious about eachother sexually (perfect time for this woulda been when heath gets naked by the river in the background and jake is in the foreground. all we need is for jake to catch a glimpse of heath in his birthday suit (and vice-versa)). but that didn't happen. jake never saw him naked, and i wasn't really feeling much sexual chemistry (or curiosity rather) before the tent scene. furthermore, you would've figured the first time they hooked up they would've exchanged hand jobs or something equally meaningless. but no, they really jumped right into full-blown sex, which seemed unusual given their mindset at the time—nervous, hesitant, embarrassed. 

again, it's a minor complaint. it just felt really rushed (they go from sharing a tent on a cold night to going all the way without even a kiss or a little foreplay in between). however, i did like how rough the sexual interaction(s) were.

RegularKarate

Spoilers

I completely disagree... one, I feel like there was chemestry present before that scene and two, I think one of the strongest things  about the film is the immediate passion the two are drawn into.  If they had started off light, it wouldn't have worked as well for the relationship.

godardian

I thought the implication during the Ennis-strips-in-the-background scene, with Jack's face relatively well into the foreground, was that there was definitely some interest, some out-of-the-corner-of-the-eye glimpse being caught. The visual there was really perfect to make us aware of at least some interest, I thought. . . . As someone who's been there, I can vouch for this being the case: The more you really want to get a full-on look, the more wary you are of being caught staring (perhaps this is true of anyone, but the situation probably occurs more often for same-sexers). It's no longer casual, but awkward, and I saw the framing there as capturing both the desire and the awkwardness.

I agree, cBrad, about the movie being so good and so sad. I haven't felt that way for that exact reason since the campfire scene in My Own Private Idaho, except this time the feeling lasted for the whole movie (at least Ennis and Jack got to be together, though, however inadequately).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

JG

i'm pretty sure that there's a lot of boyish playfullness (them wrestling each other) before the sex scene that defintiley creates a chemistry.  i wonder if i would have felt that way if i didn't konw going into the movie that they were going to hook up.  cause i was definitley subconciously looking for the "chemistry" up to them first...y'know... 

Crash

Quote from: ©brad on February 13, 2006, 06:20:59 PM

when they first hook up, does it come too abruptly? i felt we were short one scene before this that needed to show that these dudes were curious about eachother sexually ... i wasn't really feeling much sexual chemistry (or curiosity rather) before the tent scene. furthermore, you would've figured the first time they hooked up they would've exchanged hand jobs or something equally meaningless. but no, they really jumped right into full-blown sex, which seemed unusual given their mindset at the time—nervous, hesitant, embarrassed. 

As indiscreet as you were on their sexual advancements, I do agree. I can't say that I've seen the film but I read the script last night. Maybe the sexual tension went over my radar but I didn't really notice any sexual curiosity either. Again, I haven't seen the film so my observations very well may be misled. And about the "hand job" ordeal, I understand what you mean. How did they suddenly know how to have anal sex? Was the sexual tension mounting so much that one forbidden touch sparked such a fire in them? This leads me to believe that they had experimented in homosexuality before or with at  least with anal sex. I would imagine that for a man to cross the boundary from women to men, he would forego an unprecedented amount of sexual attraction. Anyway, I felt the dialogue was very real and genuine considering my Being from Arkansas and having gone to college in Texas. 
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Crash on February 14, 2006, 02:00:09 AMHow did they suddenly know how to have anal sex?

Because it's pretty much the same as vaginal sex but with an asshole instead.

Crash

Quote from: I Love a Magician on February 14, 2006, 02:25:12 AM
Quote from: Crash on February 14, 2006, 02:00:09 AMHow did they suddenly know how to have anal sex?

Because it's pretty much the same as vaginal sex but with an asshole instead.

you keep it classy, black beard.

Pubrick

Quote from: Crash on February 14, 2006, 02:00:09 AM
As indiscreet as you were on their sexual advancements, I do agree. I can't say that I've seen the film but I read the script last night. Maybe the sexual tension went over my radar but I didn't really notice any sexual curiosity either. Again, I haven't seen the film so my observations very well may be misled. And about the "hand job" ordeal, I understand what you mean. How did they suddenly know how to have anal sex? Was the sexual tension mounting so much that one forbidden touch sparked such a fire in them? This leads me to believe that they had experimented in homosexuality before or with at  least with anal sex. I would imagine that for a man to cross the boundary from women to men, he would forego an unprecedented amount of sexual attraction. Anyway, I felt the dialogue was very real and genuine considering my Being from Arkansas and having gone to college in Texas. 
just so you know, there's only so many times you can cop out by pretending you're joking before people start believing you really are a retard.
under the paving stones.

Crash

Quote from: Pubrick on February 15, 2006, 09:16:15 AM
just so ypu know, there's only so many times you can cop out by pretending you're joking before people start believing you really are a retard.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.
Do you hate me or something? Cuz it sure sounds like it.

I threw a disclaimer before I said anything. What's your point?

Pubrick

so did you hav to practice on a pie or something before you had sex for the first time? did you try (and presumably fail) your first attempt with a real person and have to go back to the drawing board?

oh you mean you were being sarcastic about that part.. then why is it wedged between the rest of your legitimate review? or did you mean the whole thing was a joke. like i said, at some point the "joke" excuse becomes invalid. i don't hate you, i just think you've reached that point.
under the paving stones.

Thrindle

Quote from: godardian on February 13, 2006, 07:07:03 PM
I thought the implication during the Ennis-strips-in-the-background scene, with Jack's face relatively well into the foreground, was that there was definitely some interest, some out-of-the-corner-of-the-eye glimpse being caught. The visual there was really perfect to make us aware of at least some interest, I thought. . . .
I thought exactly the same thing.  I haven't seen the movie again lately but I remember thinking about the way he swallowed hard, and seemed slightly uncomfortable, that his desire translated well.  I don't know how chemistry is between two men, because I am female and we are way more open with our emotions, but Ennis's ability to express himself to Jack was evident from the get go. 

I too thought the initial sex scene was a little hurried, but it was also filled with a tacit desire, alcohol, and need.  Actually, as I write this, I second guess myself... it wasn't hurried, it was filled with passion. 

As for the dude who said, "How did they know how to have anal?"... yes that's a stupid question (Heath's hand spit implies the common sense you might just lack)... but it is a good question in the pondering of... "Did Jack ever do that before?"   

I'm guessing yes.  Or is that too blatantly obvious?
Classic.

Crash

Quote from: Pubrick on February 15, 2006, 10:41:43 AM
so did you hav to practice on a pie or something before you had sex for the first time? did you try (and presumably fail) your first attempt with a real person and have to go back to the drawing board?

I'm not asking how did they know what anal sex was. I definitely worded it wrong. -234324 points for me. My question was how did they both know they wanted it? How did they know to move on to full on sex? From nothing to the maximum. How did they both so quickly drop the "not-attracted" facade. I believe this is a legitimate question.

Quote from: ©brad on February 13, 2006, 06:20:59 PM
you would've figured the first time they hooked up they would've exchanged hand jobs or something equally meaningless. but no, they really jumped right into full-blown sex, which seemed unusual given their mindset at the time—nervous, hesitant, embarrassed. 

(they go from sharing a tent on a cold night to going all the way without even a kiss or a little foreplay in between).

Exactly.

Quote from: Pubrick on February 15, 2006, 10:41:43 AM
i don't hate you, i just think you've reached that point.

:yabbse-undecided: Didn't mean any mischief.

©brad

Quote from: Thrindle on February 15, 2006, 07:58:24 PMI too thought the initial sex scene was a little hurried, but it was also filled with a tacit desire, alcohol, and need.  Actually, as I write this, I second guess myself... it wasn't hurried, it was filled with passion.

i think i'm going to second guess myself as well and agree with you. especially after thinking about this: 

Quote from: Thrindle on February 15, 2006, 07:58:24 PMAs for the dude who said, "How did they know how to have anal?"... yes that's a stupid question (Heath's hand spit implies the common sense you might just lack)... but it is a good question in the pondering of... "Did Jack ever do that before?"   

I'm guessing yes.  Or is that too blatantly obvious?

it wasn't blatantly obvious to me at first, but it makes sense that jack had some experience with men before. i mean, he knew exactly where to go in mexico for a bit of the old in and out, and we know that he had some other guy in the states he was involved with.

Fernando

This along with Downfall are the best flims I've seen, of course I haven't seen much but still.

The only thing I can think to say is that it affected me deeply, like no other flim has in many years, without a doubt one of the most emotional flims I've seen.

My Pubrick-esque review:

worked
everything

failed
nothing

winner
us

Note to P: If you have had a crush on M. Williams just wait and see her in this, I never liked her before but here she looks so lovely.